Going to confession everyday!

  • Thread starter Thread starter WesleyF
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WesleyF

Guest
I heard that some saints went for confession everyday! Whoa, what sins could they possibly be commiting?
 
I heard that some saints went for confession everyday! Whoa, what sins could they possibly be commiting?
They could be falling into things like sloth, pride, attatchment to something worldly. I don’t really know. Maybe they didn’t prefer someone they were supposed to or something. It really isn’t our business, but we do know that they were holier because of it. We commit sins every day that we don’t really think about because God shows us the big stuff first so we can get rid of it. Then, as we get holier, He starts to reveal smaller things we didn’t notice in ourselves before.
 
I heard that some saints went for confession everyday! Whoa, what sins could they possibly be commiting?
It seems as if the saints need not be active sinners - that is, going out and committing gravely disordered acts - in order to feel compelled to make it everyday to the confessional, often prior to Mass. St. Gemma went to confession frequently. I don’t know if it was everyday, though I seem to recall that she tried to make it a habit of going to confession prior to Mass – and she attended Mass every day. Her spiritual director, the Venerable Father Germano Stanislaus, who authored her biography, and who was an expert in mystical theology, was convinced that Gemma, in all likelihood never committed a sin in her lifetime. What was Gemma going to confession for? Perhaps it was for her sinful nature, perhaps it was the strong recognition of concupiscence within her, perhaps it was for past venial sins which she continually felt contrition for, who knows. I think what actually happened is what I’ve seen happen in my own parish. I’ve observed a few people walk into the chapel where I attend on some weekdays, go right up to the priest while he’s preparing in the sacristy, say, “Father, I’m sorry for all of my sins,” and receive absolution right there on the spot. True contrition and absolution are the only necessary things required for a valid confession, I believe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top