S
steffenlaursen
Guest
Hello brothers and sisters,
This problem has been really bugging me for a long time, and I haven’t really heard any good explainations, so I thought “Well, I’d bet the Catholics got an answer!” (I’m nominally a Protestant). This forum has earned a lot of respect in my book after I read some debates on Purgatory and stuff, but enough of that for now, let’s get to the point, shall we?
It appears that in the Old Testament God is commanding great slaughters on men, women and children a number of times. While I can understand the need of killing the men (being potential enemy warriors), or even killing both men and women (being heathens and thus a temptation of idolatry), I can not see why it is neccessary to kill babies.
Even if the genocides are punishment, these babies wouldn’t be more sinful than the israeli babies…
I understand, that Augustine saw these genocides as merely allegorical, but it seems a bit far-fetched to me… any alternative views that doesn’t make God a tyrant and an enemy of humanity?
This problem has been really bugging me for a long time, and I haven’t really heard any good explainations, so I thought “Well, I’d bet the Catholics got an answer!” (I’m nominally a Protestant). This forum has earned a lot of respect in my book after I read some debates on Purgatory and stuff, but enough of that for now, let’s get to the point, shall we?
It appears that in the Old Testament God is commanding great slaughters on men, women and children a number of times. While I can understand the need of killing the men (being potential enemy warriors), or even killing both men and women (being heathens and thus a temptation of idolatry), I can not see why it is neccessary to kill babies.
Even if the genocides are punishment, these babies wouldn’t be more sinful than the israeli babies…
I understand, that Augustine saw these genocides as merely allegorical, but it seems a bit far-fetched to me… any alternative views that doesn’t make God a tyrant and an enemy of humanity?
- Steffen