Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons creator, dies

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dandelion_Wine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are a level 1 human bard who travels around towns carrying a giant scroll of parchment known as the “Catholic Answers Forums”. The way this works is that participants write their messages on the parchment, then when you take it to another town the folks there can read it and write their own messages in reply. Of course it is a difficult task trying to keep all the conversations together, so you decide to look for an apprentice. In the local pub you meet a dwarf wearing dull looking scale armor. He explains to you that he was trained as a fighter but has been out of work for a few months because there has been relative peacetime, and asks you if you will take him as your apprentice.
I get the elf of the party to look for hidden doors.😉
 
I get the elf of the party to look for hidden doors.😉
The elf points out that all the doors in the tavern are easily visible. Then he goes back to drinking his wine. The wine is Everclear - a well-known Elven product from the Misty Islands.
 
The elf points out that all the doors in the tavern are easily visible. Then he goes back to drinking his wine. The wine is Everclear - a well-known Elven product from the Misty Islands.
The half-elf wizard sets it on fire (Orpheus got the rogue before I did :banghead: )
 
You know, I tried it several times, but D & D just did nothing for me, didn’t hit.

And like the Englander above says, it was pretty much a nerdy thing. I don’t think the nerd epithet would’ve phased me: I just didn’t care for the game. Too theatrical for me.
 
And like the Englander above says, it was pretty much a nerdy thing. I don’t think the nerd epithet would’ve phased me: I just didn’t care for the game. Too theatrical for me.
Spoken like someone who’s never jumped on the table, gesticulated wildly, and screamed ‘I WASTE him with my crossbow!’ 🙂
 
I love that episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes back to college and is being tutored by the nerds.

Homer: “And we played Dungeons & Dragons for six hours! . . . . Then I was slain by an elf.”
 
Spoken like someone who’s never jumped on the table, gesticulated wildly, and screamed ‘I WASTE him with my crossbow!’ 🙂
Yeah! Well, it totally depends on the group. I’ve played with guys who sit there and play it like chess, guys who hardly ever roll the dice, and, ideally, people who find a happen medium between strategy and story.😃
 
You know, I really did try to like it. I’d reread the Lord of the Rings, liked Tolkein and some science fiction.

One factor may have just been the amount of time needed to do it. I don’t play Risk, for instance, because it takes hours to play.

And again, maybe another factor was that, in comparison to Tolkein, it was kind of exaggerated. I don’t know. You do what you can.

I’m trying to think what I was doing at about that age that might’ve sucked up my free time. School activities probably. Various clubs. Maybe the factor was just all that time it took.
 
…Eh. Some like it, some don’t.
I play computer games too, by the way.
Baldur’s gate was a good game. I’m playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That’s fun too. 🙂
 
…Eh. Some like it, some don’t.
I play computer games too, by the way.
Baldur’s gate was a good game. I’m playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. That’s fun too. 🙂
I loved the Knights of the Old Republic games. Best RPGs I’ve ever played.
 
I went to Michigan State, and, since I worked a student job in maintenance, I had acess to the steam tunnels (really just underground hallways that go from one building to another, the steam, water and power lines go along the walls).

There really isn’t much there that would you make gaming interesting.
 
I went to Michigan State, and, since I worked a student job in maintenance, I had acess to the steam tunnels (really just underground hallways that go from one building to another, the steam, water and power lines go along the walls).

There really isn’t much there that would you make gaming interesting.
You mean I wasn’t SCA in grad school? That we didn’t make cross bows out of those kid’s bow and arrow sets and we didn’t go down into the steam tunnels at LSU in 1976? 😃 Oh, my brother Trolls would have something to say about that. Funny thing, here we are 30 + years later and we still meet twice a year.

Marching Trolls of Draconia march on!!!
 
I just saw this thread, as news takes some time to make it to hobbits in retirement. May God rest his soul.

Pax,
Chauncy P Sunnyslope III, esq.
Hobbit Theif - D&D, T&T, Melee [okay, in Melee, I was a “techno” IIRC] and AD&D, c. 1978-1986
 
I loved the Knights of the Old Republic games. Best RPGs I’ve ever played.
I’ve been meaning to try those lately since I’ve been on a Star Wars kick (I just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy) and I’m trying to get some friends together to play a little d6 Star Wars. Overall they’re pretty good huh?🙂
That reminds me, I’m late for my weekly Dungeons and Dragons Online game!:eek:
 
I just saw this thread, as news takes some time to make it to hobbits in retirement. May God rest his soul.

Pax,
Chauncy P Sunnyslope III, esq.
Hobbit Theif - D&D, T&T, Melee [okay, in Melee, I was a “techno” IIRC] and AD&D, c. 1978-1986
Braddock the Brawler joins in the wake
 
If any of you old school players ever get an itching to play again, there’s an excellent program for gaming online via a “virtual tabletop” called Fantasy Grounds that rocks! You’ve got the table, the rules books, the dice, and throw in a little Skype and you’ve got voice chat too. Very groovy.👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top