Gay friends

  • Thread starter Thread starter abeliever227
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abeliever227

Guest
Hello I am new to the site but I am looking for advice in my life concerning some recent events. I have recently learned some of my friends are gay, they constantly express their feelings of upset on how religious people are against them and how they can’t understand how they feel. I am just wondering how do I respond to this situation?
 
Hello I am new to the site but I am looking for advice in my life concerning some recent events. I have recently learned some of my friends are gay, they constantly express their feelings of upset on how religious people are against them and how they can’t understand how they feel. I am just wondering how do I respond to this situation?
If you look at real life a lot of people do irrationally hate them and a lot of people are irrationally afraid of them (like they are afraid that gays or lesbians want to rape them or their children). You should treat them with compassion and love as they deserve as children of God. If they were in a “gay marriage” then you should respond the same as if someone you knew divorced their spouse and remarried while their spouse yet lives.
 
I have a very close friend from college that is a lesbian. I do not condone her lifestyle but I still pray for her and try to be a good friend. I have to remind myself that she is a child of God and it is for God to judge and not me. That is the way I deal with it so hopefully that is helpful.
 
they constantly express their feelings of upset on how religious people are against them and how they can’t understand how they feel. I am just wondering how do I respond to this situation?
You are free not to agree with their choice in sexual partner. If you think they are living in some sort of sin, consider this against other types of sin and you might conclude it isn’t so bad that two people can love and respect each other in a possibly “wrong” way.

Love them as they are. Almost certainly the feelings they have have been with them for a very long time and are not a whim It’s not easy at all to own to something that goes against the main cultural norm. But remember more than anything that there still many other aspects about the person that are not “Gay”. Remember to relate to those part of them too!
 
If I had a homosexual couple living next door, I would smile and be kind to them. If they ended up in the hospital, I would shovel their sidewalk in the winter, cut their grass in the summer. If they trusted me with a key, I would feed their cat and water their plants. Basically, be a good neighbor. I hope they would do the same for me.

Because someone says No to an issue, it doesn’t mean that they are hated. It takes a good parent to say No to their kids, and it would be with their best interests in mind. Plus saying No means being the bad guy and the parent is willing to be the bad guy out of love. Sexual activity outside of marriage and with multiple partners over time is not good for us. All of us. All sexually transmitted diseases would be wiped off the face of the planet if we could follow God’s plan. God is a good Father, loving yet setting boundaries.
 
Hello I am new to the site but I am looking for advice in my life concerning some recent events. I have recently learned some of my friends are gay, they constantly express their feelings of upset on how religious people are against them and how they can’t understand how they feel. I am just wondering how do I respond to this situation?
Many young people are saying they are gay these days, some of it is contrived. Gay is chic and some may just have confused emotions which are being encouraged into the wrong direction.

Keeping that in mind, I would not get involved in questioning their claims but it is still good to be wise to all things. Show love and compassion as you probably have been. Tell them if asked that some hold to religious convictions very strongly and have poor communication skills when expressing them. Ask if they have any religious convictions, if they do, equate them with other religious views. If not, leave it alone and denounce the hatred others espouse.
 
Just don’t make nothing of it. You can state that you are a Catholic, and you can still be their friend…just ask them very politely to stop talking what they are when you are around.

Although homosexual acts and the lifestyle are gravely sinful, respect is a TWO WAY STREET.
 
M**any young people are saying they are gay these days, some of it is contrived. Gay is chic and some may just have confused emotions which are being encouraged into the wrong direction.
**

Seriously? :confused::eek:
 
johnnyjones;9706067:
M**any young people are saying they are gay these days, some of it is contrived. Gay is chic and some may just have confused emotions which are being encouraged into the wrong direction.
**
Seriously? :confused::eek:I guess 19 years of catholic school didn’t prepare you for this.
 
Hello I am new to the site but I am looking for advice in my life concerning some recent events. I have recently learned some of my friends are gay, they constantly express their feelings of upset on how religious people are against them and how they can’t understand how they feel. I am just wondering how do I respond to this situation?
You say if we were perfect we wouldn’t have needed Christ. And, ALL religious people aren’t against them. Advise them to try to deal with specific instances and not become prejudiced, themselves.

