Funeral Mass question

  • Thread starter Thread starter petesgottheseat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petesgottheseat

Guest
As far as pictures go…is it just one big portrait of the deceased or a collage of pictures? And if the collage are “allowed” what types are the norm? Thanks and God Bless!
 
As far as pictures go…is it just one big portrait of the deceased or a collage of pictures? And if the collage are “allowed” what types are the norm? Thanks and God Bless!
During the Mass? I have never been to a Catholic funeral Mass that had pictures inside the Church. There are usually pictures on the Worship Aid, in the foyer and at the funeral home if there is a vigil or rosary but not in the Church with the Mass.
 
I don’t believe I’ve even seen a photograph of the deceased during Mass except in the case of a cremation, and in that case the only wake was a two hour visitation right in the sanctuary before the Mass started, so I expect it was there more for the wake than for Mass.
 
Over the last year I have been to 2 funerals which used pictures. The first was a friend’s mother who had donated her body to the local university and in place of a coffin there was a beautiful picture of her mother. The second was my uncle who had his visitation within the church, but at the back. When his coffin was brought to the front of the church the picture that had been on top was left behind.
 
I don’t believe I’ve even seen a photograph of the deceased during Mass except in the case of a cremation, and in that case the only wake was a two hour visitation right in the sanctuary before the Mass started, so I expect it was there more for the wake than for Mass.
I have had the same experience. The pictures were at the funeral home, and perhaps in the entry for the viewing before the Mass (can’t really remember for certain), but never in the sanctuary.

I personally appreciate them being at the funeral home as the wake is, IMO, for remembering the deceased, whereas the Mass is more focused on God and the Resurrection of the dead.
 
I have never seen them at any Catholic funerals either. I have seen them at the funeral home. But only recently. (collage) I think it is only in movies and on TV that you see them in church and they are usually not Catholic services.
 
You can have photos outside in the Narthex, where people are signing the guest book, but you would need to check with the church to be sure it’s OK.

Otherwise, it’s done at memorial services, at the funeral home. Many of them have screens and they will put together a slide show from photos contributed by family and friends. Usually a memorial service is held for non-religious families.

However, I think the denominations are OK with a photo up on or near the coffin or instead of a coffin. Pretty sure the Baptists do this at least some of the time.

You can also have photos at the house when you hold a reception after the burial.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top