germs on the Communion cup

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rob_in_Oregon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob_in_Oregon

Guest
Perhaps this has been discussed already.

Our parish has Communion under both species. At the mass we attend, there are about 500 people receiving the Precious Blood from 4 chalices.

Knowing what I do about communicable diseases, this seems like medical suicide.

My wife insists on being a Eucharistic minister, often distributing the Precious Blood, and then consuming the “leftovers” (no irreverence intended) once everyone else has received.

How long will it be until I get killer tuberculosis, hepatitis, HIV, the flu, or something else from kissing her?

I have expressed my concerns to her, but she persists.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Rob in Oregon
 
How long will it be until I get killer tuberculosis, hepatitis, HIV, the flu, or something else from kissing her?
  • Rob in Oregon
Not nearly as likely as winning the Oregon Lottery…(if there is one)

Lets see Tuberculosis…your wife has to get it first before you can catch it from her and believe me you will KNOW if she has tuberculosis Hepatitis…blood born pathogen (not precious blood though) HIV…see Hepatitis The flu?..if you catch the flu it wont be from the chalice…
 
Perhaps this has been discussed already.

Our parish has Communion under both species. At the mass we attend, there are about 500 people receiving the Precious Blood from 4 chalices.

Knowing what I do about communicable diseases, this seems like medical suicide.

My wife insists on being a Eucharistic minister, often distributing the Precious Blood, and then consuming the “leftovers” (no irreverence intended) once everyone else has received.

How long will it be until I get killer tuberculosis, hepatitis, HIV, the flu, or something else from kissing her?

I have expressed my concerns to her, but she persists.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Rob in Oregon
This has been addressed by the Catholic & Episcopal Churches. There does not appear to have been one documented case of serious disease transmission from receiving under both species. As for colds or influenza, shaking hands at the Sign of Peace would be a more likely culprit.
 
Our priest told us he has never heard of a case of transmission of a disease through people taking communion from the same cup.

I know that is not scientific evidence, but maybe it counts for something.

I think if you did an internet search you could find out the statistics. And chances are they are probably low.
 
Perhaps this has been discussed already.

Our parish has Communion under both species. At the mass we attend, there are about 500 people receiving the Precious Blood from 4 chalices.

Knowing what I do about communicable diseases, this seems like medical suicide.

My wife insists on being a Eucharistic minister, often distributing the Precious Blood, and then consuming the “leftovers” (no irreverence intended) once everyone else has received.

How long will it be until I get killer tuberculosis, hepatitis, HIV, the flu, or something else from kissing her?

I have expressed my concerns to her, but she persists.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
  • Rob in Oregon
There are so many sources of infection - are you as concerned about them as well?
 
These diseases are transmitted by bodily fluids, saliva included.

There is a documented case of a young girl getting HIV from kissing an infected boy. The sores in her gums allowed the virus into her blood stream.

If someone comes down with tuberculosis, how does he know where he got it? It could have happened anywhere, including the Communion cup, but proving the exact place it was contracted is nearly impossible.

I’ve also never heard of someone saying, “I got the flu during the Our Father.” But, he could have.

Yes, there is an Oregon Lottery. The more you play, the more you lose. And, the more you drink out of that cup, the more risk you take.
  • Rob
 
Maybe I’m naive or an idiot (or both :D), but since this is the Precious Blood, wouldn’t that cancel out the dangers of catching something? I don’t say this to be a jerk, it’s just kind of what I always thought.
 
I don’t know about everyone else, but if I’m feeling sick, I just don’t recieve the Blood.
 
Tuberculosis germs are not valid matter for consecration. It could be the Precious Blood, plus the bacteria.

If something is added to the cup after the consecration, it does not become the Precious Blood.

I know that lots of the faithful really like receiving under both species and I’m sorry to be such a sourpuss. But, this is definitely something to consider.
  • Rob
 
I don’t know about everyone else, but if I’m feeling sick, I just don’t recieve the Blood.
Me neither. Jesus never guaranteed that his precious blood would cancel out germs. I feel that I need to err on the side of caution and charity and not drink the precious blood.
 
I am going to check into this. Being an LEM, maybe it is something for me to consider.

On the other hand, I suppose if you are not comfortable receiving the cup, you should not feel bad,right?
 
I am going to check into this. Being an LEM, maybe it is something for me to consider.

On the other hand, I suppose if you are not comfortable receiving the cup, you should not feel bad,right?
Exactly! Receiving under one species is sufficient. 🙂
 
Maybe I’m naive or an idiot (or both :D), but since this is the Precious Blood, wouldn’t that cancel out the dangers of catching something? I don’t say this to be a jerk, it’s just kind of what I always thought.
No, the matter of the species hasn’t changed, so it is possible to contain germs etc, albeit unlikely. But I don’t drink from the Chalice either. Does that make me a coward? Probably. Well, if the Church says I don’t have to, well then, I won’t.
 
No, the matter of the species hasn’t changed, so it is possible to contain germs etc, albeit unlikely. But I don’t drink from the Chalice either. Does that make me a coward? Probably. Well, if the Church says I don’t have to, well then, I won’t.
I didn’t mean to insinuate that anyone was a coward, I was just stating my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone, as that was not my intention,
 
Our priest told us he has never heard of a case of transmission of a disease through people taking communion from the same cup.

I know that is not scientific evidence, but maybe it counts for something.

I think if you did an internet search you could find out the statistics. And chances are they are probably low.
It’s only anecdotal evidence, but our associate pastor has not gotten seriously sick with a cold or flu since he stopped sharing his chalice (he used to get sick a lot). No one else uses his chalice, and he will not purify (drink from) chalices that the congregation has used.

Of course, this means that the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion have to purify the chalices, which is against the rules.😦

His preference would be that the congregation receive under only one species, but he is not in charge.
 
If we all received under intinction, this would not be a problem, would it? (Oh no, I’m going traddy)!:o
 
If we all received under intinction, this would not be a problem, would it? (Oh no, I’m going traddy)!:o
I agree, intinction is a great option. A couple of local priests do it regularly, and it works beautifully. Their congregations know the procedure: receive on the tongue with intinction, or in the hands without.
 
If we all received under intinction, this would not be a problem, would it? (Oh no, I’m going traddy)!:o
Actually, there is just as much chance of transmitting disease. Priest touches tongue, touches Host, Host to mouth. I just don’t worry about it or I’d never go to Communion.
 
My church is really small and I think we spread germs around regardless of the chalice or not. And I am with the choir, and the choir gets to go up first so we are ready to sing during communion. So if we have anything, I guess we spread it to everyone else…

I am also on Altar Guild so I know what the procedures are and how the wine and wafers are handled before being put in the cruet or the ciborium so I know how carefully things are handled. Of course, one stray germ someone could be all it takes, I guess.

On the other hand, I just can’t beat the feeling I get going to communion and receiving both species.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top