General absolution

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigDL75
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigDL75

Guest
If I typically go to confession weekly or bi-weekly, do I need to attend the General Absolution mass that my Church is having next week? I forget exactly what the mass is called, so I might have mislabeled the name, but I think you guys know what I’m talking about.Thanks.
 
If I typically go to confession weekly or bi-weekly, do I need to attend the General Absolution mass that my Church is having next week? I forget exactly what the mass is called, so I might have mislabeled the name, but I think you guys know what I’m talking about.Thanks.
I’ve never heard of a general absolution Mass. General absolution is granted only if death is imminent and no chance for a priest to hear someone’s confession.

CCC 1483 In case of grave necessity recourse may be had to a communal celebration of reconciliation with general confession and general absolution. Grave necessity of this sort can arise when there is imminent danger of death without sufficient time for the priest or priests to hear each penitent’s confession. Grave necessity can also exist when, given the number of penitents, there are not enough confessors to hear individual confessions properly in a reasonable time, so that the penitents through no fault of their own would be deprived of sacramental grace or Holy Communion for a long time. In this case, for the absolution to be valid the faithful must have the intention of individually confessing their grave sins in the time required. The diocesan bishop is the judge of whether or not the conditions required for general absolution exist. A large gathering of the faithful on the occasion of major feasts or pilgrimages does not constitute a case of grave necessity.
 
It would seem by definition that a 3rd form of the Rite of Reconciliation, general absolution under the conditions described above, could not be announced beforehand in the parish bulletin. A danger-of-death situation can’t be predicted, and if it is already scheduled there is plenty of time to gather enough priests to help out.

I would feel more comfortable seeing the exact words used in the bulletin to describe this service. It could be anything from the 2nd form of the Rite, community reconciliation service followed by individual confession, to a so-called “Healing Mass” or a communal Anointing of the Sick service. I would rather see the article itself before commenting.

In any case, only someone who is not in the state of grace needs to confess and seek absolution so in answer to OP’s question, no, you don’t need to attend if you have already made an individual confession.
 
A general absolution mass would be out of line.

Now I have been to reconciliation services where the community recites the act of contrition before going to confession in the interest of saving a little time and allowing everyone the opportunity to go to confession, but just a blanket absolution of sins really needs to be reserved for the most dire circumstances, and IMHO, if otherwise done is an abuse of the sacrament which should be reported the bishop of the diocese.
 
Come on, people, the OP said he could not recall what the event was called. Let’s give the parish the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s one of those penance services where the preparation is done together and individual confessions are heard by lots of priests after the group portion.

To the OP: These services are designed for the people who only go to confession in Advent and Lent to prepare for Christmas and Easter. Since you confess regularly, it would be an act of charity for you to stay away from this service, leaving more time for the twice-a-year people. There is nothing here that you need, since you (thanks be to God) confess often.

On the other hand, if you have some friends you are trying to bring to confession, this might be a good opportunity. Unless it really IS general absolution, which would be illicit, as others have pointed out.

Betsy
 
My parish is having a penence service this week. Is that what you are referring to? Tim
 
My parish is doing a Communal Penance Service or two before Christmas with extra priests available to hear the confessions of those particpating. It is rite 2 and not rite 3 of General Confession and General Absolution which we had for a while with the permission of ouir Bishop. This was one of several things which he has corrected in the past year or two. n
 
yeah I think it was just a mix up with the names! i think it is like a communal pennance service or something like that. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the advice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top