Fundamentalist Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stonez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stonez

Guest
Hi all,

I hope this thread is in the correct forum. šŸ˜‰

Anyway, I have a friend who goes to a non-denominational christian church. The church professes (in my words) if it ain’t in the bible it ain’t happenin’. In other words this is a sola-scriptura church.

And my question is: are people who go to these type churches considered to be Fundamentalists?

I ask because I am considering buying Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism, and was wondering if the book is geared towards sola-scriptura people.
 
Hi all,

I hope this thread is in the correct forum. šŸ˜‰

Anyway, I have a friend who goes to a non-denominational christian church. The church professes (in my words) if it ain’t in the bible it ain’t happenin’. In other words this is a sola-scriptura church.

And my question is: are people who go to these type churches considered to be Fundamentalists?

I ask because I am considering buying Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism, and was wondering if the book is geared towards sola-scriptura people.
Typically, Evangelicals are more ā€œopen-mindedā€ to discussion with people outside of their church. Fundamentalists are the more closed-minded. However, in any given church, you could have combinations of both. These labels are really irrelevant at this point. Protestantism is so diverse at this point, these labels really don’t mean much anymore. Catholicism and Fundamentalism is an EXCELLENT choice informationally. However, be careful as you read it. Karl takes a very angry tone towards Fundamentalists in this book. Not that I don’t understand why. However, I found myself to be extremely angry at Protestants after reading it. That anger does not serve any good purpose. So read the book. Take the information provided. But remember to remain charitable in your heart. It is not about us winning an argument. It is about us winning souls to Christ’s Church. That only happens when the truth is preached in love.
 
they might be considered fundementalists or they might just be regular evangelical it all depends on what they believe. Most protestant denominations believe in sola scriptura even the extremly liberal protestants hold a sola scriptura view point.

another thing to note is that of they are saying ā€œif it ain’t in the bible it aint happeninā€™ā€ then logically, that must mean that the bible ain’t happening becuase one cannot know the canon of scripture by sola scriptura.
 
Techinically speaking no. If applied correctly Fundmentalists must accept a specific theology and out look. The term Fundamentalist is born from a series of books call The Fundamentals which were published in the early 1900’s (or maybe late 1800’s can’t remember).

The books gave name to a movement that in the early part of the 1900’s was underway in reaction too perceived liberal tendancies within Evangelical denominations. If memory serves this movement took root originally in England than moved into the US and Canada. It was giving a further boost by the advent of Scofield Reference Bible which is still very popular in Evangelical circles to this day. This movement also spanned many Evangelical denominations but did not necessarily take them over. So even within the same denomination one could find Fundamentalist and non-Fundamentalists. In this way it is similar to the Charismatic movement in modern Christianity.

So while almost all Protestant denominations officially believe in Sola Scriptura (to my knowledge) not all are Fundamentalists. I hope this helps.
 
Techinically speaking no. If applied correctly Fundmentalists must accept a specific theology and out look. The term Fundamentalist is born from a series of books call The Fundamentals which were published in the early 1900’s (or maybe late 1800’s can’t remember).

The books gave name to a movement that in the early part of the 1900’s was underway in reaction too perceived liberal tendancies within Evangelical denominations. If memory serves this movement took root originally in England than moved into the US and Canada. It was giving a further boost by the advent of Scofield Reference Bible which is still very popular in Evangelical circles to this day. This movement also spanned many Evangelical denominations but did not necessarily take them over. So even within the same denomination one could find Fundamentalist and non-Fundamentalists. In this way it is similar to the Charismatic movement in modern Christianity.

So while almost all Protestant denominations officially believe in Sola Scriptura (to my knowledge) not all are Fundamentalists. I hope this helps.
Correct. Much more finely articulated than my post as well. Good job.
 
Another way of looking at it, is to see that even though they are not Fundimentalists in the truest sense, they share the same underlying motive – to adhere absolutely to holy scripture and eschew the detrious of tradition.

