Godparents

  • Thread starter Thread starter DBDGuerrero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DBDGuerrero

Guest
Me and my husband have been together for over 4 years, married for 1 1/2 yrs. We were married through the court, but never through the church. I just read up more on Convalidation through the church and it sounds perfect for us. I am curious, if we go through with this, would this make us eligible to become godparents? We have been asked by multiple people and have had to turn them down since our marriage is not recognized by the church. :confused:
 
I’m delighted for you both that you intend to seek to make your marriage a Sacrament,
and yes, you can certainly then be godparents to the children of other Catholics. 🙂
May God bless you both.
 
Yeah, true marriage is actually a Sacrament, it’s something holy and not just an arrangement between a man and a woman recognized by society and the government, and Sacraments can only be administrated by proper ministers of the Catholic Church.

I’m happy to hear you are getting married inside the Church! Congrats!
 
Nice to hear that you are getting married in the Church!

I really don’t think you have to be married (whether in the Church or not at all) to be godparents. A friend of mine is the godmother for her youngest sibling and her godfather is a priest-friend of the family.
 
Me and my husband have been together for over 4 years, married for 1 1/2 yrs. We were married through the court, but never through the church. I just read up more on Convalidation through the church and it sounds perfect for us. I am curious, if we go through with this, would this make us eligible to become godparents?
Yes, and so much more. Ask your priest about Convalidation today!

Additional side effects may include - but aren’t limited to - having a valid sacramental marriage, ability to participate in the sacraments, and the certain knowledge that your marriage is right in the eyes of God. Do not attempt while operating heavy machinery.

Also, welcome to CAF.
 
Nice to hear that you are getting married in the Church!

I really don’t think you have to be married (whether in the Church or not at all) to be godparents. A friend of mine is the godmother for her youngest sibling and her godfather is a priest-friend of the family.
Actually, only one godparent is required, but most people choose two. The one godparent needs to be a practicing Catholic. This has been a requirement for many years now, as many people were choosing their friends who were not Catholic.
 
I’m new to this but when talking to a priest I came under the impression (no exact quotes…) that for a child to be baptized it would be good to identify 2 godparents: one a man and the other a woman, and both practicing Catholics (which I interpret as someone who is not in persistent unconfessed mortal sin, e.g. not attending mass etc.).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top