Gifts for priests?

• Thread starter Thread starter liebchen77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

liebchen77

Is it appropriate for me to get our priest a gift? We just celebrated the baptism of our son, and I wanted to let him know how much we appreciated him performing the sacrament.

What sorts of things are appropriate? (We already gave a gift of money, but I wanted something more personal).

thanks!

They always appreciate money. However, if you want to get him something else, maybe a gift card to his favorite bookstore. Try to steer clear of restaurants because the parishes take care of that and, as my brother explained it to me, it’s like driving a company car and someone giving you gas for the car.

Is it appropriate for me to get our priest a gift? We just celebrated the baptism of our son, and I wanted to let him know how much we appreciated him performing the sacrament.

What sorts of things are appropriate? (We already gave a gift of money, but I wanted something more personal).

thanks!
WOW! What an excellent question. I suppose it depends if they’ve taken vows of poverty (???) - then one might question giving money. But otherwise, I’d guess that’s best…Now, you have me thinking a new question:

When we give a gift of money - when do they accept it as a personal gift - or an offering?

They always appreciate money. However, if you want to get him something else, maybe a gift card to his favorite bookstore. Try to steer clear of restaurants because the parishes take care of that and, as my brother explained it to me, it’s like driving a company car and someone giving you gas for the car.
What do you mean the parish takes care of restuarants? Around here if the guys want to go to a resturant they pay for it out of thier own pocket. The parish only takes care of food in the rectory.

In our diocese (and I assume it’s the same elsewhere), in addition to their stipend, the parishes furnish the priests with a place to live, utilities, and groceries. If they eat out, they turn in the reciepts and are reimbursed for their meals.

In addition, the parishes pay for gas, maintenance, and taxes on their vehicles.

I know you’re thinking of material gifts. But if I may make a suggestion. I’ve heard several priests say they appreciate this a great deal. Buy a simple thank you card and write on the inside something like, “Father, I will say one rosary per month for the next year for your intentions.” Or, you could offer one hour of adoration. One Hail Mary a day. Etc. In other words, offer your prayers for him. It can be as much or as simple as you feel able to do. Priests need prayers more than anything. (And make sure you actually follow through on the promise.)

I think most priests would be touched by this gesture and very thankful. I know I would. 🙂

When I was growing up my family didn’t have much money and well we did live on a dairy farm and well the priest didn’t seem to care that he got invited to sunday dinner for his pay but back then there wasn’t alot of hired help. And it was a priest with several churchs to say mass in. Some were maybe once a month or every other sunday. And beleive it or not it is still that way in some places even in this county.

I know you’re thinking of material gifts. But if I may make a suggestion. I’ve heard several priests say they appreciate this a great deal. Buy a simple thank you card and write on the inside something like, “Father, I will say one rosary per month for the next year for your intentions.” Or, you could offer one hour of adoration. One Hail Mary a day. Etc. In other words, offer your prayers for him. It can be as much or as simple as you feel able to do. Priests need prayers more than anything. (And make sure you actually follow through on the promise.)

I think most priests would be touched by this gesture and very thankful. I know I would. 🙂
What a wonderful idea! I did buy a book called The Grunt Padre, since he recently got back from Iraq serving as a chaplain. I’m going to include a thank-you card telling him that I will pray one rosary per month for a year for his intentions and for an increase in young men answering the call for priesthood. Thanks so much for this great idea–it really is the type of thing I wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back