Godparent Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lerin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lerin

Guest
I have been asked, along with my husband, to godparent the twin boys of a friend. They are six months old. We both have agreed to accept the responsibility.

Here’s the rub: We are both converts as adults, and neither of us grew up in “Catholic culture,” if that makes sense. 🙂 We both want to be amazing godparents, and I was hoping that I could find ideas and insights here, to go above & beyond in these boys’ faith lives.

I would appreciate any suggestions of things your godparents did, that made an impact on you… any traditions… etc.

Thank you so much!
 
There is a diverse amount of things a grandparent may do. I will share my experience, and suggestions!

I grew up Catholic in a Catholic family back for generations. My godparents were my aunt/uncle; aside from knowing they were my godparents, there was no other involvement.

One tradition I really like that a friend practices (his Godkids), is to send them a little religious gift on their BAPTISMAL day every year. Something like a book of a saint, a little Noah’s ark, a prayer card that’s an easy prayer at that age, a mass intention, a neat statue…etc. Just something that ties back to the Church!
 
My Godfather always remembered all the days of celebration (birthdays, Christmas etc). Since he was an uncle, I received a gift from him. Since he was also my Godfather, I received a “religious” gift as well. Usually something simple: prayer book, missal, etc. He was a better Godfather than I have ever been.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top