General unhappiness with wealth, life, etc

• Thread starter Thread starter DaveEucharist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happiness is completely a spiritual condition (inside). The state of one’s soul is directly related to happiness. As a person advances spiritually, the more happiness he acquires. As one gets closer to God, he becomes happier.
More virtue = More happiness
More Grace = More happiness
More efficacious prayer life = More happiness
Less sin = More happiness
More like Jesus = More happiness

Happiness comes from using the gifts that God has given us to the best of our abilities.
Sorry but even then, you’ll get grumpy or depressing days. If Mother Teresa still had 'em despite her being one of those few people being really close to God, what hope is there for your average joe?

Also, I’m quite aware of my grave sins but that doesn’t mean there’s a logical link between them and what’s really bothering me. It’s likely the same with everyone else.

Kudos to everyone who is happy being average ( note super elite).
I need some serious spiritual reflection.
If that is your attitude towards people, you will probably always be as miserable as you currently are, no matter how much money you make, or how prestigious you think your job is.

I feel sorry for you. Yes, you need serious spiritual direction and maybe psychological too, as you seem to suffer from serious delusions. You have gotten very helpful advice from a lot of people here but you still choose to go on and on about how special and different you are from everyone else. Guess what? You are not. What you are is self-centered. You won’t be happy when you are a neurosurgeon either, by the way.

You need to find a way to be happy with yourself as you are. It is not about money, or your profession or your title, or opera tickets or shoes from Pay less.

Yeah, most of us here are happy being average. But at least we are happy. That’s more than you can say.

If that is your attitude towards people, you will probably always be as miserable as you currently are, no matter how much money you make, or how prestigious you think your job is.

I feel sorry for you. Yes, you need serious spiritual direction and maybe psychological too, as you seem to suffer from serious delusions. You have gotten very helpful advice from a lot of people here but you still choose to go on and on about how special and different you are from everyone else. Guess what? You are not. What you are is self-centered. You won’t be happy when you are a neurosurgeon either, by the way.

You need to find a way to be happy with yourself as you are. It is not about money, or your profession or your title, or opera tickets or shoes from Pay less.

Yeah, most of us here are happy being average. But at least we are happy. That’s more than you can say.
👍👍

Since you are a Catholic who believes in God, you know we are created by and for God.
Therefore, like St. Augustine said, man is created with a God shaped void in his soul. Nothing can satisfy a person except God. We are not created for material possessions. That is why no matter how much things you own, you will never be satisfied. This has been proved time and again from numerous true life stories. How many rich people have committed suicide? How many rich people who own everything you can imagine but remain unhappy?

We are created for God, not for money, then why does a person have to compare with others about how rich he is? Wealth is not the meaning of life. God is. If a person earns the whole world but loses his soul, he has nothing. You said you have never volunteered and you don’t care about commitment in your relationship. Maybe these could be the starting points for you to trace the possible root of your unhappiness.

The difference between self centered and God centered makes a huge difference in one’s happiness.

The one who focuses everything on himself tends to think as follows:
How much money do I make?
How many possessions do I have?
How may I better entertain myself?
How can I enjoy life more?
How can I get instant gratifications?
How can I be superior to others?
How would I feel better about myself? The list goes on.
Since self love is so strong, anything does not fulfill the self gratification makes the person unhappy.

The one who focuses on God tends to think as follows:
How can I better live out God’s commandments?
How can I put God first and love my neighbor as myself?
How can I serve in my church and my community?
How can I help people in need with my time, talent and treasure?
How can I better develop virtues such as humility, patience, charity, etc. and become a better version of myself?
How can I improve my prayer life?
How can I develop a better relationship with God, family, and friends? The list goes on.
Since the person is not self centered, he has an attitude of gratitude, he counts his blessings and blesses others with his generosity. He does not have a mentality of lack but a mentality of abundance. Such a person enjoys the joy and peace of the Lord.

Hope this is helpful.
👍 Great questions. I’m going to print this out.

I hope this is the right place to put this. I’ve been thinking about life lately and have trouble talking with people in person about this. I have, but would like more opinions.

I tend to be very unhappy with my life, its accomplishments, etc. I am a 27 year old single/unmarried male in a medical profession. I am not a doctor but intend on entering a doctorate before I am 35. I don’t mean to boast at all in this message. I have an Ivy League education, make ~$172,000/year, live in a luxury apartment with gym/doorman/housekeeping,etc, have a nice car paid off, nice fitted and tailored/high end garments, subscribe to regular opera concerts in NYC (Metropolitan Opera).

