Garden Statue??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Closet_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Closet_Catholic

Guest
Just purchased a grotto and statue of the Holy Mother. Since I am not a Catholic - yet - my question is the following:

Is there any tradition that goes along with the initial placement of the statue in my garden? Is there a blessing that needs to be said, should Holy water be sprinkled on it?

Sorry for the obviously ignorant questions…

Thanks!

Closet Catholic
 
Hi, Closet Catholic!

There are no formal “installment” ceremonies. If you feel guided to, a prayer or two would suffice after you install it. And, since it’s a sacramental, you may want to have it blessed. I remember that we lived in our house for about 4 years before I asked our parish secretary if priests still came out to bless houses. Yes, they do! And Father was nice enough to bless the statue on our front lawn, too.
 
I would have the statue blessed by a priest… then, plant LOTS of lovely flowers around it! :flowers:

God bless.
 
Why stay a closet catholic? Just go full bore ahead and step straight into the light. If that’s where you are at. i’m not sure? our Lord often asked people to just drop everything and follow him and some did and some didn’t. Just drop everything and follow him. It’s a wonderful journey he’ll take you on. Sure there’s roses and thorns but the further you go the more you’ll discover the wondrous love of God in all. It really is a quite fascinating journey this journey of faith. Good luck and God bless:thumbsup: 🙂
 
Thanks, John. I will - but it is a very difficult step. I grew up in a very Protestant culture and so did my wife. The last Catholic on either side of our family was my Irish Immigrant grandfather in the 1700’s…

We go to a church that is like a family. Kids love it. My wife loves it. Yet, I know I am being called to the Catholic Church, I am just not ready to pull my family from a place where they are clearly growing spiritually…

For the time being, I have not yet come out of the proverbial closet, but the door is starting to open.

Thanks, John!
 
Thanks, John. I will - but it is a very difficult step. I grew up in a very Protestant culture and so did my wife. The last Catholic on either side of our family was my Irish Immigrant grandfather in the 1700’s…

We go to a church that is like a family. Kids love it. My wife loves it. Yet, I know I am being called to the Catholic Church, I am just not ready to pull my family from a place where they are clearly growing spiritually…

For the time being, I have not yet come out of the proverbial closet, but the door is starting to open.

Thanks, John!
Thanks for letting me know. you’ll love it and when you think your families ready bring them along. good luck and God bless. I’m praying for you all:thumbsup: 🙂
 
If you’re looking for ideas on what to plant, here’s a good website on Mary Gardens:

mgardens.org/

In Medieval Europe different plants were associated with Mary (“Mary’s Gold” later turning into “Marigold” is just one example), and cultivating them was seen as a form of devotion. Its a great tradition that cleans the air, looks beautiful, and honors Our Lady all at once.

Happy gardening!

P.S. Incidentally, Wal-Mart of all places used to sell a truly amazing technicolor Our Lady of Guadalupe statue roughly four feet tall; my wife and I waffled on getting it, and haven’t seen it since. We figured it would be a great way to evangelize/freak out the neighbors here in Protestantville, USA:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top