God really meaning subjector

  • Thread starter Thread starter catholictiger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catholictiger

Guest
alright so I’ve ran into this person who believes that God really means subjector and when you translate the Greek that it means subjector.

note the word he translator to mean subjector is theos

first is this translation correct

if it is not correct what is the translation

if it isn’t correct how would someone get this translation is there multiple meanings for the Greek word that translates to God.

this translation of God is kinda the grounds for a crazy argument he has which I don’t want to explain here cause I want this thread to be about his translation not his argument.

thanks for any help
 
I don’t know, the following connection might be a stretch…
just trying to figure where this idea might have come from.

τίθημι / tithemi - to place or to put

Rom 9.33
as it is written, “Behold,
I lay (τίθημι-place/put) in Zion a stumblingstone
and a rock of offence: and he that believeth on him shall not be put to shame.”

τίθημι / tithemi - can also mean ‘to put in subjection’ eg,

Matt 22.44
'The LORD said unto my Lord,“Sit thou at my right hand,
until I put (θῶ -put in subjection) thine enemies underneath thy feet”

see how θῶ/tho looks similar to the stem for God θε/the

the **stem **of the verb τίθημι is θε/the
the **stem **of the noun God/theos (thee, thew, theoi, theon) is also θε/the.
BUT just because they share the same stem doesn’t mean they are the same word. In the case of ‘to put/place’ if you build on the stem for the present tense you have to reduplicate the initial consonant which you don’t have to do with ‘God/theos’ because it’s a noun not a verb, nouns don’t have tense.

🤷
 
I don’t know, the following connection might be a stretch…
just trying to figure where this idea might have come from.

τίθημι / tithemi - to place or to put

Rom 9.33
as it is written, “Behold,
I lay (τίθημι-place/put) in Zion a stumblingstone
and a rock of offence: and he that believeth on him shall not be put to shame.”

τίθημι / tithemi - can also mean ‘to put in subjection’ eg,

Matt 22.44
'The LORD said unto my Lord,“Sit thou at my right hand,
until I put (θῶ -put in subjection) thine enemies underneath thy feet”

see how θῶ/tho looks similar to the stem for God θε/the

the **stem **of the verb τίθημι is θε/the
the **stem **of the noun God/theos (thee, thew, theoi, theon) is also θε/the.
BUT just because they share the same stem doesn’t mean they are the same word. In the case of ‘to put/place’ if you build on the stem for the present tense you have to reduplicate the initial consonant which you don’t have to do with ‘God/theos’ because it’s a noun not a verb, nouns don’t have tense.

🤷
so pretty much it probably doesn’t mean this and to claim this would be a strech

Note: I don’t hold the position that it means this.
 
thanks i’m going to try to get the guy to explain his translation of this word but he seemed to ignore me on the message board when I brought it up.

where did you knowledge of Greek come from you seem very well educated on this language
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top