Gen 3:15 - SHE will crush?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Canto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posed the question to him on Youtube where he typically responds. So far, he has not permitted my comment to be posted so I guess we will have to wait and see how he addresses it. The only English language translation of the Bible I can find that translates that passage with “she” is the D.R.
theologica.ning.com/forum/topics/who-crushes-satans-head-in?commentId=2124612%3AComment%3A265052

My take based on my current level of knowledge is that it is probably “He” rather than “she” or “it” and is likely referring to Christ rather than Mary. But, I am open to convincing arguments supported by evidence to the contrary…

biblescripture.net/First.html
OK, thanks. It will be interesting to see whether he replies.
 
I don’t know if any of the video links herein mention this but…

From the article How can Mary crush the serpent’s head? A look at Genesis 3:15 is this excerpt:First we begin with the term for “he/it/she” in question. Thompson notes that the Hebrew word is masculine and translated as “he” or “it.” Several Protestant translations do use the word “it” including the fairly literal King James Version. Catholic apologists such as Jimmy Akin or Robert Sungenis acknowledge the masculinity of the Hebrew word as well, which admits to “he” or “it.” There is an artistic sense in which the Hebrew word could be copied as feminine, and that is in the case of poetry, which the Jewish Encyclopedia states sometimes uses masculine and feminine interchangeably.

…

In what other way can the “he” or “it” term in Genesis 3:15 be understood to include Mary specifically? I think the following is perhaps the most compelling evidence.

The first woman described to “strike the enemy’s head” is Jael. In Judges 4:21 and Judges 5:26, she is described killing the oppressive king’s general Sisera by driving a tent peg into his head.

The second woman is Judith. In Judith 13:8-9, she is described cutting off the head of Holofernes, who is called later in the chapter the “leader of…enemies,” and whose name means "stinking in hell."So to see Mary as crushing the serpent’s head in Gen. 3:15 fits with the typological Marian figures of Judith and Jael. That is not to preclude Christ crushing the serpent through Mary, figure of the Church, but the context of the OT does show that Mary striking the serpent is befitting of the OT Marian figure.
I’m not sure I understand this argument. It sounds like, “we realize that the verb is masculine, but we prefer to read it as feminine because of feminine figures in other parts of the Bible.” I’m also not sure why one would argue this verse is poetry, but I’m open to being convinced. Also, I would need to see some similar examples of this verbal gender switching in the Hebrew Bible–particularly in a text that’s primarily (or arguably all) prose.
 
I’m not sure I understand this argument. It sounds like, “we realize that the verb is masculine, but we prefer to read it as feminine because of feminine figures in other parts of the Bible.” I’m also not sure why one would argue this verse is poetry, but I’m open to being convinced. Also, I would need to see some similar examples of this verbal gender switching in the Hebrew Bible–particularly in a text that’s primarily (or arguably all) prose.
I was thinking the same thing but couldn’t figure out how to articulate it properly.
 
Romans 16:20 seems to refer to the same concept but uses “they” rather than He or She. This seems to refer to the Church rather than either Christ or Mary.

And the God of peace crush Satan under your feet speedily. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

🤷
 
God informs the serpent he will put enmity between the serpent and the woman. This is reinforced by the second part of the sentence, “between your offspring and hers.” The Hebrew word זֶרַע - zera - is the same for “offspring” and “seed”, accounting for the difference in English translations, but in both cases the word is masculine.

The second sentence begins with a personal pronoun. The word may refer either to the “woman”, or may refer to the offspring or seed of the woman. Thus the beginning of the second part of Genesis 3:15 is translated primarily in two ways. Both the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims translations convey this passage as “she will crush your head, while you strike at his heel “… whereas the King James version, the Revised Standard Version, and the NIV read “he will crush your head…”* **In view of the epicene personal pronoun (one form to indicate both male and female sex) as described above, both are correct! ***1
 
God informs the serpent he will put enmity between the serpent and the woman. This is reinforced by the second part of the sentence, “between your offspring and hers.” The Hebrew word זֶרַע - zera - is the same for “offspring” and “seed”, accounting for the difference in English translations, but in both cases the word is masculine.

