Godfather to a Lutheran

• Thread starter Thread starter mattsmig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattsmig

Please help me. I am the godfather to a Lutheran child. I went to Confession before the baptism asking permission because I was not sure if it was licit or not (I received contradictory information). The priest told me it was fine. During the baptismal rite, The congregation said the creed and I said “One Holy Catholic and Apostolic” vs. “Christian”. I also told the parents that I could not in good conscience raise the child Lutheran if something happened. They said that was fine with them.

Recently, I have felt a sense of guilt over this decision. My question is what do I do now? How do I treat this situation? I am Catholic and feel that this is the True Church. What is my obligation?

Thanks
Matt

40.png
mattsmig:
I also told the parents that I could not in good conscience raise the child Lutheran if something happened … What is my obligation?
Matt,
1- If you said you couldn’t raise the child Lutheran if need be, then there is no point being Godfather, (and no point for the parents to choose you).
2-Your obligation: I would say you can not hold yourself obliged to your duties as a Godfather, you would be obliged to NOT hold to the duties - for a Lutheran.

I’d say- find a good priest and talk it over, either in confession or not.

Hey, you really want to do the right thing? Then you be the best Catholic you can be! Don’t apologize for the church like some people do… Stand tall, be one of those shinning examples for your Godchild… 👍

Your job as a godparent is to be a good Christian witness to this child, and you can still do this as a Catholic witnessing to a Lutheran.
I am also a godparent to a child baptized as a Lutheran. His father is Catholic (for now) and his mother is Lutheran. He is still an infant, but I expect that we will have to know both faiths to some extent. Not so that we can teach him Lutheranism, but so that we can be a witness to him in a way that does not confuse him. For example, at the time of his first communion, we will need to speak in a very clear way about the Real Presence, making clear distinctions between their understanding and our understanding. We cannot teach him what we don’t believe, but there is a lot of common ground between Catholics and Lutherans and that is all very fertile soil for you to be a beneficial influence in his life.
When he is at a certain maturity, you will be able to talk to him about specific differences (priesthood, Tradition, confession, Trans/consubstantiation etc), but for most of his childhood it is much more important for a child to have a (non-parental) influence that reinforces his parent’s values.
Not as easy as having a Catholic godchild, but maybe he will see your witness and want to have all 7 Sacraments like you can enjoy! 🙂

Oh for goodness sakes,

I would watch over a Muslim, a Jewish, a Buddhist, or any other child. If their parents died I would definitely raise the child Christian.

The Catholic Church is excellent about going into other countries with other religious beliefs and helping feed and cloth their children… because we all know that they are the children of God and such is the kingdom of heaven.

Since this is such an important issue to you, do not throw away your opportunity to teach the child about the Catholic Church. Without you his chances of finding out about the Church are much lessened.

space ghost:
Hey, you really want to do the right thing? Then you be the best Catholic you can be! Don’t apologize for the church like some people do… Stand tall, be one of those shinning examples for your Godchild… 👍
:amen:
You should just raise the baby for the Catholic Faith. I mean you have a responsibility to the child. Don’t lead the child into falsehoods lead him to the Truth. I know the child’s parents are Lutheren(sp) that doesn’t mean that you can’t teach their child Catholicism. Now, I don’t recommend that you come out and say to your Godchild that the Catholic church is the One True Church. When the child is old enough to decide for himself what church he wants to go to hopefully he will choose the Catholic Church. The only chance of that happening is you. You have to be a SHINING example to this child of the Catholic Faith.

Hey Matt,
I to am a Catholic and I beleive I am going to be asked to be the God Parent of my sister and het husbands new baby, the baby will have a baptism in the Episcopal Church, and I am REALLY struggling with this and cannot find solid Catholic teaching on if I am allowed to be the God parent to this baby… I know the parents know that God forbid that I become the guardian of this child I would bring him into the Church with my family… so I pray for you also and I ask that anyone with more info let us know.

Matt, since your godchild was properly baptized with water in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, whether the child or his parents know it or not: he is a true member of the Catholic Church. He won’t become Lutheran until he receives confirmation in that church. So, for now, anyway…everything is fine! 🙂

1- If you said you couldn’t raise the child Lutheran if need be, then there is no point being Godfather, (and no point for the parents to choose you).
2-Your obligation: I would say you can not hold yourself obliged to your duties as a Godfather, you would be obliged to NOT hold to the duties - for a Lutheran.
My own :twocents:

I think the problem here is that we are looking at godparenting from a Catholic perspective, rather than a Protestant one. The Catholic Church has official rules and regulations for Baptismal Sponsors. A Catholic cannot ask a non-Catholic to be a godparent because the requirement of baptismal sponsorship is that the sponsor be an example of our Faith. I don’t imagine this is the same in Protestant faith communities, as many of them consider one brand of Christianity to be as good as another. The fact that the parents of the child don’t mind if it is raised in another Christian faith shows how different their understanding is. If they chose you to be a godparent because they believe you would set a good example for how to be a Christian, then I think they chose well. A practicing, believing Catholic is about the best example the child could have, in my opinion.

Your job as Godparent is to instruct the child in the Truth and be a Christian witness… As long as the parents understand you are Catholic and will instruct the child Catholic (if a situation should arise), should make this situation a great way to evangelize.
Hey St. Paul said to the Jews I became a Jew so that he might save some of them. Why not use the same logic here?😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back