Full Consent of the Will

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holly3278
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Holly3278

Guest
I know that one condition for a grave sin to be mortal is that it must be done with full consent of the will but what exactly does this mean? Does it mean that one must reflect on the sin for a time before they commit it regardless of whether they reflect on it for a few seconds, few minutes, few hours, or even days and weeks? Also, how is full consent of the will diminished in people with certain mental illnesses? Basically, how exactly is full consent of the will defined. I appreciate any answers I get on this because I have often been told it is very difficult for me to commit a mortal sin because my mental illnesses make me have less full consent of the will.
 
Full Consent of the will gets tricky with sins of thought, but are quite simple with many sins of action. For example, sex (except in cases of rape or druggage) is an act of the will (and requires full will). As with murder.
 
I know that one condition for a grave sin to be mortal is that it must be done with full consent of the will but what exactly does this mean? Does it mean that one must reflect on the sin for a time before they commit it regardless of whether they reflect on it for a few seconds, few minutes, few hours, or even days and weeks? Also, how is full consent of the will diminished in people with certain mental illnesses? Basically, how exactly is full consent of the will defined. I appreciate any answers I get on this because I have often been told it is very difficult for me to commit a mortal sin because my mental illnesses make me have less full consent of the will.
Assuming no mental incapacity or coercion, if you know a sin is of grave matter and you go ahead and commit it then the condition “full consent of the will” is satisfied.

It is a mistake to think that you must ponder on a grave act before going ahead for it to be a mortal sin. Some people who know a sin is of grave matter say they didn’t think about it before they committed the sin so it can’t be a mortal sin. They are only deluding themselves.
 
Here is an article by apologist James Akin regarding mortal sin that discusses this issue:

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/12/assessing_morta.html

It’s quite long, but I think helpful. In short, though, you will not find any clear-cut answers to this question. As Jimmy Akin says: “The fact is that the Church has a stronger grasp on the principles involved in this area than it has on how they are to be applied in practice.”

Of course, with regard to mortal sin and the question of whether full consent has been given, we should generally* say: if in doubt, confess it out.

(* unless one is scrupulous)
 
Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate them. I guess what I am trying to determine is whether or not my mental illness sufficiently reduces my culpability to the point where I can’t easily commit a mortal sin. I have had three different priests tell me that it is very difficult for a person in my situation to commit a mortal sin because of my mental illness. I have also had one woman who used to be my spiritual director tell me this. I do trust them on this but yet I’m also skeptical. I guess I just don’t understand how simply having a severe mental illness can sufficiently reduce one’s free will enough to make committing a mortal sin very difficult.
 
please listen to your spiritual director and the priests who know you and your illness well. No on here is qualified to speak on that to you.
 
please listen to your spiritual director and the priests who know you and your illness well. No on here is qualified to speak on that to you.
Holly - I agree completely with 1ke here.
The best people to discuss these issues with are those who know you the best. These folks can sit down with you face to face and work through the various things that are troubling you. It would be extremely difficult to do this on-line, even if it were just a one on one conversation…In an open forum, it’s is nearly impossible.

Peace
James
 
Here is an article by apologist James Akin regarding mortal sin that discusses this issue:

jimmyakin.typepad.com/defensor_fidei/2006/12/assessing_morta.html

It’s quite long, but I think helpful. In short, though, you will not find any clear-cut answers to this question. As Jimmy Akin says: “The fact is that the Church has a stronger grasp on the principles involved in this area than it has on how they are to be applied in practice.”

Of course, with regard to mortal sin and the question of whether full consent has been given, we should generally* say: if in doubt, confess it out.
I was in doubt. I confessed it out. I also told the Priest that I didn´t think it was a mortal sin. He basically told me that it was my conscience that had to be the deciding factor. Then He gave me absolution. God bless

(* unless one is scrupulous)
 
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I will talk with my spiritual director about this the next time I see him. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top