Funeral Mass on Ash Wednesday?

• Thread starter Thread starter cjd
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cjd

I was wondering if it is (in)appropriate to have a funeral mass on Ash Wednesday? There has been conflicting information, but in this case the pastor has personally said it was permissible. I am confused after consulting the GIRM. Can anyone help?

Cannot speak to it being permitted, however, most Parishes I know have more than one Standing Room Only Mass on Ash Wednesday. For the sake of planning it would seem the better decision to have a funeral the next day.

I just checked my ORDO. The Funeral Mass IS permitted on Ash Wednesday; OTOH, Ritual Masses, such as the Nuptial Mass, aren’t. (GIRM 372 & 380).

it is permitted, but in many parishes there are Masses and services scheduled most of the day, so it might by hard to find a church that has time for another funeral and full Mass. Also if passers-by see the church open they will likely come in expecting to receive ashes.

My folks are headed to a funeral mass today. I thought it was odd too when I heard what they were doing. Sadly I suppose it’s a necessity. And the times aren’t conflicting with ash Wednesday masses at all. They still had morning mass and will have evening mass. The funeral is during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back