Godparent

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuck74
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chuck74

Guest
I have a question about Godparents…we are having my daughter’s Christening this SUnday and the GodMother we choose is Russian Orthodox. Does that mean she can not be the God Mother? We are Byzantine Catholics and my priest said she can not be the God Mother?
 
One must be a Catholic to be a sponsor (godparent). A person who is Russian Orthodox can be a Christian witness together with a Catholic who is acting as sponsor.

However, it *seems *Canon Law applicable to the Byzantine Rite (I am no expert on Eastern Rite canon law, I merely looked it up) does allow for an Eastern non-Catholic (I suppose this means Orthodox) to be a sponsor *with *a Catholic for a just cause. I suppose the priest determines “just cause.”

intratext.com/IXT/ENG1199/_PJ1.HTM

You should follow the directive of your priest.
 
I was quite sure that I had read only yesterday that a member of an Orthodox church could act as Godparent. However, I cannot find where I read it, so perhaps I’m mixing it up with something else…

Canon Law does appear to support your priest’s stance: [Canon 872 - 874]

"CHAPTER IV.

SPONSORS

Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.

Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism."
 
I was quite sure that I had read only yesterday that a member of an Orthodox church could act as Godparent. However, I cannot find where I read it, so perhaps I’m mixing it up with something else…

Canon Law does appear to support your priest’s stance: [Canon 872 - 874]

"CHAPTER IV.

SPONSORS

Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.

Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism."
Your looking at the wrong code of Canon Law.
 
Your looking at the wrong code of Canon Law.
Sincere apologies. Thanks for correcting me - I overlooked the O.P. having mentioned that they are Byzantine Catholics. Obviously, disregard what I had posted - I was to late to edit it.

I would agree with 1ke, though, that you should follow what your priest is telling you on the matter - he mustn’t think that there is a “just cause” for choosing a Russian Orthodox lady as Godmother. Unless there are any further impediments other than the “just cause” one of Can.685.
 
I was quite sure that I had read only yesterday that a member of an Orthodox church could act as Godparent. However, I cannot find where I read it, so perhaps I’m mixing it up with something else…

Canon Law does appear to support your priest’s stance: [Canon 872 - 874]

"CHAPTER IV.

SPONSORS

Can. 872 Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.

Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

…

§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism."
Canon 874.2 doesn’t apply because it refers specifically to “non-Catholic ecclesial community.” Ecclesial community doesn’t refer to the Russian Orthodox Church.

See the Eastern Code

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_jp-ii_apc_19901018_codex-can-eccl-orient-2_lt.html

685 § 3. Iusta de causa licet admittere christifidelem alicuius Ecclesiae orientalis acatholicae ad munus patrini, sed semper simul cum patrino catholico.

My own translation: For a just cause, it is licit to admit someone (who is a) Christian of a non-Catholic Eastern Church to the office of Godparent (literally “little parent”) but always together with a Catholic Godparent.

That’s what the canon itself says. I’m only posting that for information, not to dispute the decision of the pastor here.

PS: I noticed too late that 1ke already posted the link, but here’s the text anyway.
 
Thank you all for your quick reponses. So does that mean if the GodFather is Catholic, which in the case he is, Then the GodMother can be Russian Orthodox?
 
Thank you all for your quick reponses. So does that mean if the GodFather is Catholic, which in the case he is, Then the GodMother can be Russian Orthodox?
It seems to me that the obstacle is the “just cause” mentioned in Can.685. I don’t know about your situation, but your priest mustn’t think there’s a just cause! The previous canon, 684 only says that there must be at leastone sponsor - so perhaps the priest’s reasoning is that if the second person you wish to have as sponsor is not a Catholic, and the child is not bound to have more than one sponsor anyway, there is no just cause for having a second sponsor at all?
 
Thank you all for your quick reponses. So does that mean if the GodFather is Catholic, which in the case he is, Then the GodMother can be Russian Orthodox?
That’s what the code says (and readers, please remember this is the Eastern code, the Western code doesn’t apply here). Note, though, that it says it’s licit (it’s legal, it’s permitted), which does not necessarily mean that the pastor must do so–he still has to determine if there is a “just cause.” Also note that while the Catholic canons are quite generous in permitting Catholic ministers in allowing Orthodox faithful to participate in the Sacraments (in various ways), the Orthodox persons are also bound by their own canon laws, which are more strict.
 
I have a question about Godparents…we are having my daughter’s Christening this SUnday and the GodMother we choose is Russian Orthodox. Does that mean she can not be the God Mother? We are Byzantine Catholics and my priest said she can not be the God Mother?
Christians do NOT “christen” but baptize.
 
One must be a Catholic to be a sponsor (godparent). A person who is Russian Orthodox can be a Christian witness together with a Catholic who is acting as sponsor.

