P
Pete_1
Guest
In the book of samuel God orders the death of Children:
from the NIV
1 Samuel 15
This is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy a] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’ "
I can understand why God has the right to take away life (even the life of infants) as he is the author of it.
I can also understand why God would punish the warrior class that attacked Israel and the sinners in the city.
However in this passage the impression given is that God is punishing the whole civilisation including the infants and animals with a painfull death.
St Aquinas, if I remember correctly said the infants and the animals were punished because they were the property of those who had attacked Israel (the men). I am looking for an explanation of St. Aquinas’s logic or a more satifactory answer to why the infants were punished.
I don’t believe saying that God killed the infants to spare them a more painfull death (a death of starvation in the desert after the sinners had been killed) is in any way satifactory as God is omnipotent and could have ensured they were never born or had a peacefull death/
In addition I do not believe saying God punished the children because he new they would sin later in life is a satifactory answer because God knew he would punish(kill) them and ensure they would never sin.
Furthermore I do not believe saying that God killed the infants to prevent them from sinning in the future is a satisfactory answer. The passage implies the whole Amalekite civilization (including the infants) is being punished. If God killed the infants to prevent them from sinning in the future this would not be a punishment (as at the time there were no sins to punish) and therefore the painfull death would be unnessecary. God is omnipotent and could have ensured the infants were never born or had a peacefull death.
Does anyone have an answer to this question?
from the NIV
1 Samuel 15
This is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy a] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’ "
I can understand why God has the right to take away life (even the life of infants) as he is the author of it.
I can also understand why God would punish the warrior class that attacked Israel and the sinners in the city.
However in this passage the impression given is that God is punishing the whole civilisation including the infants and animals with a painfull death.
St Aquinas, if I remember correctly said the infants and the animals were punished because they were the property of those who had attacked Israel (the men). I am looking for an explanation of St. Aquinas’s logic or a more satifactory answer to why the infants were punished.
I don’t believe saying that God killed the infants to spare them a more painfull death (a death of starvation in the desert after the sinners had been killed) is in any way satifactory as God is omnipotent and could have ensured they were never born or had a peacefull death/
In addition I do not believe saying God punished the children because he new they would sin later in life is a satifactory answer because God knew he would punish(kill) them and ensure they would never sin.
Furthermore I do not believe saying that God killed the infants to prevent them from sinning in the future is a satisfactory answer. The passage implies the whole Amalekite civilization (including the infants) is being punished. If God killed the infants to prevent them from sinning in the future this would not be a punishment (as at the time there were no sins to punish) and therefore the painfull death would be unnessecary. God is omnipotent and could have ensured the infants were never born or had a peacefull death.
Does anyone have an answer to this question?