A
afvet5963
Guest
My priest made the remark that the gates of Heaven were closed until Jesus arose from the grave. Could someone explain this to me? I thought Heaven was always open.
The Church’s teaching (and most Christian denominational understanding) is that prior to the Christ’s redemptive work, those saints/righteous were in “Abraham’s bossom” (note the parable of the richman and Lazarus) which was a waiting place in Sheoul for the righteous. When Jesus descended to the dead he “released the prisoners” (righteous) who then entered heaven.My priest made the remark that the gates of Heaven were closed until Jesus arose from the grave. Could someone explain this to me? I thought Heaven was always open.
Adam’s sin caused heaven to be closed to humans, Christ’s death reopened heaven.My priest made the remark that the gates of Heaven were closed until Jesus arose from the grave. Could someone explain this to me? I thought Heaven was always open.
God wants all things perfect to be in heaven. So yes, Original Sin was sufficient to close the gates of heaven.added comment…
Does anyone think Original Sin was sufficient to close the gates of heaven. Since God lives/exists in the ever present now, He knew that dam and Eve would fall and He already had a plan in motion…
Don’t forget, God is outside of time. For him, closing the gates of heaven and opening them occur at the same… er… um… time.added comment…
Does anyone think Original Sin was sufficient to close the gates of heaven. Since God lives/exists in the ever present now, He knew that dam and Eve would fall and He already had a plan in motion…
Eph 4:9 Now that he ascended, what is it, but because he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?Is there a specific Bible passage that states that Jesus descended to the dead? As much as I have read the Bible, I don’t recall anything of that nature.
While some may think I have a strong streak on Gnosticism, I am only trying to settle in my mind some of the questions that I have about the Catholic belief system. Don’t get me wrong; I know that this is the correct way for me to come to know God in a more intimate way, but He made me inquisitive and I am using that ability to know Him better.
Yes, in one of Peter’s letters.Is there a specific Bible passage that states that Jesus descended to the dead? As much as I have read the Bible, I don’t recall anything of that nature.
While some may think I have a strong streak on Gnosticism, I am only trying to settle in my mind some of the questions that I have about the Catholic belief system. Don’t get me wrong; I know that this is the correct way for me to come to know God in a more intimate way, but He made me inquisitive and I am using that ability to know Him better.
Tim,Don’t forget, God is outside of time. For him, closing the gates of heaven and opening them occur at the same… er… um… time.
-Tim-