The second sentence begins with a personal pronoun. The word may refer either to the “woman”, or may refer to the offspring or seed of the woman. Thus the beginning of the second part of Genesis 3:15 is translated primarily in two ways. Both the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims translations convey this passage as “she will crush your head, while you strike at his heel “… whereas the King James version, the Revised Standard Version, and the NIV read “he will crush your head…”* **In view of the epicene personal pronoun (one form to indicate both male and female sex) as described above, both are correct! ***1
Since Biblical Hebrew doesn’t have non-gendered personal pronouns, your argument doesn’t make sense to me. Perhaps you could elaborate.
 
Found this, which I thought was interesting.

Liturgiam authenticam No. 37 makes the Nova Vulgata “the point of reference as regards the delineation of the sacred text” and requires that in the case of “varying manuscript traditions, the liturgical translation must be prepared in accordance with the same manuscript tradition that the Nova Vulgata has followed.” No. 41a applies the same principle to choosing among possible translations.

This would suggest that we ought to consider interpreting the phrase as saying “it” instead of "he’ or “she” or “they” since this seems to be a situation where there are multiple disputed translations. To me, use of the word “it” rather than “she” or “he” seems to suggest that the seed of The Woman, rather than The Woman herself will be the one stomping on the serpent.

Thoughts?
 
the official bible of the Church has she? good enough for me.
The Nova Vulgata which I believe is the official bible of the Holy See, says “it” rather than “she”.
Catholic Encyclopedia:
Genesis 3:15

No direct or categorical and stringent proof of the dogma can be brought forward from Scripture. But the first scriptural passage which contains the promise of the redemption, mentions also the Mother of the Redeemer. The sentence against the first parents was accompanied by the Earliest Gospel (Proto-evangelium), which put enmity between the serpent and the woman: “and I will put enmity between thee and the woman and her seed; she (he) shall crush thy head and thou shalt lie in wait for her (his) heel” (Genesis 3:15). The translation “she” of the Vulgate is interpretative; it originated after the fourth century, and cannot be defended critically. The conqueror from the seed of the woman, who should crush the serpent’s head, is Christ; the woman at enmity with the serpent is Mary. God puts enmity between her and Satan in the same manner and measure, as there is enmity between Christ and the seed of the serpent. Mary was ever to be in that exalted state of soul which the serpent had destroyed in man, i.e. in sanctifying grace. Only the continual union of Mary with grace explains sufficiently the enmity between her and Satan. The Proto-evangelium, therefore, in the original text contains a direct promise of the Redeemer, and in conjunction therewith the manifestation of the masterpiece of His Redemption, the perfect preservation of His virginal Mother from original sin.
 
Found this, which I thought was interesting.

Liturgiam authenticam No. 37 makes the Nova Vulgata “the point of reference as regards the delineation of the sacred text” and requires that in the case of “varying manuscript traditions, the liturgical translation must be prepared in accordance with the same manuscript tradition that the Nova Vulgata has followed.” No. 41a applies the same principle to choosing among possible translations.

This would suggest that we ought to consider interpreting the phrase as saying “it” instead of "he’ or “she” or “they” since this seems to be a situation where there are multiple disputed translations. To me, use of the word “it” rather than “she” or “he” seems to suggest that the seed of The Woman, rather than The Woman herself will be the one stomping on the serpent.

Thoughts?
My understanding of Liturgiam authenticam is that if there are manuscript differences, the Vulgate (Nova Vulgata) “wins” for purposes of liturgical texts. But then I’m not Catholics so others would probably know more about this.
 
The Nova Vulgata which I believe is the official bible of the Holy See, says “it” rather than “she”.
Thanks! Your article from the Catholic Encyclopedia was VERY interesting as I have often found this to be a feature of the text–the Vulgate seems to be a fairly “free”/“loose” (or as the article said “interpretive”) translation. I will keeps this idea in mind when reading the Vulgate.

For example, the Hebrew (MT) of the very text we are discussing, Genesis 3:15, uses the exact same verb to describe the action of the serpent (“bruise”) and the action of the masculine subject–sort of a measure-for-measure response–head gets bruised; heal gets bruised.

The Nova Vulgata has two different verbs: illius ipsa conteret caput tuum et tu insidiaberis calcaneo eius–“contero” (bruise/crush) and “insidior” (to lie in wait). There’s nothing about lying in wait in the Hebrew text and thus has always struck me as very different from bruising/wounding.
 
My understanding of Liturgiam authenticam is that if there are manuscript differences, the Vulgate (Nova Vulgata) “wins” for purposes of liturgical texts. But then I’m not Catholics so others would probably know more about this.
My understanding of how it works is similar to what you described. If there are situations where multiple texts disagree, translators are to follow the same rules that were used to translate the Nova Vulgata. And, if there is no clear winner in terms of proper translation,they are to go with the word used in the Nova Vulgata. I’m paraphrasing here of course, but I believe that is the gist of what the document says on the subject.
 
