B
bkovacs
Guest
Quote " I will not deny that you rarely find a boy serving the altar in the Ordinary Form wearing a cassock and surplice, but it is still done; stop making false dichotomies. And what exactly is pagan about the albs and cinctures worn by the others who serve the altar?"You “do not recognize” them? What do that mean, you treat them as lower-class people, as mangy dogs to be scorned?
I don’t think opening up ministry at the altar to girls was a prudent decision, but I accept that the Church has officially permitted it, and I don’t denigrate or look down upon girls who serve at the altar. And it is silliness to call an altar girl an “altar boy” (since “boy” and “boys” are not inclusive as “man” and “men” are) so it makes sense to call them “altar girls” or, collectively with the altar boys, “altar servers”.
The Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite does not require what you call “pagan looking vestments”. I will not deny that you rarely find a boy serving the altar in the Ordinary Form wearing a cassock and surplice, but it is still done; stop making false dichotomies. And what exactly is pagan about the albs and cinctures worn by the others who serve the altar?
I would expect that happens in many parishes. I did it as a boy at the parish I grew up at, 20 years ago.
I heard it every week at my previous parish, and I heard it this past Sunday at (what might be) my new parish. I’m sorry you don’t hear them.
Agreed!. Why stop using the cassock and surplice?.
Quote: " I don’t denigrate or look down upon girls who serve at the altar."
I don’t look down on them at all. But they cannot be priests!. The Altar Boy’s function is to serve the priest and through him, God Himself. There is no function to which he might ever aspire, except the Priesthood itself, which will bring him to a more lofty service. Was this theology changed?.