Genuflecting before the Tabernacle

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

I always felt it most appropriate to genuflect EVERY SINGLE TIME I past the tabernacle. Not only do I feel it appropriate, but I feel that it is REQUIRED.

Now my questions are:
  1. Why does it seem that in most Catholic Churches people
    bow to the tabernacle instead of genuflect? Is this permitted
    as a substitution for genuflection?
  2. Why is it in tridentine communities EVERY single person
    seems to genuflect EVERY single time they pass the
    tabernacle but in Novus Ordo parishes this is not the case?
Thanks,
James_2:24

Genuflection toward the tabernacle is still required, however, after mass has started, the altar becomes the primary focus, thus we are encouraged to bow toward the alter during mass. The new GIRM explains this rubric in more detail.
  1. Why is it in tridentine communities EVERY single person
Hehe, this question seems to answer itself, but in my opinion, the tridentines are better catechized and know better. It’s unfortunate that many perceive the Novus Ordo as ‘do what you please, come as you are’, as if to disregard the real reason for attending mass in the first place.

1. A genuflection, made by bending the right knee to the ground, signifies adoration, and therefore it is reserved for the Most Blessed Sacrament, as well as for the Holy Cross from the solemn adoration during the liturgical celebration on Good Friday until the beginning of the Easter Vigil.
During Mass, three genuflections are made by the priest celebrant: namely, after the showing of the host, after the showing of the chalice, and before Communion. Certain specific features to be observed in a concelebrated Mass are noted in their proper place (cf. above, nos. 210-251).
If, however, the tabernacle with the Most Blessed Sacrament is present in the sanctuary, the priest, the deacon, and the other ministers genuflect when they approach the altar and when they depart from it, but not during the celebration of Mass itself.
Otherwise all who pass before the Most Blessed Sacrament genuflect, unless they are moving in procession.
Ministers carrying the processional cross or candles bow their heads instead of genuflecting.
The Body and Blood of Christ present under the appearances of bread and wine are treated with the greatest reverence both during and after the celebration of the Eucharist … According to the tradition of the Latin Church, one should genuflect in the presence of the tabernacle containing the reserved sacrament. In the Eastern Catholic Churches, the traditional practice is to make the sign of the cross and to bow profoundly. The liturgical gestures from both traditions reflect reverence, respect, and adoration.
It seems to me that genuflecting is highly appropriate when coming to or passing Jesus in the Eucharist in the tabernacle. I don’t think there are any guidelines as to how often you need to genuflect.

For me, I do it upon entering into the presence, leaving the presence, or approaching the tabernacle. But I also don’t like to overdo it, if for some reason, I’m in the church near the tabernacle for a while. I don’t want to draw undue attention to myself, but give God the attention He deserves.

I am aware of some in my parish who cannot genuflect due to health or medical reasons. So I don’t think we have the right to judge anyone who bows instead of genuflecting. We can only be an example ourselves, and share with them the purpose of the action.

GB!

It is only allowed as a substitution if one cannot genuflect due to physical or medical reasons.
  1. Why is it in tridentine communities EVERY single person
This is not always true. I am in a “Novus Ordo parish” I genuflect every time I pass in front of the tabernacle or toward the tabernacle every time I step up into the Sanctuary or down from the Sanctuary. (The taberncale is off to the right of the Sanctuary) I have noticed that many others are now doing the same. However our pastor and other clergy do not acknowledge the presence of Christ in this manner.

James_2:24:
I always felt it most appropriate to genuflect EVERY SINGLE TIME I past the tabernacle. Not only do I feel it appropriate, but I feel that it is REQUIRED.

Now my questions are:
  2. Why is it in tridentine communities EVERY single person
Thanks,
James_2:24
1.a. Abominable or non-existant catechesis.

2.a. Because those that seek-out “tridentine communities” typically (but by no means always) care about following the Church’s direction – in this case about genuflecting in front of the reposed Most Blessed Sacrament.

I’m looking into the comment I made (Q:1), for it appears to be out of harmony with the GIRM. I recently read a synopsis of the new GIRM, so the ‘no genuflecting during mass’ may be a local addendum (I haven’t been able to read the new GIRM yet). I did not mean to cause confusion. Thank you.

A lack of rspect for the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament may be due, in part, anyway, to the lack of consistency of the location of the tabernacle. In some churches, it’s on one side, in others it’s behind the altar, in still others, it’s in the back of the church (don’t ask me why).

There also may be people who weren’t taught that the Blessed Sacrament is present and must be shown the proper reverence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back