P
PJH_74
Guest
Hi all. I read a few posts pointing to a concept of marriage as an institution from the mists of time. This is true, but what’s beyond memory is that this institution was more a property transfer than what we recognize as a wholesome marriage. I doubt any of us paid or had a paid a dowry as part of our marriage. I also sincerely doubt any man here views his wife as property. A lot of what I’ve read in the bible equates her virginity to her worth in society, not really a modern concept…even theologically.
Look I’m OK if a church wants to regard marriage as a rite between a man and a woman; I appreciate the beauty of my own marriage before God. But the threat to marriage is not two people of the same sex wanting to live a permanent life together. It lays in cynicism about the value of marriage, people who can’t make the commitment to working through what separates them, a fascination with the value of one’s personal needs, and impatience. Why don’t we focus our energies on strengthening what marriages exist and supporting the value of being married to those who don’t understand what it means to draw a line in the sand and say we will become and live as one no matter what it takes?
Look I’m OK if a church wants to regard marriage as a rite between a man and a woman; I appreciate the beauty of my own marriage before God. But the threat to marriage is not two people of the same sex wanting to live a permanent life together. It lays in cynicism about the value of marriage, people who can’t make the commitment to working through what separates them, a fascination with the value of one’s personal needs, and impatience. Why don’t we focus our energies on strengthening what marriages exist and supporting the value of being married to those who don’t understand what it means to draw a line in the sand and say we will become and live as one no matter what it takes?