Gay Marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter keithj84
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keithj84

Guest
Want to start off by saying I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong and gay marriage is wrong but I hold the position that government shouldn’t even involve itself in marriage. Marriage should be an issue left to the church. I don’t support government involvement in any marriage. Just wanted to hear what some fellow Catholics think.
God Bless
 
So, what is anybody going to do about it? This country was founded on strong Christian principles. Look at the change in your pocket, it has “In God We Trust” on it.

The government has practical reasons for being involved in marriage. Can you provide specific reasons why the government should not be involved?

Peace,
Ed
 
When something is intrinsically evil (that is, always wrong in every possible circumstance), then I believe the government has a duty to protects its people from such an evil if it is able to.
 
So, what is anybody going to do about it? This country was founded on strong Christian principles. Look at the change in your pocket, it has “In God We Trust” on it.

The government has practical reasons for being involved in marriage. Can you provide specific reasons why the government should not be involved?

Peace,
Ed
Why the government shouldn’t be involved? Oh I don’t know, maybe I’ve gotten a little too caught up in the whole pursuit of happiness thing we have going on in this country. As I have stated before I am personally against it, 100 percent but is it really the role of government? I don’t think so.
 
Your sentiment is one that I’ve seen many times before. I understand and respect the sentiment behind it, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Here’s why.

First, the Church makes no distinction between “civil unions” and “marriage”. Just look at the Vatican Congregations for the Doctrine of Faith’s document Considerations regarding proposals to give legal recognition to unions between homosexual persons. They make no such distinction. They say that any legal recognition of a homosexual union is contrary to the moral law.

Second, marriage is a divinely instituted reality that pre-exists the Church. When Jesus came along marriage was elevated to the level of sacrament. But it exists apart from the Church. People of any religion and no religion can validly get married.

Third, marriage is foundational to civil society. Therefore, the state has a vested interest in protecting it. The state cannot simply “bow out” of recognizing marriage anymore than it can bow out of recognizing gravity. I understand the impulse to have the government get out of our business. But marriage is not just a private thing. The state has a duty to recognize and defend it.

The idea to have the state “get out of the marriage business” is short-sighted and would have profoundly harmful ramifications. This is really the “foot in the door” technique to the normalization of same sex relationships. If the State gets out of it (whether it gets out completely or resorts to a secular “civil union” thing), then they have succeeded in placing genuine marriage and same sex unions on an even playing field. That’s their primary goal.
 
Your sentiment is one that I’ve seen many times before. I understand and respect the sentiment behind it, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Here’s why.

First, the Church makes no distinction between “civil unions” and “marriage”. Just look at the Vatican Congregations for the Doctrine of Faith’s document Considerations regarding proposals to give legal recognition to unions between homosexual persons. They make no such distinction. They say that any legal recognition of a homosexual union is contrary to the moral law.

Second, marriage is a divinely instituted reality that pre-exists the Church. When Jesus came along marriage was elevated to the level of sacrament. But it exists apart from the Church. People of any religion and no religion can validly get married.

Third, marriage is foundational to civil society. Therefore, the state has a vested interest in protecting it. The state cannot simply “bow out” of recognizing marriage anymore than it can bow out of recognizing gravity. I understand the impulse to have the government get out of our business. But marriage is not just a private thing. The state has a duty to recognize and defend it.

The idea to have the state “get out of the marriage business” is short-sighted and would have profoundly harmful ramifications. This is really the “foot in the door” technique to the normalization of same sex relationships. If the State gets out of it (whether it gets out completely or resorts to a secular “civil union” thing), then they have succeeded in placing genuine marriage and same sex unions on an even playing field. That’s their primary goal.
I understand and respect what you’re saying Joe and I agree with some of the things you say.
I guess I’m coming from a different point of view because I served in the military 5 years and did a couple of tours in the middle east and worked with all kinds of different people from many different walks of life. We were representing freedom. It’s just…a hard line to draw. When government should or shouldn’t be involved. You see these people in the middle east and the government is shoving religion down all of their throats.
Please don’t think for a second that I endorse homosexuality in any way because I don’t. I try to be the best Catholic I can. I just want our country to stand for freedom and be the best it can
 
Along with Joe 5859’s great points, if government gets out of marriage then it cannot issue marriage licenses, nor judge the disposition of family matters, such as the custody of children and property rights.

What those who support gay marriage want is for the government to define marriage in the courts and thus force the legislature to give in to their demands for “equality”. But, marriage already has its definition based on the reality that it takes a man and a woman to enter into it that predates all governments on earth. Therefore, no government has the right to define it or redefine it, but only to acknowledge it and support it for the overall good of its citizens.
 
Want to start off by saying I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong and gay marriage is wrong but I hold the position that government shouldn’t even involve itself in marriage. Marriage should be an issue left to the church. I don’t support government involvement in any marriage. Just wanted to hear what some fellow Catholics think.
God Bless
Not all people are Christians, in case you didn’t know…
 
Not all people are Christians, in case you didn’t know…
Or religious, either. Governments therefore can issue marriage licenses but it cannot define what marriage is since marriage is what it is/has always been, and so is not open to redefinition to suit anyone’s likes or dislikes.
 