I will have more than enough money saved up before starting medical school that I can continue to live comfortably as a student.

Things that bother me:

1.) What I enjoy now I couldn’t enjoy when I was younger? So what then.
2.) What I enjoy as a doctor with a speciality (300-400K+ salary) later…what will it matter…it’s so cliche and average to be an “old fart” (no offense) with that much luxury
3.) Basically, this bothers me about life: that we can’t have everything at once. Does it bother anyone else at all?!?! I’m not sure why it bothers me.

I never feel like I have enough. My opera seats with a girlfriend and other friends are in the $100-150 range. But, so what. I feel so inadequate and inferior because others around my age can afford so much more. Does anyone else feel like this?

I just feel like life is a constant chase after luxuries. Others have more around my age, or have had more when they were younger than me. It just negates everything I have an accomplished!

There is so much luxury that I do not have. I know of super luxurious condo in my city: superb housekeeping services, built in dinning areas, movie theatre, etc, etc…and I can’t have that now. If I have it later…so what…again…cliche “old fart” with luxuries that would be much funner to have NOW WHEN YOUNG OR YOUNGER!!!

I can’t get over feeling so “average”. I just don’t feel right not being part of very very very high society.
What I do to get over materialism is to remember Mark 13:2. At the eventual end of the world *, money won’t save you. Luxury cars and apartments won’t save you, the only thing that saves is God/Jesus. Period. I hope I’ve helped, this is what works for me when my human nature makes me want for things. Sorry if this isn’t what you were asking

Mark 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.*

Sorry but even then, you’ll get grumpy or depressing days. If Mother Teresa still had 'em despite her being one of those few people being really close to God, what hope is there for your average joe?

Also, I’m quite aware of my grave sins but that doesn’t mean there’s a logical link between them and what’s really bothering me. It’s likely the same with everyone else.
Grumpy/depressing days and happiness are not mutually exclusive.

Of course there’s a link between sin and unhappiness. The link is most obvious when the sin has turned into a vice.

Grumpy/depressing days and happiness are not mutually exclusive.
Well not that I disagree with you here but we’re just talking semantics here again. I’m just simply saying that even the most devout and religious will share similar moments with the OP.
Of course there’s a link between sin and unhappiness. The link is most obvious when the sin has turned into a vice.
That’s kinda missing my point. Drawing links between two unrelated actions is never a good case for spirituality/religion. When one tries to find the reason for one’s own unhappiness, one needs the direct cause, sin or not.

Well not that I disagree with you here but we’re just talking semantics here again. I’m just simply saying that even the most devout and religious will share similar moments with the OP.
Yes… They will share moments or days with the OP. It didn’t seem to me that the OP was describing something that lasted for short periods of time. He seemed to be describing general dissatisfaction or even melancholy. That’s where the inside job comes in.
That’s kinda missing my point. Drawing links between two unrelated actions is never a good case for spirituality/religion. When one tries to find the reason for one’s own unhappiness, one needs the direct cause, sin or not.
The link that I was drawing is between advancing spiritually and happiness. Sin is only one aspect of spiritual advancement. Are you saying that there is not a relationship between the two?

My other point is the inverse: A weak or deteriorating spiritual condition will bring about unhappiness.

Our disagreement is probably with my third point…One’s spiritual condition is all that matters. Anything corporeal does not contribute to happiness.

My claim was that money, career, family, etc. do not cause happiness. This claim is hard to prove except by examining one’s own experiences, but, other evidence is available. We can look at reports of the rich and famous. They seem to have it all, yet they have a high suicide rate, divorce rate, and are often known to be addicted to drugs. It is not a stretch to think that drug addicts, people who kill themselves, and those getting divorces are not high on the happiness scale.

An argument against my claims is that by extension all atheists must be unhappy and there are happy atheists, therefore; spiritual advancement is not essential to happiness. The flaw in this argument is the assumption that belief in God is necessary for spiritual advancement. It is not.

The link that I was drawing is between advancing spiritually and happiness. Sin is only one aspect of spiritual advancement. Are you saying that there is not a relationship between the two?

My other point is the inverse: A weak or deteriorating spiritual condition will bring about unhappiness.

Our disagreement is probably with my third point…One’s spiritual condition is all that matters. Anything corporeal does not contribute to happiness.
Depends on your definition of ‘contribute’ to be honest. For me, so long as an object has some relation or role in making someone happy then there is a small contribution at least.

All I’m simply saying is that, corporeal or not, there should be logical links that lead from a person’s problems to the cause.