However, it *seems *Canon Law applicable to the Byzantine Rite (I am no expert on Eastern Rite canon law, I merely looked it up) does allow for an Eastern non-Catholic (I suppose this means Orthodox) to be a sponsor *with *a Catholic for a just cause. I suppose the priest determines “just cause.”
A Byzantine Catholic is in *full communion *with Rome. Although the eastern orthodox churches also use a byzantine rite (among others), they are still separated from the Catholic Church.The priest is correct in telling the family that a Russian orthodox cannot be a godparent.But you are correct in that a person who is Russian orthodox can be a Christian witness *together with *a Catholic who is acting as sponsor.
 
A Byzantine Catholic is in *full communion *with Rome. Although the eastern orthodox churches also use a byzantine rite (among others), they are still separated from the Catholic Church.The priest is correct in telling the family that a Russian orthodox cannot be a godparent.But you are correct in that a person who is Russian orthodox can be a Christian witness *together with *a Catholic who is acting as sponsor.
That’s not what the canon law says. The Latin code says that, but that code doesn’t apply here. The Eastern Code says that an Orthodox Christian (such as a Russian Orthodox, from the original post) can indeed be a Godparent along with a Catholic Godparent–and that code is the one which applies because the parents are Eastern Catholic.

See the Eastern code, canon 685, which has been quoted here a few times,
not the Western code, canon 872–also quoted but not applicable.
 
That’s not what the canon law says. The Latin code says that, but that code doesn’t apply here. The Eastern Code says that an Orthodox Christian (such as a Russian Orthodox, from the original post) can indeed be a Godparent along with a Catholic Godparent–and that code is the one which applies because the parents are Eastern Catholic.

See the Eastern code, canon 685, which has been quoted here a few times,
not the Western code, canon 872–also quoted but not applicable.
I will take your word for it.
But I found this, Canon 685, 1990 Code of Canon Law on the Oriental (eastern) Churches:

Canon 685 - §1. For a person to fulfill validly the role of a sponsor it is necessary that he or she:
1° be initiated with the three sacraments of baptism, chrismation with holy myron and the Eucharist;
2° belong to the Catholic Church, with due regard for 3;
3° have the intention of carrying out the responsibility of sponsor;
4° be designated by the person to be baptized or the parents or guardians, or, if there are not any, by the minister;
5° not be a father, mother or spouse of the person to be baptized;
6° not be bound by excommunication, even a minor one, suspension, deposition or deprived of the right of acting in the function of a sponsor.
§2. To assume licitly the role of sponsor, in addition to what is required, the sponsor should be of the age required by particular law and lead a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken.
§3. For a just cause, it is permitted to admit the Christian faithful of another Eastern non-Catholic Church to the function of a sponsor, but always at the same time with a Catholic sponsor.

So, you are correct. But I doubt that a Catholic can be a sponsor in an eastern orthodox church. Is this correct?
 
I will take your word for it.
But I found this, Canon 685, 1990 Code of Canon Law on the Oriental (eastern) Churches:

Canon 685 - §1. For a person to fulfill validly the role of a sponsor it is necessary that he or she:
1° be initiated with the three sacraments of baptism, chrismation with holy myron and the Eucharist;
2° belong to the Catholic Church, with due regard for 3;
3° have the intention of carrying out the responsibility of sponsor;
4° be designated by the person to be baptized or the parents or guardians, or, if there are not any, by the minister;
5° not be a father, mother or spouse of the person to be baptized;
6° not be bound by excommunication, even a minor one, suspension, deposition or deprived of the right of acting in the function of a sponsor.
§2. To assume licitly the role of sponsor, in addition to what is required, the sponsor should be of the age required by particular law and lead a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken.
§3. For a just cause, it is permitted to admit the Christian faithful of another Eastern non-Catholic Church to the function of a sponsor, but always at the same time with a Catholic sponsor.

So, you are correct. But I doubt that a Catholic can be a sponsor in an eastern orthodox church. Is this correct?
Peary,
Yes, this time you’re looking at the right code.

See the Principles and Norms on Ecumenism from the Vatican

#98
A Catholic is not forbidden to stand as godparent in an Eastern Orthodox Church, if heshe is so invited. In this case, the duty of providing for the Chris- tian education binds in the first place the godparent who belongs to the Church in which the child is baptized.
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/general-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19930325_directory_en.html

A Catholic is permitted to be a Godparent to an Orthodox person (interrestingly, the phrase is “not forbidden” which is very slightly different from saying “permitted”), from the Catholic perspective, but the Orthodox Church (or diocese, or parish) might not allow this. This sort of thing gets a bit tricky.

The Eastern Code itself does not directly say this, neither does it forbid it, therefore we have to look at the other documents from the Vatican–and in this case, the Directory I’ve cited above would the the appropriate source.

Also, Eastern vocabulary doesn’t use “sponsor” but “Godparent” the two words mean the same thing, but in the Latin (ie Western) code, the word is “sponsi” meaning sponsor, while the Eastern code (also in the Latin language) uses the word “patrini” meaning literally “little parent” but in English we say “Godparent”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top