George Bush Job Approval Rating

• Thread starter Thread starter Sirach14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things that the Election of 2004 taught me is NOT to BELIEVE in POLLS!

I have yet to be polled politically, except for these forums…of course.

A few things:

Just because Bush got 51% of the votes, doesn’t mean that everyone who voted for him approved of the job he was doing, or that they thought the country was headed in the right direction.

Also, those who feel more negatively about him would be less likely to vote, period. Since some of the pre-election polls were limited to likely voters, I would expect today’s negative numbers to be a little higher than the percent that actually voted against him.

Finally, in the run-up to the election, there was a serious blitz of campaigning. In that setting, Bush supporters were likely to discount most of the negative news they heard as just Democratic propaganda. Since the election, there hasn’t been a ton of negative news, but neither has Bush been very active or visible during that period.

So I don’t think any changes in the polls since election day are very significant. What is noteworthy is that Bush’s approval rating is about 10 points lower than Clinton and Reagan when they began their second terms. This does not bode well for Bush. However, he has an advantage those presidents didn’t have, which is a Congress of the same party.

As for trusting the polls, they were pretty accurate for this election.

40.png
Sirach14:
I would like to know who these people are who get polled? I t sure isn’t me.
Did the 51% of voters who voted for Bush, now have a change of heart?

realclearpolitics.com/polls.html
Information at your link is old.

AP anyway, seems a little scewed (big shock!):

Party affiliation breakdown for the 1,001 Adults, (836 Registered voters) for the Ipsos-Public Affairs AP Poll dated January 3-5, 2005. The poll has a margin of error of 3.1% for all Adults and 3.4% for Registered voters. Now the poll sample for Registered voters was:AP/Ipsos Project #81-5139-09

43% Republican
49% Democrat
08% Independent

Source: Associated Press/Ipsos-Public Affairs - Project #81-5139-09 January 3-5, 2005.

Furthermore, to help get the 49% to 49% approval/disapproval for President Bush, the AP/Ipsos poll chose this poll to sample “all Adults” instead of the “Registered Voters” who have been answering this question since February, 2004.

*AP Trend, among *registered voters:

**Approval 50% **12/17-19/04

**Gallup Poll **and** CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll** <GRAPHIC>

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president?"

1/3-5/05 52%

Monday, January 10, 2005
[52% Approve, 44% Disapprove]

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush got high marks for his handling of the tsunami disaster, and his job approval rating went up in a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Monday, but most of those surveyed had doubts about his call to overhaul Social Security.

Bush’s job approval rating went up to 52 percent in the poll, which was conducted Friday through Sunday in phone calls to 1,008 adult Americans. That’s an improvement of 3 percentage points from the last CNN poll, taken in mid-December.

Another 44 percent said they disapproved of his job performance, down 2 percentage points from the December 17-19 survey. The latest poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Bush got his highest marks in a year on his handling of the economy, with 50 percent of those polled saying they approved of his performance.

He also got high marks for his handling of the Indian Ocean tsunami disaster, with 75 percent of respondents saying they approved of the way he handling it.

But only 42 percent of those surveyed said they approved of his handling of the war in Iraq, and 56 percent disapproved.

And 52 percent said they disapproved of his handling of Social Security – an issue Bush has called on Congress to tackle in his second term. Only 41 percent said they approved of Bush’s desire to revamp Social Security, on which he has promised to spend the “political capital” he earned from his November election victory.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back