For instance, just because a person has a masturbation problem, that doesn’t mean it’s the sole (or even a significant) cause as to why he/she suffers from insecurity, is having money problems, or doesn’t know if he/she is doing well for his/her job.
We can look at reports of the rich and famous. They seem to have it all, yet they have a high suicide rate, divorce rate, and are often known to be addicted to drugs. It is not a stretch to think that drug addicts, people who kill themselves, and those getting divorces are not high on the happiness scale.
I must contest you here. This is in complete contrast with the poor in this country where cheating spouses, drug addicts, and suicides are just as rampant amongst the poor as they are amongst the rich.

I must contest you here. This is in complete contrast with the poor in this country where cheating spouses, drug addicts, and suicides are just as rampant amongst the poor as they are amongst the rich.
Of course they are! You are not contesting my point. My point was that wealth does not make happiness, not that wealth creates unhappiness. Poorness does not create happiness…LOL
Depends on your definition of ‘contribute’ to be honest. For me, so long as an object has some relation or role in making someone happy then there is a small contribution at least.

All I’m simply saying is that, corporeal or not, there should be logical links that lead from a person’s problems to the cause.
I agree with you.
For instance, just because a person has a masturbation problem, that doesn’t mean it’s the sole (or even a significant) cause as to why he/she suffers from insecurity, is having money problems, or doesn’t know if he/she is doing well for his/her job.
I agree again. I think that you consider insecurity and financial problems causes for unhappiness. They are not. They’re irrelevant to happiness. The confusion is that *fear *of financial insecurity or insecurity in general will affect happiness. Faith and spiritual conditioning overcome the fear.

Peace

Sarcasm? My concerns are more than that.
Seems like my issues are too eccentric they seem out if touch.
Kudos to everyone who is happy being average ( note super elite).
I need some serious spiritual reflection.
Being perfectly honest, I can relate (somewhat). And, yes, it is wicked decadence when one thinks of the truly afflicted.

For me, it is not so much sarcasm as embarrassment. But vanity must be purged.

I grew-up a Francophile and it truly bothers me not to wear French designer clothing.

It truly is a painful experience not to wear Hermes (or even the lower-end Lacoste). Every time I put on my L.L. Bean polo shirt, it really IS a cross for me. Is it the same kind of burden my neighbors (or other people at my parish) carry as a reminder of their repentance (and its union with Christ’s living sacrifice)? No. But, for me, it really is a little bit of Purgatory here on Earth.

It truly is a painful experience not to have the best physical body. However, for a true assault on personal vanity, nothing does me more good than to look at myself in the mirror and remember how I looked compared with how I look now. No more definition of muscle. No tiny waist. It really is a little bit of Purgatory here on Earth.

Again, vanity must be purged.

It is not easy - but it is better to do your suffering here than somewhere else.

This is a good thread. I have not read all the posts; however, I will probably order at least one of the recommended books.

I heard that Buddhists say that peace of mind comes from compassion. I think St. Paul said to seek the “fruits of the Spirit” in the book of Galatians 5:22-23:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

We are all seeking peace of mind. In general, from my experience comparing oneself to others is usually a mistake unless you are seeing something in another that can be used for self improvement, which is a lifetime pursuit. Achievement and materialism don’t seem to bring peace of mind. Service, love, forgiveness is the path to peace of mind.

That does not mean that competing in something is bad. Competing can be fun. However, like anything else it can become disproportionate and harmful in excess.
There are plenty examples of famous, rich, and miserable people (with great achievements).

Also, I think growing closer to God in at least daily (twice daily is better) time with prayer and Bible reading helps (in addition to weekly Mass, regular confession, etc.) will put things into perspective.God can show anyone something that can lead to great achievement. He can also help us with our perspective, so we become happy with who He made us.

You need a change of focus.

Mybe is the competitive environment… maybe is another thing.

Stop caring about being in a wordly elite, strive to be a religious “elite”.

Sic transit gloria mundi

Stop for a moment and analyze the miserable state of the modern world. Then, read about Saints, or religious men like Father Castellani, one of my new inspirations.
Against his will, Father Castellani was a prophet of misfortune, that is, he foresaw the destruction of the tradition in the West without closing eyes to it and, as a good doctor, provided the only possible remedy today: "the first medicine is to know the disease "… and because of that he was great
You can read Nicolás Gómez Dávila escolios too:

don-colacho.blogspot.com/

Blessings!

