B
BornAgain2010
Guest
I have a question regarding the Old Testament. Specifically, the Book of Genesis.
I was reading it earleir this morning, but now Im confused.
Genesis Ch. 22 (I think its 22, or 23),…the part where it talks about purchasing the land so he could bury his wife. He (Abraham) and the town council argue back and forth over whether or not he should pay for it (the land). In the end he pays them for the land and buries his wife.
Now, in the context of the rest of the chapters, it makes perfect sense.
However, as a “stand-alone”, its rather vague.
The main thing I interpret (in a stand-alone context), is its basically trying to say that you shouldnt take advantage of people (even if they give you something free). That you should beg and plead to do the right thing (which would be to return the favor). In this case, the “giving” of payment for the land (which at the begining of the chapter, the council was going to give it to him for free).
Another conclusion could be that of “doing the right thing”. as obviously its the correct protocol to pay for something rather than simply “take it”. Most people would say, “oh, free. thank you”. whereas Abraham says, “no, I must pay for it. Otherwise that would be dishonest.” So in that sense, it could concluded as doing better than the average person, in the interest of ethics.
Am I correct in that logic? or am I just reading too much into an otherwise rather ordinary chapter of Genesis?
PS
Also since Im here. If you could recommend me some books on hyperdulia and Marianism, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
I was reading it earleir this morning, but now Im confused.
Genesis Ch. 22 (I think its 22, or 23),…the part where it talks about purchasing the land so he could bury his wife. He (Abraham) and the town council argue back and forth over whether or not he should pay for it (the land). In the end he pays them for the land and buries his wife.
Now, in the context of the rest of the chapters, it makes perfect sense.
However, as a “stand-alone”, its rather vague.
The main thing I interpret (in a stand-alone context), is its basically trying to say that you shouldnt take advantage of people (even if they give you something free). That you should beg and plead to do the right thing (which would be to return the favor). In this case, the “giving” of payment for the land (which at the begining of the chapter, the council was going to give it to him for free).
Another conclusion could be that of “doing the right thing”. as obviously its the correct protocol to pay for something rather than simply “take it”. Most people would say, “oh, free. thank you”. whereas Abraham says, “no, I must pay for it. Otherwise that would be dishonest.” So in that sense, it could concluded as doing better than the average person, in the interest of ethics.
Am I correct in that logic? or am I just reading too much into an otherwise rather ordinary chapter of Genesis?
PS
Also since Im here. If you could recommend me some books on hyperdulia and Marianism, I would appreciate it. Thank you.