God-parents obligation to pay stipend to priest

  • Thread starter Thread starter James924
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James924

Guest
My mother in law needs to know if they are obligated to pay the stipend to the priest at a baptism? She is the godmother.

Ten minutes to find out…
 
Not that I know of. It usually is the parent’s obligation. It’s their baby being baptized.
 
It all depends on tradition. Where I grew up the godfather was the one who took care of the stipend. My dad had to pay it more times than he cared to think, he was godfather to about 20 kids. But when we were godparents to my godmother’s daughter her husband was very offended at the thought that we would pay the stipend. That wasn’t the tradition where he lived.
 
Stipend for a baptism?

I can understand weddings and funerals, but not baptisms.
 
Stipend for a baptism?

I can understand weddings and funerals, but not baptisms.
Usually if it is in the afternoon on Saturday or Sunday, and not during the normal Mass time. But the parents usually give a thank-you note with $10-20, not the Godparents.
 
My mother in law needs to know if they are obligated to pay the stipend to the priest at a baptism? She is the godmother.

Ten minutes to find out…
there is no obligation, it is a donation, and who pays is a cultural or family custom, not decreed by the church, the parish secretary can tell you the usual amount
 
I never heard of that before. No, as far as I know, it’s the parent’s obligation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top