If you ā€œrebootedā€ a Fundimentalist church you’d get essentialy the same thing – the Bible and people trying to figure it out from scratch.
 
I need to correct a statement.

I asked my friend just now whether her church is fundamentalist or evangelical and she said it is the latter.

Now with this new information, does Catholicism and Fundamentalism** have anything to do with evangelical protestantism?
 
I need to correct a statement.

I asked my friend just now whether her church is fundamentalist or evangelical and she said it is the latter.

Now with this new information, does Catholicism and Fundamentalism have anything to do with evangelical protestantism?
Yes. Marcus Grodi was not a Fundamentalist when he read Catholicism and Fundamentalism. By Chapter 4 he knew he was in big trouble, and the rest is history.

Speaking of Fundamentalism, we Catholics are Fundamentalists in some measure as well. Fundamentalism can be a good thing. We believe in the Resurrection, the Virgin Birth, the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture, the literal truth of the Second Coming . . . we have a lot in common.
 
Making a label stick is not easy, is it?
I’ve heard of certain views within the Church labeled Fundamentalist Catholic, or Evangelical Catholic.Is the Pope conservative or liberal? It depends on what you are talking about and what your definition is. Labels tend to be generalizations.
Mark Twain probably said it best:
Generalizatons are no damn good. Including this one.
 
Now with this new information, does Catholicism and Fundamentalism** have anything to do with evangelical protestantism?
Fundamentalists have been fighting tooth and nail to keep their name from being dragged though he mud but just turn on the evening news and you’ll see who won that culture war. Now, many have given up and are re-branding themselves with the less besmirched name *Evangelical. *

From a broad perspective, it makes sense to classify them in the Protestant branch since the only other two branches are either Catholic or Orthodox. Likewise the name Evangelical Protestant makes sense since they are in fact the Evangelical kind of Protestant.

However such re-branded fundamentalists are not usually self-described Protestants of any type (not even evangelical protestants) since they descended from Anabaptists (aka Baptists) and, at least in their own minds, they’re not ā€œprotestingā€ the Catholic church as much as they are returning to the pre-Catholic roots of Christianity as recorded in the Bible. (Which they believe to be a pre-Catholic book.)

Since the goal of Fundamentalism is to avoid getting stuck in the mistakes of the past, the name ā€œnon-denomā€ is a good choice and since it’s such a vague name it should be more resilient against future re-naming attacks.
 
Hi all,

I hope this thread is in the correct forum. šŸ˜‰

Anyway, I have a friend who goes to a non-denominational christian church. The church professes (in my words) if it ain’t in the bible it ain’t happenin’. In other words this is a sola-scriptura church.

And my question is: are people who go to these type churches considered to be Fundamentalists?

I ask because I am considering buying Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism, and was wondering if the book is geared towards sola-scriptura people.
Another book you might want to consider is *Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic *by David Currie,a former fundamentalist Christian. I haven’t read the book, but I’ve heard it’s very good, and it might be more charitable in tone if that’s a concern if you’re planning to share it with someone from your friend’s church
 
Hi all,

I hope this thread is in the correct forum. šŸ˜‰

Anyway, I have a friend who goes to a non-denominational christian church. The church professes (in my words) if it ain’t in the bible it ain’t happenin’. In other words this is a sola-scriptura church.

And my question is: are people who go to these type churches considered to be Fundamentalists?

I ask because I am considering buying Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism, and was wondering if the book is geared towards sola-scriptura people.
I went to a similar Church until recently. We would not call ourselves Fundamentalists. However, when I read
Catholicism and Fundamentalism I found to my dismay that for the most part it did accurately reflect my beliefs. Not all of it was spot on, but enough so to make a huge impact on my conversion journey. I would say that book is a pretty good place to start.
 
Here is a link to an online version to The Fundamentals with a couple of forwards.

To me some one can only be called a fundamentalist if they prescribe to all the fundamentals. Therefore, calling someone a fundamentalist Catholic is a misnomer. I am usually offended if someone calls me that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top