🙂

Very interesting thread! I’m a sinner…everyone is…so I’m not talking down to anyone. I live a middle-class lifestyle, been married to the same guy for 35 years and love him more today than I did the day we married, have 4 grown kids, 2 grandchildren and another on the way. I train some wealthy people (as in fitness training), who just don’t seem that happy?!! More than a few seem lonely and lacking in purpose. I’ve also met some wealthy people who are happy…but it’s not because of their $$. Most of the happy people I know are focused on serving others. I think sometimes we get confused (been there, done that) and try to fill hunger for God’s love & truth with stuff, status, attention, etc. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying nice things or even wealth, but their sparkle fades. We’re wired to be in communion with One who won’t fade away–ever. God bless you Dave!!!

Very interesting thread! I’m a sinner…everyone is…so I’m not talking down to anyone. I live a middle-class lifestyle, been married to the same guy for 35 years and love him more today than I did the day we married, have 4 grown kids, 2 grandchildren and another on the way. I train some wealthy people (as in fitness training), who just don’t seem that happy?!! More than a few seem lonely and lacking in purpose. I’ve also met some wealthy people who are happy…but it’s not because of their $$. Most of the happy people I know are focused on serving others. I think sometimes we get confused (been there, done that) and try to fill hunger for God’s love & truth with stuff, status, attention, etc. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying nice things or even wealth, but their sparkle fades. We’re wired to be in communion with One who won’t fade away–ever. God bless you Dave!!!
Very well said. There was a priest/author on the Catholic radio last weekend, who was speaking about the 4 levels of happiness.

There’s the 1st level of happiness related to physical pleasure, such as smoking a cigar or eating a steak. The happiness lasts as long as one is enjoying it, and often only at the beginning.

The 2nd level of happiness comes from the wealth, power, accomplishments, learning and prestige one might have, but it, too, is fleeting, and wrought with neurosis. One is always needing to be reminded why one should be happy, and seeks out adulation and praise, and that happiness lasts maybe 10 minutes, until one again becomes aware of the internal emptiness.

The 3rd level of happiness comes from the good deeds one does in helping and providing for others, whether our families or our communities.

The 4th and highest level of happiness, which alone lasts, comes from faith.

Just a thought…

Happiness is a butterfly that flits in and out of our lives without any predictability. Sometimes it happens roughly coinciding with “happy” occasions; sometimes it just happens without any intervention from us. We’ve all had those moments where we realize, “I feel happy,” even when nothing is happening to make it so.

But as Christians, we are not after mere happiness. We are after the JOY of knowing the Lord. JOY is not a butterfly, but more like an electric generator that powers us predictably. It is a current of divine LOVE that we cannot ever switch off, even in the midst of severe trials. JOY is what the martyrs know as they go to their deaths. JOY is what allows Christians to have serenity as they go through what seem to be horrific experiences. JOY means we look forward to life everlasting, not life as it is here today.

Aim for JOY!

I think the real problem with the OP is all in attitude. He has it all as far as most average folks are concerned, intelligence, wealth, gerat parents, great education good salary and even better future prospects, BUT he wants more and he wants it immediately. BUT there are a few folks that have even more, so he for whatever reason feels cheated or inferior.

What he does not see, or can not empathsize with is the fact that 99% of the rest of the folks in this country, and 99.9 % of the rest of the world can not even hope to ever obtain or achieve what he hopes and probably will attain in the future.

Remember Jesus tells us that to whom much is given, much is expected. You have been given an incredibly generous helping of intelligence, weath, and potential, what will you give God back in return ???

Remember the story of Lazarus and the rich man who ignores him. We are all called to charity, rich and poor alike. IF you are wealthy, God expects you to help the poor even more than if you are less well off.

Giving some bucks to some arts deal is commendable, BUT relative to your wealth, is it even close to being reasonable. What about the soup kitchens, what about the prison ministries, what about the masses of staving folks in Africa and Asia ???

IF you want to be happy, GIVE until it feels good !!!

God will judge us ONE criteria, and ONLY ONE na dthat is did we love God above ALL things and did we LOVE our neighbors as ourselves.

So do you give as much to the poor and needy as you do for your own enjoyment ??? DO you give MORE to your Church than you do for your luxuries, fancy cars, and big home ???

Seek God and Heaven first and happiness automatically follow. You need to think first about God and others, and I guarantee you, you will be a much happier person for it.

Every time you buy something, does the thrill of acquiring it not disappear as soon as you have obtained it ??? It is a fleeting illusion that you are chasing. You will NEVER be about to acquire enough stuff for you ever to be happy. The joy is in giving NOT receiving.