A few months ago Matt Slick was mocking the Catholic Church in a chatroom I was in because of one of the translations of Genesis 3:15 reads “she will crush.” He insisted this translation was wrong.

Anyway, I then asked a Jewish scholar (non Christian, anti if anything) about it that’s spoken Hebrew his whole life. He he said the passage should be read “they will stomp” the serpent. I asked him if the “they” includes the woman, and he said “yes.” He then said if anyone says otherwise to ask them from who and where did they learn Hebrew.
 
Anyway, I then asked a Jewish scholar (non Christian, anti if anything) about it that’s spoken Hebrew his whole life. He he said the passage should be read “they will stomp” the serpent. .
Interesting in that “they” is exactly how the NABRE translates it.

Thanks!
 
A few months ago Matt Slick was mocking the Catholic Church in a chatroom I was in because of one of the translations of Genesis 3:15 reads “she will crush.” He insisted this translation was wrong.

Anyway, I then asked a Jewish scholar (non Christian, anti if anything) about it that’s spoken Hebrew his whole life. He he said the passage should be read “they will stomp” the serpent. I asked him if the “they” includes the woman, and he said “yes.” He then said if anyone says otherwise to ask them from who and where did they learn Hebrew.
Your friend is partially correct but mostly incorrect. The verb could possibly be read “they” (“they will bruise”) simply because we have so few examples in Biblical Hebrew of verbs ending with vowels with added second person object suffixes. I would have expected an “u” vowel between the verb and the suffix (there’s no vowel in the Massoretic Text–or what some people call a “silent shewa”)–but we can’t necessarily know what really “should be there” because it’s just not well attested. But remember that this is a possibility and not something that’s definitive.

But the major problem with “they” is that preceding the verb is the masculine pronoun “he” which would need to be accounted for in some way in the translation. Simply ignoring the pronoun “he” does not demonstrate good principles of translation–everything needs to be accounted for in some way.

Also keep in mind that there are many differences between Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew, so expertise in one doesn’t guarantee expertise in the other–and it works both ways.
 
I’m not sure I understand this argument. It sounds like, “we realize that the verb is masculine, but we prefer to read it as feminine because of feminine figures in other parts of the Bible.” I’m also not sure why one would argue this verse is poetry, but I’m open to being convinced. Also, I would need to see some similar examples of this verbal gender switching in the Hebrew Bible–particularly in a text that’s primarily (or arguably all) prose.
The point of noting the poetry is that there is a precedent for seeing a pronoun as not necessarily united to its gender. But that is indeed the weaker part of the argument and isn’t necessary to keep if you want to nix it.

But the pronoun is not masculine. It is ambiguous. If you follow the link you will see a number of translations use “it.” One of my Franciscan professors taught this as well, and you can find other sources online in addition to the numerous Bibles that translate “it.”

The article concedes “he” or “it” will be granted as the best translations for the purposes of the apologetic. The point of showing that Mary could be referenced by whatever the pronoun is, is to see the typology of other parallel events. I think Jael and Judith are strong Marian types, and both of them strike the enemy’s head. We should not discount interpreting a passage in light of the rest of Scripture. In fact, that is one of the Church’s rules set forth TO interpret Scripture. And since “it” is a valid understanding of the term there, the meaning can well include Mary, Jesus, the Church (cf. Rm 16:20), etc…

In Catholicism, interpretation of a passage is not exhausted once you find a good one. So we would not say “It’s Jesus—therefore it can’t be Mary!! It can’t be the Church! It can’t be St. Michael the Archangel!!” I am saying that Mary as the one who crushes the serpent’s head is a valid and sound interpretation of the text, particularly in light of reading that passage alongside the Judith and Jael accounts. You have to admit the parallel is there, no?
 
The point of noting the poetry is that there is a precedent for seeing a pronoun as not necessarily united to its gender. But that is indeed the weaker part of the argument and isn’t necessary to keep if you want to nix it.

But the pronoun is not masculine. It is ambiguous. If you follow the link you will see a number of translations use “it.” One of my Franciscan professors taught this as well, and you can find other sources online in addition to the numerous Bibles that translate “it.”

