God cannot come on earth as Himself?

  • Thread starter Thread starter littleone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

littleone

Guest
God could not come on earth as He is in heaven (in the spirit) so He had to come to us at our height, right?
Tell me!
 
And yet, :tsktsk: God made us to His likeness… :dancing: …? I don’t look like you or u me!!!:hmmm:
Why then or how then are we to God’s likeness??:rolleyes: or am Imissing a spiritual thought here??:rolleyes:
 
Thanks thisone,
Here is a snippit of what Two saints believe. I tend more towards the way St. Augustine does.

The linked essay makes the following observations:
*“Augustine (354–430) argued that the image of God resides in the rational and spiritual soul (see Demarest, 145–46).”

“Thomas Aquinas said the image consisted of memory, understanding, and will or love.”
“Thomas Aquinas distinguished between image which is the intellectual nature retained after the Fall and likeness which is conferred righteousness lost in the Fall (Demarest, 146).”*
 
Reading this question I am reminded of some tests in CCD.

There were some questions about where is Jesus today and where is God.

The Creed ( which is from what the Apostles believed) says Jesus ascended into Heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father…! In John 14 Jesus saud that He would send a “comforter” ( the Holy Spirit) to us on earth.)

So maybe we shouldn’t look upwards and question God. He knows best don’t you think?
 
I think littleone’s questions are entirely appropriate, Exporter2, if one wants a deeper understanding. It’s just the sort of question that some of the greatest theologians have obviously dealt with themselves.

The more we know, the more there is to enjoy! It’s like holding a puppy in your lap. You don’t just look at him from the front, you turn him and look at him from all sides to better enjoy his cuteness. So, with our faith, we are to enjoy the ability to deepen our understanding by turning things around and perhaps seeing them for the first time. Everyone’s heard that Genesis 1 quote, but those who ponder it are no doubt, in my opinion, blessed and destined to not stop learning.

Also, I see “questioning” has having quite different connotation than “learning.” Someone who doubts is said to be questioning, but learning what scripture is actually saying to us beneath the everyday words we may gloss over without thinking too much about it is, in my opinion, a gift that signals one who is intent to knowing and loving God to the full.
 
I agree with This One 99%. Asking a question asists in learning. But then when it is answered often the answer is not what we like to hear.

First if you are Catholic then you know that God IS A SPIRIT.
If a spirit came to earth we humans could not see it. If you say God isn’t a spirit then you aren’t Catholic. From the teachings of the Trinity we know that Jesus is truly God. We know the Holy Spirit is truly God. We know ( in human words) that God has three personalities and functions but remains as ONE. That is a mystery- right?

So to ask why God didn’t come to earth as God really is is fruitless. God is a spirit and we can’t see spirits. So He came incarnate - as Jesus Christ. God really did come to pay for all of our sins as someone who could walk, talk and suffer for us.

I hope that explains my other comment. But again, I say: Who are we to question God? We are created beings.
Bless You.
 
I agree with This One 99%. Asking a question asists in learning. But then when it is answered often the answer is not what we like to hear.

First if you are Catholic then you know that God IS A SPIRIT.
If a spirit came to earth we humans could not see it. If you say God isn’t a spirit then you aren’t Catholic. From the teachings of the Trinity we know that Jesus is truly God. We know the Holy Spirit is truly God. We know ( in human words) that God has three personalities and functions but remains as ONE. That is a mystery- right?

So to ask why God didn’t come to earth as God really is is fruitless. God is a spirit and we can’t see spirits. So He came incarnate - as Jesus Christ. God really did come to pay for all of our sins as someone who could walk, talk and suffer for us.

I hope that explains my other comment. But again, I say: Who are we to question God? We are created beings.
Bless You.
My friend there is a different point in your suggestion that changes all of what I related to. It is one that is common in mankind to read and write what we think we see but our mind dictates to the heart how we ourselves see of what another relates to.

Look at my wording I wrote CANNOT you related to DID NOT. That is totally different, and I might agree with some of your point, although I don’t agree totally with it because of my own relationship in the spirit. I will not relate here because it would detract from the point in the begining. I will open another thread here though related to what you are pointing out.
God bless you all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top