Give me 3 things to do instead of crying in self-pity!

  • Thread starter Thread starter chazk728
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely rent/watch a favourite funny movie or better still a season of your favourite funny tv show. Even if it’s a cartoon that made you laugh as a kid. Or call a friend or relative who always makes you laugh.

Alternaltively, get praying - for yourself, for all those out there in the world who are suffering depression alongside you at this moment, and for all those who are suffering WORSE things than your depression. And perhaps think about helping those others.
 
  1. Volunteer for something that will cause you to commit to help someone on a regular basis. e.g. local ministries … prison … food banks … meals on wheels … you get the idea.
  2. Learn a new skill for yourself. Can be easy or not so … skiing … motorcycling (just take the course) … creative writing … fly fishing
  3. Read the Gospel every day, or start the Divine Office. You will feel better for sure! (links below on my signature for the latter.
 
Fix something. Look around your house for the little things that annoy you every day and pick one. Go to the hardware store and buy what you need. Come home and do the project. Pat yourself on the back.

Repeat until everything’s fixed.

Betsy
 
Chaz:

I suffered from depression 20+ years before I ever did anything about it. I blame my upbringing…my Mom’s mantra was to “pull yourself up by your bootstraps.” Well, sorry to say, that doesn’t always work. My advice?
  1. See your doctor. Get meds and/or counseling if you need it. If your depression has lingered more than two weeks, you are likely clinically depressed and need this help. There is no shame in feeling better, so don’t believe otherwise.
  2. Learn something new and challenging. Focusing on something new will take the focus away from how you’re feeling. It also will provide you a sense of accomplishment as you master whatever it is your learning. As an example? I taught myself photography during a deep depression. I now have the ability to take very nice photos I would otherwise not have learned to take 🙂
  3. Help someone else. It is true, there really is someone worse off. Assisting someone in need will help you feel valuable and make you realize that you do make contributions that make other people’s lives better.
Please know that I am praying for you. Depression is such a cross to bear and I do know how few people really understand. Hang in there, OK? God Bless!
 
Assuming you’ve had counselling: Do whatever self-check your counsellor has given you, and if you meet the agreed-upon standards, call your counsellor. If not, do what you have worked out with your counsellor that you should do.

Having done that,
  1. Give glory, praise, and thanks to God. Sing it. No matter how low you feel about yourself, God always deserves this, so it is always available. If you have a lousy voice, get in the shower and sing it. I am not kidding, if this is how you respond to the Tormentor, the Tormentor learns to leave you alone. If I only gave one piece of advice, this would be it.
  2. Physically exert yourself enough to get your heart rate is up and you sweat (and not just because its hot outside). This releases endorphins that will improve your mood.
  3. Make yourself do some little thing that you need to do, but that you don’t feel like doing. I don’t know why, but little acts of self-mastery are a good antidote for thoughts of self-accusation. It is kind of like taking it easy on your workout when you’re sore, but not skipping the workout entirely. It keeps you in there.
  4. Do some service work in the company of others who are serving. Avoid doing this with grumblers; seek out cheerful givers, instead, or serve those who will be cheered by your giving.
Your self-care needs to be self-caring. Let the ways you take care of yourself when you are alone give you no reason for self-flaggelation moments later. Do not drink alcohol, eat too much, watch TV, or waste time on whatever you waste time on alone. If you want to do these things, do them in moderation and in a joyful group.

For a long-haul struggle, the Psalms are without parallel. Try the Liturgy of the Hours.
 
PS If you find yourself crying, cry out to God, not to yourself. Tears in prayer are actually a great gift. It is hard to cry to God and hide from God at the same time, I guess. Look through the Psalms; they are full of the crying out of lamentations to God.
 
Just from my own experiense…start praying the Serenity Prayer until you get it , it may take a while, don’t give up on it!

God grant me the
Serenity to accept
things I cannot change;
Courage to change those
things I can and
Wisdom to know the difference.
Amen,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top