Or religious, either. Governments therefore can issue marriage licenses but it cannot define what marriage is since marriage is what it is/has always been, and so is not open to redefinition to suit anyone’s likes or dislikes.
Why the government cannot define what marriage is? To whom the authority to define what marriage is?
Thanks for the enlightenment
Welcome.
 
I understand and respect what you’re saying Joe and I agree with some of the things you say.
I guess I’m coming from a different point of view because I served in the military 5 years and did a couple of tours in the middle east and worked with all kinds of different people from many different walks of life. We were representing freedom. It’s just…a hard line to draw. When government should or shouldn’t be involved. You see these people in the middle east and the government is shoving religion down all of their throats.
Please don’t think for a second that I endorse homosexuality in any way because I don’t. I try to be the best Catholic I can. I just want our country to stand for freedom and be the best it can
Thank you for your years of service. We owe you a great debt.

Believe me, I understand the reticence to put power in the government’s hand. I’ve no doubt you’re more keenly aware than I am that the world is full of examples for lots of bad things happening as a result of that.

But I think that the State disavowing marriage altogether would be as equally an abuse of power as would be re-defining marriage as between any two consenting adults. Marriage is something. The State cannot choose to ignore that without dire consequences.

As Della pointed out, there are all sorts of issues (child custody, distributions of assetts, etc.) that we more or less need the State to get involved in in order to settle disputes. I cannot think of how they would do such a thing without any reference to marriage.
 
Please don’t think for a second that I endorse homosexuality in any way because I don’t. I try to be the best Catholic I can. I just want our country to stand for freedom and be the best it can
But what freedom are you referring to? A law exists recognizing marriage as between a man and a woman because that is what marriage is and always has been. A specific minority now wants something completely new to be a part of that, and for everyone to change the law to fit their personal desires. This isn’t about equality - it is about selfishness.

I do not blame people for same-sex attractions. However, I do believe those with those same-sex attractions should strive to live a chaste life. It is surely a life filled with great sacrifice and struggling, but that doesn’t make recognition of that moral wrong okay.
 
Want to start off by saying I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong and gay marriage is wrong but I hold the position that government shouldn’t even involve itself in marriage. Marriage should be an issue left to the church. I don’t support government involvement in any marriage. Just wanted to hear what some fellow Catholics think.
God Bless
Marriage was given recognition and promoted by the government (the people) because it is best for the common good and a peaceful society.

Government has a vested interest in marriage between one man and one woman.
 
Why the government cannot define what marriage is? To whom the authority to define what marriage is?
Government cannot define that which it did not create. Marriage and the nuclear family are as old as the human race. No government any time any where defined it as such–it just is because it is natural to us as human beings to form this bond. This is why the Church recognizes natural marriage–because even it does not have the authority to redefine marriage outside its membership.
 
Along with Joe 5859’s great points, if government gets out of marriage then it cannot issue marriage licenses, nor judge the disposition of family matters, such as the custody of children and property rights.
That isn’t correct. The courts dispose of family matters all the time between unmarried persons, including property rights and child custody. The laws are slightly different than with a marriage, but they still handle those issues. And would continue to do so if state recognized marriages were done away with.
 
That isn’t correct. The courts dispose of family matters all the time between unmarried persons, including property rights and child custody. The laws are slightly different than with a marriage, but they still handle those issues. And would continue to do so if state recognized marriages were done away with.
Of course, the issue is how these issues would be handled between married people if the government had no part in marriage. :tiphat:
 
Government cannot define that which it did not create. Marriage and the nuclear family are as old as the human race. No government any time any where defined it as such–it just is because it is natural to us as human beings to form this bond. This is why the Church recognizes natural marriage–because even it does not have the authority to redefine marriage outside its membership.
In legal manners, governments give definitions to whatever they want, this is not necessarly related to what is “natural”, some governments changed the previous definitions of rape to include both sexes.
 
… I don’t support government involvement in any marriage. Just wanted to hear what some fellow Catholics think.
God Bless
So, you don’t think that government should tie children to their parents and their parents to each other?
Same Sex Marriage: Why Not? (Part 1 of 4) youtube.com/watch?v=osCnn-ATrcI
Same Sex Marriage: Why Not? (Part 2 of 4) youtube.com/watch?v=ZdzCFMCsIb4
Same Sex Marriage: Why Not? (Part 3 of 4) youtube.com/watch?v=atsAiYpyI9M&feature=related
Same Sex Marriage: Why Not? (Part 4 of 4) youtube.com/watch?v=VwyOHhJAYko&feature=related
 
In legal manners, governments give definitions to whatever they want, this is not necessarly related to what is “natural”, some governments changed the previous definitions of rape to include both sexes.
No, they simply included both sexes. Rape is rape no matter who does it to whom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top