George Bush Talks Big, and He Delivers

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Max Boot: “George Bush Talks Big, and He Delivers.”
No, the insurgency isn’t over. No, U.S. troops can’t come home yet. No, one election does not a democracy make. No, paradise has not dawned in Mesopotamia. Every caveat offered by the cautious is true. Yet even days later, all I can say is … wow!

For those of us who supported President Bush’s decision to liberate Iraq — and who, unlike some fair-weather friends, never wavered in our conviction that it was the right thing to do — there hasn’t been a lot of good news to celebrate since the capture of Saddam Hussein. And that was more than a year ago.

So you will forgive me if I savor Monday’s headlines: “Iraqi Turnout Trumps Violence”; “Security Effort Holds Insurgents Mostly at Bay”; “President Hails Election as a Success and a Signal.” Even more eloquent were the ubiquitous pictures of Iraqis giving terrorists the finger — literally — as they exhibited ink-stained index fingers showing they had voted.

I am not a weeper, but as I watched television coverage of the voting I found myself on the verge of tears. Tears of relief and jubilation and astonishment. The spectacle of millions of Iraqis braving bombs and bullets to cast ballots was awe-inspiring and humbling. It made me feel slightly ashamed about my own attitude toward voting. I, like many other citizens of well- established democracies, tend to view it as a chore, like taking out the garbage. Iraqis do not have the luxury of taking democracy for granted. They were dying to vote — and some in fact died in the act. But others stepped up into the voting booth anyway.

read the rest
latimes.com/news/columnists/la-oe-boot3feb03,1,7704654.column?ctrack=2&cset=true

The naysayers will never admit it. The cost will have always been too high. They said the same thing after the American Revolution.

40.png
buffalo:
The naysayers will never admit it. The cost will have always been too high. They said the same thing after the American Revolution.
And BEFORE WWII. Those folks are now touted as our ‘greatest generation.’ Amazing how things look in hindsight. The Iraqi election was positively uplifting. How can the naysayers claim these people do not deserve freedom?

Lisa N

Lisa N:
And BEFORE WWII. Those folks are now touted as our ‘greatest generation.’ Amazing how things look in hindsight. The Iraqi election was positively uplifting. How can the naysayers claim these people do not deserve freedom?

Lisa N
Because it doesn’t fit with their worldview. We should let these people fight each other forever. However, if they are dying of AIDS instead of dying for freedom we should step in a give them condoms. Now that’s secular humanitarianism.

Sure, the Iraqis deserve freedom and the right to vote for whom they want.

But, wait until the Shi’ite Islamists win and the Iraqis reject Bush’s stooge, Allawi. We might hear a different tune from the White House then.

40.png
Richardols:

But, wait until the Shi’ite Islamists win and the Iraqis reject Bush’s stooge, Allawi. We might hear a different tune from the White House then.
They will work with whomever is elected. Do we influence who wins in France, Germany, Japan, Luxembourg, or other places we helped liberate? Get real.

40.png
Richardols:

Yeah, if they start rattling their terrorist sabres.

Fitz, why don’t you get real. There’s a difference between European politics and those in the Middle East.

The Administration certainly does have hopes for certain politicians in Iraq and hasn’t made it a secret that they want Allawi. And if he loses, and so far he seems to be behind, we’ll just have to work with the winner - if he’s willing to work with us.

Grin and bear it, even if the new government aligns itself with Iran or introduces Sharia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back