God Calling or my own Arrogance?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brian_C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Brian_C:
I am currently attending RCIA. I came to the Church from the Baptist faith after immersing myself in the history of early Christianity and Catholicism and basically just trying to decipher for myself the slander and libel from the truth about Catholic Christianity.

Well, now I am attending the largest parish in my city (because of its proximity and because I have some relatives who attend there). It is still very weird for me the emphasis that the Church palces in certain areas but neglects in others. Education outside of the Mass for one is just something hard for me to adjust to… I just want to note that though I came from a Southern Baptist congregation, no ill will toward Catholics was EVER public expressed in my church. The Episcopal Church was directly across the street, the Methodist-one block down, and each end of the street had a Catholic parish. LOL-it’s Louisiana!

Anyway…my years immersed in Sunday School bible study gave me a pretty good understanding of the bible and Christianity’s underpinnings. With that in mind, I, um, cringe a little when I have heard some of the parishoners attempt to articulate Catholic positions, biblical history, or other such topics. As an example, the Church library-it’s a bit small and doesn’t seem to have much order to it. I just look at it thinking “Man, someone needs to fix this place up! Someone needs to open peoples’ eyes to the wonderful treasury in this room.”

I spend many of my nights reading various authors and I do realize there are many wonderfully well-versed Catholics (as are on this forum) but it just doesn’t seem to be so reflected to me so far in my parish.

Now, perhaps I am being harsh, arrogant, or just have sugar-coated memories of my time conversing w/ my Baptist brethren…I don’t know. But I just feel like there is something I could do to help, to open eyes to the beauty and wonder of the Church. I know there is more to being a good Christian than being able to tell someone what Aquinas said about this and that, but I just feel called to do more. Some of you are probably thinking, “Oh boy, what a nut! This guy’s just in RCIA and he wants to be the bishop!” But I can’t help think about what I can do to give back after I take that first communion
When we converts come into the Church we bring with us the fire of the Holy Spirit who has prompted our conversion. When it comes to projects like organizing the library, well, I think that is divine inspiration, not arrogance. Catholicism holds the fullness of truth, but a lot of Catholics seem to be resting on their reputation or on their security. I think God is sending us so many on-fire converts to rekindle the wet timber in the pews . . .

It is always good to be on the watch for one’s own arrogance, but the genuine fire of God is something we can all use a lot more of – even when it comes in the form of something as prosaic as organizing the books!

LOL, the books were just one example. Anything I could do to help, I would. Yes, I do generally want to be on the watch for pride and arrogance. Especially in light of so many wonderful comments about converts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back