Gee, suicide is beautiful isn't

• Thread starter Thread starter caroljm36
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was sad for him to go…he was quite the genius. However, genius also goes hand in hand with utter insanity at times. Now, if you take genius and add incredibly large amounts of drugs over a 30 year period…something had to give and it did. His choice to kill himself shouldn’t be glorified, however, I can probably argue that he wasn’t in the correct state of mind to make a fully informed choice. Drug addicts generally choose impulsive ways to do things, rather than think them through, mostly because their capacity to really think has been destroyed (perfect example= ozzy osbourne). I just feel bad for the guy to think that suicide was better than living the rest of his life.

That is ONE messed up family. I read the article and found the whole account to be disturbing. That this is a good, peaceful and dignified way to go - blah!

That Hunter may have actually thought it peaceful to kill himself while family members were there, including a grandson - is selfish.

When I was 18 one of my best friends shot himself. Drugs were involved.

So uplifting, so life-affirming, so inspiring…NOT.

Do you get the feeling that his wife was really, like, okay with this outcome? Now she gets the house and whatever. Back to the gym! Maybe she’ll tie up with her trainer now.

And he wasn’t crazy. He was still writing columns for ESPN at the very least. We can’t ascribe everything like this to “mental illness.” That is just BS and reflects an inability to deal with sin. Suicide is a sin, remember?

This is just where the Culture of Death leads us. This is the ultimate end of it all. Life is not worth living! And more people admire him for it than not. We are annihilating ourselves as a culture.

Is this guy who made a career of bashing Nixon and drinking to excess and taking illicit drugs? Sorry he summoned himself into eternity, but probably not an unexpectant result given the way he led his life.

40.png
caroljm36:
This is just where the Culture of Death leads us. This is the ultimate end of it all. Life is not worth living! And more people admire him for it than not. We are annihilating ourselves as a culture.
In Hunter’s death, he tries to take the culture of death to a new level and lead us one additional step into the pit of hell.

He wanted people to witness his death and have loved ones in the house at the time. It sounded as if he didn’t want his wife to leave but be there as a witness. Not it’s not bad/sad enough to kill yourself - but you need to have people around - then have survivers throw a small party affirming the choice of the self-inflicted deceased.

All I remember from this “genius” was one of his writings at the end of Reagan’s first term where he declared that there would never be another Republican president for the rest of the century. :rolleyes:

Scott

40.png
fix:
Is this guy who made a career of bashing Nixon and drinking to excess and taking illicit drugs? Sorry he summoned himself into eternity, but probably not an unexpectant result given the way he led his life.
Yes, he celebrated the ugly and groteseque. I happened to see a book cover with a horrible freakish image of some creature with an extended neck, cigarette dangling, elongated and distorted body. No it wasn’t Gumby, it was a book cover for a Hunter Thompson book

Say some of us who duked it out with Ken/Zoot the Homosexual Apologist might recall his great admiration for Mr Thompson. All I can say is YUCK. The total antithesis of grace and beauty. He rejected God and God’s creation. That he killed himself with family members in the house and perhaps even when he was on the phone with his wife is truly an act of hostility and anger. There may have been some serious mental health issues that played a part in both his life and death.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
That he killed himself with family members in the house and perhaps even when he was on the phone with his wife is truly an act of hostility and anger. There may have been some serious mental health issues that played a part in both his life and death.

Lisa N
I agree Lisa, and I wonder if all suicides aren’t a form of mental illness. I know it is a sin to commit suicide, but my entire life I have never thought that a person who did it was in their right mind. I suppose it could have been the result of years of abuse on his body and mind that he himself perpetuated, but still seems like mental illness when you look at the circumstances. He wanted his family around, for what? Did he want them there for reassurance, comfort, spite? Who knows. I never read his work, but I will say a prayer for his soul and for his poor family.

40.png
Fitz:
I agree Lisa, and I wonder if all suicides aren’t a form of mental illness. I know it is a sin to commit suicide, but my entire life I have never thought that a person who did it was in their right mind. I suppose it could have been the result of years of abuse on his body and mind that he himself perpetuated, but still seems like mental illness when you look at the circumstances. He wanted his family around, for what? Did he want them there for reassurance, comfort, spite? Who knows. I never read his work, but I will say a prayer for his soul and for his poor family.
Oh I agree.It’s incredibly sad and the way his wife is characterizing his suicide as “a personal triumph” sounds like a woman who cannot face a very ugly reality. She is probably in shock and cannot comprehend what has happened.

Apparently Mr Thompson was in relatively good health. He had some back problems but was not dying of a painful, incurable disease. It’s hard to understand suicide beyond as you said someone’s personal demons. I do believe teen suicide is both a mental health issue and an issue of perspective. To a teen who has not lived that long seeming trivialities appear tragic. They don’t know ‘this too shall pass.’ The lack of religious grounding in young people has to increase their anxiety and lack of assurance about themselves and their place in the world. I knew a couple of kids who committed suicide and really looking back they didn’t have such insurmountable problems but it probably seemed so at the time. However someone of Mr Thompson’s age surely had a better perspective. It’s just very very strange.

Lisa N

Another point for the “culture of death” team…so very sad!!

:gopray: M

this whole hunter thompson thing is really disturbing. It seems like everyone is praising the man for what he did. It was not an action of showing how in control he was, it was an act of hubris. This is the culture of death as its finest/worst, life is cheap and belongs only to yourself.

OUR LIVES ARE NOT OUR OWN! They were bought, bought for far too high a price. The arrogance of suicide shocks me.

His poor wife … what he did to her was just unconscionably cruel. And to shoot himself with a 6-year-old child in the house – that is horrifically selfish.

Apparently he was seated at his typewriter with the words 'Counselor" written on a piece of paper. No one knows what he meant but I imagine it will be blown up as some kind of prophetic message. His poor family.

Lisa N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back