V
vtech2009
Guest
Hi guys,
So the short version question, how is God’s will and free will balanced, if we truly desire God and God’s will?
The longer version will start with a joke, I am sure you might have heard it. There is a flood, and a devout catholic is on the roof waiting for God to save him. He prays. A boat comes, asks him to hop on, but he says, no it’s ok, God will save me. Rinse and repeat 3 times. He finally dies, meets God in heaven, and ask why he wasn’t saved, and God responded, “well, I sent you three boats!!”.
The more fundamental question is, how much can be attributed to faith in God, and God’s will, and how much by our own action? On one hand, we are to resist sin, but on the other, without God’s grace we are not able to accomplish anything. So how do we balance that? So that we give enough faith to God, but yet, also try to accomplish this on our own?
My situation is that if I try to accomplish something alone in my own hands, I will likely fail, because God’s grace is required. However, If I put all my faith on God, won’t there be an argument that I need to put effort into it, not just sit around and put my faith in God?
Or put it differently. I am a slave to sin. I cannot release myself from this chain without God and God’s Grace. So I need to put faith in God and ask for the holy spirit. But when I go to confession, I must regret my sins, and try harder - some focus is on me. So where is the balance between me and my actions vs. God and God’s grace?
This is my dilemma. Not sure if my ramble is understood. Please comment.
So the short version question, how is God’s will and free will balanced, if we truly desire God and God’s will?
The longer version will start with a joke, I am sure you might have heard it. There is a flood, and a devout catholic is on the roof waiting for God to save him. He prays. A boat comes, asks him to hop on, but he says, no it’s ok, God will save me. Rinse and repeat 3 times. He finally dies, meets God in heaven, and ask why he wasn’t saved, and God responded, “well, I sent you three boats!!”.
The more fundamental question is, how much can be attributed to faith in God, and God’s will, and how much by our own action? On one hand, we are to resist sin, but on the other, without God’s grace we are not able to accomplish anything. So how do we balance that? So that we give enough faith to God, but yet, also try to accomplish this on our own?
My situation is that if I try to accomplish something alone in my own hands, I will likely fail, because God’s grace is required. However, If I put all my faith on God, won’t there be an argument that I need to put effort into it, not just sit around and put my faith in God?
Or put it differently. I am a slave to sin. I cannot release myself from this chain without God and God’s Grace. So I need to put faith in God and ask for the holy spirit. But when I go to confession, I must regret my sins, and try harder - some focus is on me. So where is the balance between me and my actions vs. God and God’s grace?
This is my dilemma. Not sure if my ramble is understood. Please comment.