Give Them Debt Relief

• Thread starter Thread starter mlchance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlchance

By Michael Coren (8 January 2005)

We’ve all been supremely generous over the suffering in southern Asia and the tsunami tragedy has moved individuals and governments alike. So let’s all go a little further and be just a little more generous. Let’s insist that our governments forgive Third World debt.

Because that’s what it comes down to in the end. We can shed a tear for the human pain and we can do our bit while the emotions roll. But if we seriously want to help, we should cancel – immediately – the so-called loans we have made to the developing world.

I use the term “so-called” because these are not, in the strictest sense, “loans” at all. Most of Asia and Africa was colonized by the Western world, exploited by it, used by it and often abused and even raped by it. We had our way with their natural resources and work forces and, when history dictated an end to empire, we walked away.

Yes, we did sometimes do good in these regions. It’s sheer modernist nonsense to assume that every European or North American was indifferent to the indigenous populations of other countries. Tell that to a young British doctor who spent 20 years in an Indian hill village caring for the sick and the elderly.

The goodness of human nature shone through what was otherwise an inherently base philosophy. That is, the conquest of parts of the world by states that happened to have made more advanced military and technological progress.

A country like Sri Lanka, for example, was never allowed to construct an economy to cater for its own people because everything it did and made was for British imperial success. Along with India and the rest of southern Asia, it was denied democracy and independence and then told, almost overnight, to become liberal and pluralistic. The miracle of the region is how democratic much of it has been able to become.

When Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal and the rest withdrew from direct empire, they began an indirect imperialism through economics and political manipulation. At its best, this was a relatively generous but still controlling paternalism.

At its worst, it concerned the encouragement of internal wars and tribal differences, followed by the selling of arms to the individual warlords and military leaders. Then a refusal to help because, after all, these people only fight among themselves.

Are many countries in the Third World corrupt? Some are, some aren’t. And how dare they be?! How dare they learn from people of a different race who ravaged and beat their countries, and how dare they try to find a way, any way, out of their crippling poverty?

One has to wonder how much corruption and how much chaos there would be in Canada if we lived on subsistence farming and if we saw our children die in our arms of diseases that were routinely cured in other parts of the world.

There is more. Europe and North America lent money to military dictatorships over the years with the absolute knowledge that they were corrupt and would spend the money or arms that they had to purchase from western arms dealers, frequently the friends of major bankers and politicians.

We knew that this money would have to be paid back by the people of these countries, long after the dictators who had borrowed the money in the first place were long gone. Our banks and governments frequently forced Third World states to borrow money, as part of an aid package, even when they were reluctant to do so.

Many nations in the developing world, including those devastated by the tsunami, have paid back their debts already, but are still struggling with the interest on the original amounts. Because of this they cannot build a modern infrastructure, a modern economy, a modern existence.

The cancellation of the billions of dollars of debt load would make very little difference to the West and would barely be noticed by its people. It would, however, lift a moral cloud that has been lowered upon our house.

They owe us nothing. We owe them so very much. I sometimes wonder why they are not more angry at us. And wonder why we are not more angry at ourselves.
– Mark L. Chance.

I have heard over and over Pope John Paul II demand that World Bank and Western nations forgive third world debt to keep the poor from dying. I have heard that Catholics pay less than one percent of their anual income to God when God demands ten percent. Well if the Catholic Church (one billion Catholics) are willing to allow masses of the poor to die, by not paying off third world debt, while they squander 90% of God’s money on themselves, how does the Pope figure this is the world’s wrong doing and not a Catholic Church abomination?

The Catholic Church teaches that anyone, not in the bosom of the Catholic Church, is already going to burn in hell, “No salvation outside the Church”. Jesus says He will burn in hell anyone of His followers in the Church who refuse to care for the poor. Pope John Paul II abandons the poor by not demanding that one billion Catholics pay their God commanded tithe as Jesus wills. Pope John Paul II has remained silent to Jesus command to Catholics to feed the poor for so so long that many ignorant Catholics now automatically, wrongly believe it is the world, not the Church, that is failing Christ when the poor die from lack of charity. These ignorant Catholics wrongly aquse the world of a Catholic attrocity.

I think George Bush and world leaders should point out the evil wickedness of the majority of one billion Catholics who refuse to pay their God commanded tithe to keep the poor from dying. Then at least the Church will have a leader, even if it is world leaders, trying to get Catholics to obey Jesus while the Pope focuses on his world politics. Possibly some Catholics will repent and save some of the lives of the poor by paying their God commanded tithe. Possibly then Jesus will not have to tell such Catholics who repent, **'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels" **

NAB MAT 25:41

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (ISA 58)LUK 16:19 The Rich Man and Lazarus

“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’ Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here,** whereas you are tormented. Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours**.’ He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’ But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’”

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back