Then make them cookies.
 
By being a good friend and praying for your friends you may eventually win them over to the Church.
 
I would suggest to these friends that some Christians have difficulty separating the sin from the sinner, and that what they may be perceiving as “being against them” is “being against their sin, as per their religion”.

It’s often a very fine line between sounding judgmental and being disapproving; sometimes they overlap.
 
Because someone says No to an issue, it doesn’t mean that they are hated. It takes a good parent to say No to their kids, and it would be with their best interests in mind. Plus saying No means being the bad guy and the parent is willing to be the bad guy out of love. Sexual activity outside of marriage and with multiple partners over time is not good for us. All of us. All sexually transmitted diseases would be wiped off the face of the planet if we could follow God’s plan. God is a good Father, loving yet setting boundaries.
Once again, you’re making the assumption that all gays are promiscous, and do not care about monogamous relationships or love. This is one of the reasons gays may call you bigoted or hateful. While this isn’t quite the case, you are certainly prejudice towards gays. 🤷
 
fastenatingguy;9706130:
I guess 19 years of catholic school didn’t prepare you for this.
I don’t think any kind of “schooling” would prepare me for such a situation.

So you are saying that there are kids that are straight that "pretend’ to have SSA in order to be more popular? With whom?

I have heard gays interviewed that have said “I was born this way (with SSA), do you think that if I could change that, I wouldn’t?” So it is just hard for me to believe that with so many perceived homophobic people out there, putting gays through hell on earth, that someone who isn’t gay would want to be.

Seriously, I’m interested in your explanation.
 
johnnyjones;9706212:
I don’t think any kind of “schooling” would prepare me for such a situation.

So you are saying that there are kids that are straight that "pretend’ to have SSA in order to be more popular? With whom?

I have heard gays interviewed that have said "I was born this way (with SSA), do you think that if I could
change that, I wouldn’t?" So it is just hard for me to believe that with so many perceived homophobic people out there, putting gays through hell on earth, that someone who isn’t gay would want to be.

Seriously, I’m interested in your explanation.
(Donning asbestos suit)

I would argue that no, they wouldn’t. They have tied their entire identity into Being Gay™ because it gives them (even if only subconsciously) an instant “nuclear option” in any disagreement: Those who don’t agree are bigots/homophobes. Right now, it IS cool to be LGBTWTFBBQ. Look at the way non-minority straight men are generally portrayed in the media: Either evil or dumb. Non-minority gay men? They’re happy, successful, intelligent, and fashionable.
 
fastenatingguy;9709526:
(Donning asbestos suit)

I would argue that no, they wouldn’t. They have tied their entire identity into Being Gay™ because it gives them (even if only subconsciously) an instant “nuclear option” in any disagreement: Those who don’t agree are bigots/homophobes. Right now, it IS cool to be LGBTWTFBBQ. Look at the way non-minority straight men are generally portrayed in the media: Either evil or dumb. Non-minority gay men? They’re happy, successful, intelligent, and fashionable.
Words cannot even describe the stupid…

So, you’re telling me that people choose to have sexual relations with members of their own sex in order to get sympathy? That’s dumb. That’s utterly, utterly stupid and just false on so many levels.

First of all, gay people generally call people bigoted or hateful when people claim to oppose gay rights and NOT simply when they oppose that persons views in something. This is enough to suggest that people don’t choose to be gay just to use bigotry as an excuse for people disagreeing with them, because they don’t do that apart from issues surrounding homosexuality.

It ISN’T cool to be a member of the LGBT community, which I suppose just shows how out of touch you are with young people. The term gay is generally used as an insult amongst young people (“That’s really gay!” “You’re really gay!” ETC) so it’s not considered “cool” at all.

To address your last point, who are these “non-minority straight men” and who are these “non minority gay men”. Can you tell me? Can you give me an example of either of those situations you stated?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top