It’s been over two weeks. I still have the feeling that I’m not good enough in life. Other excelled more than me, ie started at the Ivy League before 18, became super young doctors, etc. I’m just an average joe. Pathetic, worthless, just average…nothing special. Whatever happens, I will die in mediocrity.

How can it be that no one else feels like me? If you are just “average” how do you live with yourself knowing there are smarter, richer, more prestigious people out there? HOW?!?!

Even if I reach my profesional goals in the future, why would it matter if others reached the same goal before me on a “traditional pathway” (ie, straight after undergrad, not a career change). Doesn’t that negate my achievements and make them “average Joeish”.:(:(:(:(:(:(😦
There’s nothing wrong with being average. Even if you had achieved your professional goals at a younger age than others, you would still be average and maybe even less than average in other ways. No one is the best in everything in their life. So what if you’re the best doctor and achieved it at a younger age than others? It’s still only one aspect of life. Someone else might not be a doctor but they will be a gourmet chef, an opera singer, etc. So they will be better than you in another area of life. The trouble with always being the best is that it’s an impossible goal to sustain over time. Once you achieve something, there’s always something else to achieve so you can never be satisfied. It’s a trap. If you were taught that you had to be the best to have any value, then someone taught you the wrong thing. Maybe it’s the only validation you had as a child and youth and so it would be understandable that you would feel you must keep achieving to feel good. The other thing is that being smarter, richer, more prestigious is not always in someone’s personal control. Is someone supposed to feel less of a person than someone else because they were born with great artistic talent rather than a high IQ? If you are constantly comparing yourself to someone else, you give your power away. If you focus more on what you enjoy doing rather than if you can do it better than someone else, I think you may have more peace of mind.

Think about life this way, you can have it all in this life and get nothing in return in the next life OR you can be generous giving it away in this life and store treasure in Heaven.

You have about a hundred years of pleasure seeking, fame or fortune in this life at most. You stand to gain everything for all eternity in the next.

You can have it here and now, and nothing later or you can restrict yourself now and have everything later.

What kind of pleasure do you derive from having more or being more famous than anyone else ??? Do you really crave the envy of every other person ?

Think about how folks really feel about the super rich or the really powerful…They are either really envious of them like you are, or they really look down on them as if they feel they do not deserve it or they lied or cheated to get where they are or the were just lucky to be born with a silver spoon.

It sounds like you were born with a silver spoon, BUT now you wish you had that golden spoon or diamond spoon instead… it’s a very short step to jump into the spoiled rotten category. I don’t think you are there yet, but it seems you are well on your way…

You should look to where the real riches are, and that is in your relationship to others, most especiallly to folks who were not as fortunate as you (which is probably most of everyone on these boards except you)… just remember the next time you see a homeless person or the average working person,“But for the grace of God , go I”. You could very easily have been born into a normal working class family or in a slum, or in sub-Saharan Aftica in a mud hut.

God gave you everything you have and everything you are, don’t you think you need to show some gratitude by giving back to God and His poor ??? Just think the few thousands of dollars that you spend on opera could have fed an entire village for a week or several weeks, maybe even a year…

Join some chairty group like the Knights of Columbus or the St Vincent De Paul society. You can do a lot of good. And the friends you make will be sincere and not worried about how much you make or how famous you are. True friends don’t worry about stuff like that. You need to foster within yourself, a kind and generous spirit. That’s where true happiness comes from, a giving heart and a generous soul.

No one like someone who is always thinking about number one. That gets tired and old really quick. Folks need confidence and some pride to succeed, but no one likes a braggart or an arrogant SOB. You can do a tremoendous ampunt of good as a doctor, BUT are you doing it for the money and prestige OR are you doing so to help humanily and help people get well ???

There is a world of difference in how you answer that. One is entirely selfish and the other is entirely noble.

OP here.

It’s been a while now. I thought/prayed some. I’m still Catholic because I believe God and that He created the Catholic Church. I find “warm/fuzzy” happiness via my religion. I realize that is OK because I’m Catholic for objective reasons (the true church) not because it “comforts” me.

I’m still unhappy. Many many people are so much better than me: smarter, higher Ivy League status/achievements, etc.

I got my MCAT scores and I submitted applications to medical schools (MD and DO, equivalent degrees) for Fall 2013 matriculation. I’m unmarried with no wife or kids to deal with so I have enough money to live comfortably during school. I’ve had casual girlfriends and enjoy the companionship but never cared enough about another person to be with them all the time, romantically or not.

I just can’t comprehend how so many people (seems like everyone but me) can be happy with being “average”. I might make up for my average accomplishments (relative to others) by hopefully matching into a prestigious residency program, etc.

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back