C
Charlie_Zeaiter
Guest
Just wait until you try the real and Catholic one!… On the other hand, I just can’t beat the feeling I get going to communion and receiving both species.
Just wait until you try the real and Catholic one!… On the other hand, I just can’t beat the feeling I get going to communion and receiving both species.
Been there, done that!Just wait until you try the real and Catholic one!
(Only kidding.)
When there was an outbreak of bacterial meningitis in our area, the Bishop suspended receiving from the cup for a period of time. If receiving was risk-free, he wouldn’t have needed to do that.Maybe I’m naive or an idiot (or both), but since this is the Precious Blood, wouldn’t that cancel out the dangers of catching something? I don’t say this to be a jerk, it’s just kind of what I always thought.
These are never easy questions.When there was an outbreak of bacterial meningitis in our area, the Bishop suspended receiving from the cup for a period of time. If receiving was risk-free, he wouldn’t have needed to do that.
When I was in an Episcopal seminary, there was an outbreak of hepatitis and everyone suspected the common Cup. When the verdict was rendered, it was flatware in the cafeteria.Our priest told us he has never heard of a case of transmission of a disease through people taking communion from the same cup.
I know that is not scientific evidence, but maybe it counts for something.
I think if you did an internet search you could find out the statistics. And chances are they are probably low.
It takes more than one stray germ. Francisella tularensis, one of THE most contagious diseases, and it takes FIVE organisms to infect. However, it doesn’t transmit human-to-human and is rarely airborne. Thought that would make you feel better.My church is really small and I think we spread germs around regardless of the chalice or not. And I am with the choir, and the choir gets to go up first so we are ready to sing during communion. So if we have anything, I guess we spread it to everyone else…
I am also on Altar Guild so I know what the procedures are and how the wine and wafers are handled before being put in the cruet or the ciborium so I know how carefully things are handled. Of course, one stray germ someone could be all it takes, I guess.
On the other hand, I just can’t beat the feeling I get going to communion and receiving both species.
When giving Holy Communion on the tongue there is no need to touch the tongue. Anyone who is properly trained can place the Host on the tongue without touching.Actually, there is just as much chance of transmitting disease. Priest touches tongue, touches Host, Host to mouth. I just don’t worry about it or I’d never go to Communion.
I got married 32 years ago and I didn’t take a vow to obey anyone.To Rob in Oregon,
She took a vow to honor and obey, and she would please God more by respecting her husband’s wishes, than by consuming leftover wine.
Nita
Let me put it this way, I had to avoid looking at a former pastor during Mass or I would have avoided Communion at all cost. At any given time his fingers were in his nose, his ears, picking at scabs, etc. Compared to that, drinking from the chalice was a breeze.When giving Holy Communion on the tongue there is no need to touch the tongue. Anyone who is properly trained can place the Host on the tongue without touching.
Sorry, but the bible does say, ‘Wives obey your husbands…’I got married 32 years ago and I didn’t take a vow to obey anyone.
That’s not a vow and I obey as long as what he wants is reasonable.Sorry, but the bible does say, ‘Wives obey your husbands…’
Me either…and it was 32 years ago.I got married 32 years ago and I didn’t take a vow to obey anyone.
Or people are paranoid.When there was an outbreak of bacterial meningitis in our area, the Bishop suspended receiving from the cup for a period of time. If receiving was risk-free, he wouldn’t have needed to do that.
True. It would make for an awesome story in Heaven when everyone shares how they died.I figure, if I die from receiving His blood, so be it. I can’t imagine a better way to go out than that, anyway.
Excellent…I figure, if I die from receiving His blood, so be it. I can’t imagine a better way to go out than that, anyway.
Plus once I’m dead, I either won’t realize it in a human sense, or won’t care.
By definition (of God and Heaven, that is) I am sure once we are all dead we will wonder why we fought so hard to stay alive on this planet anyway.