R
Road2Damascus
Guest
In Galatians 5, we read this:
So, related to the Mosaic Law, perhaps the Code of Leviticus, this seems to largely play that Law down as said I believe, “if you violate one, you violate all”. What is our approach to the Old Testament? Does the New Testament totally supplant it? Partially? Thank you for any comments.
I believe there is a broad approach to this question, the total picture and also, the detailed look, what Paul was implying. In some ways, it sounds like Paul is rebuking the old law so this is an important point. Circumcision here for me, seems to me to mean the Mosaic Law in total so to speak. But I’m listening and may be wrong.
Also, I do enjoy the NIV translation on this, especially 4. “You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ.” Alienated, it seems to drive home the point more and that verse 4 seems very serious.
2 I, Paul, give you my word that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you at all.
3 I give my assurance once again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law;
4 once you seek to be reckoned as upright through the Law, then you have separated yourself from Christ, you have fallen away from grace.
5 We are led by the Spirit to wait in the confident hope of saving justice through faith,
catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=55&bible_chapter=56 since in Christ Jesus it is not being circumcised or being uncircumcised that can effect anything – only faith working through love.
So, related to the Mosaic Law, perhaps the Code of Leviticus, this seems to largely play that Law down as said I believe, “if you violate one, you violate all”. What is our approach to the Old Testament? Does the New Testament totally supplant it? Partially? Thank you for any comments.
I believe there is a broad approach to this question, the total picture and also, the detailed look, what Paul was implying. In some ways, it sounds like Paul is rebuking the old law so this is an important point. Circumcision here for me, seems to me to mean the Mosaic Law in total so to speak. But I’m listening and may be wrong.
Also, I do enjoy the NIV translation on this, especially 4. “You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ.” Alienated, it seems to drive home the point more and that verse 4 seems very serious.
I hope all of this is proper and again, I thank you.2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 *You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. *5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.- NIV