The article concedes “he” or “it” will be granted as the best translations for the purposes of the apologetic. The point of showing that Mary could be referenced by whatever the pronoun is, is to see the typology of other parallel events. I think Jael and Judith are strong Marian types, and both of them strike the enemy’s head. We should not discount interpreting a passage in light of the rest of Scripture. In fact, that is one of the Church’s rules set forth TO interpret Scripture. And since “it” is a valid understanding of the term there, the meaning can well include Mary, Jesus, the Church (cf. Rm 16:20), etc…

In Catholicism, interpretation of a passage is not exhausted once you find a good one. So we would not say “It’s Jesus—therefore it can’t be Mary!! It can’t be the Church! It can’t be St. Michael the Archangel!!” I am saying that Mary as the one who crushes the serpent’s head is a valid and sound interpretation of the text, particularly in light of reading that passage alongside the Judith and Jael accounts. You have to admit the parallel is there, no?
I understand the argument about poetry, I’m just not understanding what features of this particular verse qualify it to be referred to as Biblical Hebrew poetry.

Pronouns are not gender-ambiguous in Biblical Hebrew and I think you may have misunderstood your Franciscan professor. Masculine pronouns are used when referring to males or to male-gendered inanimate objects. Feminine pronouns are used when referring to females or female-gendered inanimate objects.

Similarly to the way many languages work–but not English for the most part–nouns in Biblical Hebrew have genders. (However there is no neuter gender like in say, Greek, Latin or German.) For example the word for stone in Biblical Hebrew (even) is feminine. In English we would translate the feminine pronoun used to refer to a stone as “it” instead of “she.” But if we wanted to refer to a stone in Biblical Hebrew using a pronoun you have to use the the feminine pronoun. Because pronouns can refer to inanimate objects, sometime the pronoun will be translated as “it.” This doesn’t mean you can use whatever pronoun you want regardless of the antecedent. Further, there are also separate gendered plural pronouns for the second and third person–both singular and plural (e.g., “they”–women versus “they”–men).

Regardless, the verb doesn’t allow for a feminine gendered subject. A masculine verb AND a masculine pronoun make the translation pretty unambiguous.

In summary, in Biblical Hebrew, masculine pronouns cannot be used to refer strictly to females or feminine objects in Biblical Hebrew. But you have any examples whatsoever of this occurring elsewhere (masculine pronouns used to refer to strictly feminine-gendered antecedents), I’d love to see them.
 
These are just my observations, just learning out loud and do not mean to imply any bad theology. Correct me at your pleasure if you seen any fault in me.
Leaving it as is since there could be more than one meaning in ‘she will crush,’ as she could be Mary, the Church or something else at the same time.
Although I don’t know Hebrew very so I must trust in Him to guide me, it is unfortunate that in places like this to much energy is spent on the gender. It bothers me that in some places where it had seem obvious that gender neutral advocates are too liberal making it more inclusive, but then where it would have been understood to mean inclusiveness involving man and woman by the Hebrew and Greek scribes, seems over looked. For various persons it seems both liberal and formal that love the Truth can still appear to be projecting theology into the text. From what I understand is the particular word for ‘he’ in Hebrew means ‘he’ and in certain context may mean ‘us’ with no particular gender implied. Instead for zera there is ‘your seed’ and ‘her seed.’
Maybe ‘our heal’ but not sure?
🙂 I really don’t think that this is a translation matter as it is from seeing something in a particular point of view, not even a Catholic one either. For example the CJB reads ‘I will put animosity between you and the woman, and between your descendant and her descendant; he will bruise your head, and you will bruise his heel."’ You don’t need to be Catholic to draw a picture in your mind of either Mary or Christ fulfilling what seems to be a fairly evident prophecy.
Something that just came to my mind is the woman could be the Kingdom of God and it’s descendant’s is the he. Something I have learned about Hebrew is that it can often play on words a lot in a way modern translators and scholars don’t always fully understand, and a dot or stroke can have various layers of meaning. This acts like the light from the light house so anyone who has the love for His word can be guided through the storm.
I don’t know why but the more I read about this grain of passage the more mind blowing it is. I think any push to water it down is just an attempt more to attack a particular theology instead of getting to the bottom of it. At least this is what I read all over is some kind of Catholic conspiracy. It’s a common pattern for some to seem something in the bible they don’t like then attempt to ‘correctly translate’ to show a difference in how they think versus what the Church says. Which is good because it give me a chance to learn and to re examine. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top