S
sedonaman
Guest
Do you consider her to be marriage material? If not, remember, you don’t marry someone you didn’t date.…
I’ve been dating this girl for 3 weeks. …
Do you consider her to be marriage material? If not, remember, you don’t marry someone you didn’t date.…
I’ve been dating this girl for 3 weeks. …
Yes.It is interesting - the number of people who have pointed out to you that your values are very VERY different are (in my opinion) the people who have a real understanding of this situation.
She deserves to be with someone who shares her values.
You deserve to be with someone who shares your values.
Thank HEAVENS you found out only 3 weeks into dating! You can be friendly, keep her in prayer and let her go so she can find that person she needs to be with - the man who shares her values.
And you deserve someone who shares your values.![]()
Seriously and honestly “count the cost”, at any rate. Take her as she is, or let her find someone who can. There is no shame in admitting that this person or that has things going that we can’t accept in a spouse, including coming to realize that there are things in us that they’d never accept in a spouse. It is very foolish to try to push past that knowledge. The initial sadness of accepting it is far less than the sadness to come if one fails to accept the obvious.Sometimes that kind of relationship can turn into an emotional roller coaster, if it were me I’d bail out before getting seriously hurt in the long run.
No need to take this personally. The OPs situation has nothing to do with you and your life choices. Maybe your path is not wrong, but at the same time you maybe could have made a different, better choice. I once asked a priest for advice regarding my then recent marriage to a non-Catholic. I was suddenly afraid I did the wrong thing. The priest said maybe I did. He also said that even if I did, God can turn the situation into something good but I must trust Him and let Him work in my life. His answer made sense to me. I very much doubt that God wants us to marry non believers. But when we make that decision, He will helps us cope as much as we let Him.As for 2 Cor. I must presume that my path has been wrong for the past 24 years.
Not really taking this personally. More said in irony. If you read my previous comments, I was trying to make this point exactly and found the finality of other responses a bit bothersome. It is as if many do not believe that God can turn any circumstances into good despite what is expressed in Romans 8:28. Meanwhile, I have often found it to be a true and worthwhile passage.…He also said that even if I did, God can turn the situation into something good but I must trust Him and let Him work in my life. His answer made sense to me. I very much doubt that God wants us to marry non believers. But when we make that decision, He will helps us cope as much as we let Him.
Oh to be young again. Our past and their past has a lot to do with how things will turn out. To take this to the extreme, if someone was an abuser (physical or drug even) - they aren’t now but once were - it is crazy to think they will never abuse again. If someone has or has had loose morals (premarital sex) it is very possible they are and will be still loose. In a relationship, these are the people who are more likely to cheat on their spouse.I don’t consider my girlfriends past at all. I just concentrate on our relationship. Look for a partner you are compatible with will lead to the best relationship.
That isn’t true. I had a pastor ( I used to be a protestant) who was a drug user and spent some time in prison for drug possession and theft. He is an awesome loving man who has devoted his life to God and has been happily married for over 30 years. We all have sinful pasts. While some people who have bad pasts do revert to their old behavior, many do not and it is not fair to assume they will. God can sure make big differences in peoples lives. Look at Saint Paul, he was a Christian killer and persecutor. God then came into his life and changed him and he became one of our greatest Christian teachers and Saints. God can use the worst sinners to end up serving Him and glorifying him the most.Oh to be young again. Our past and their past has a lot to do with how things will turn out. To take this to the extreme, if someone was an abuser (physical or drug even) - they aren’t now but once were - it is crazy to think they will never abuse again. If someone has or has had loose morals (premarital sex) it is very possible they are and will be still loose. In a relationship, these are the people who are more likely to cheat on their spouse.
While this may be entirely true, it doesn’t tell the whole story. I’d wager that if you compared those who “think premarital sex is OK, but cheating is wrong” with those who “think both premarital sex and cheating are wrong”, you’d find a significantly different infidelity rate. And that’s I think what dconklin was getting at: the person willing to wait for marriage to have sex is extremely likely to be faithful in marriage.Also just because someone had premarital sex does not mean they are likely to cheat. Also most of those who do not see premarital sex as wrong, see cheating as wrong. Just sayin’.