Going to Mass in Paris need some information

  • Thread starter Thread starter DonnaNoble
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you thought of the basilica of Sacre Coeur on the top of Monmartre ?
This, a thousand times this. You walk in to find the Blessed Sacrament gazing right at you (“perpetual” Adoration for more than 125 years, interrupted only for liturgy).

Afterwards, you walk out and all of Paris is at your feet. Breathtaking view.
 
This, a thousand times this. You walk in to find the Blessed Sacrament gazing right at you (“perpetual” Adoration for more than 125 years, interrupted only for liturgy).

Afterwards, you walk out and all of Paris is at your feet. Breathtaking view.
Agreed. Definitely one of the highlights to my trip in Paris!

Notre Dame is very touristy, but from my experience, the ushers and security there do a pretty good job in making sure that everyone is respectful of the sacred space. I was there last year and as other people have said, if you tell one of the security guards that you are there for Mass, they will get you to where you need to be right away.
Though touristy, I loved the experience of being at Mass with people from all around the world, from all different walks of life. It really reminded me of the universality of our church and also how God reaches out to all of us. It amazes me how many people though not there to worship, take some kind of interest in the the Church and were drawn to visit. They may be there just for tourism, but perhaps without expecting it, they will have an encounter with God.
 
Yes and Monmartre has a large art colony of artists working out doors.

I believe it’s the highest place on land in Paris and the place where many photographs of Paris are taken.

You do have to buy a ticket to go up the elevator, which is well worth it. 😃

Jim
 
You do have to buy a ticket to go up the elevator, which is well worth it. 😃
Agreed that it’s worth it, but taking the funicular isn’t the only way to get up the hill to Sacré-Cœur. There are at least three staircases, of which I have climbed two. Physical, but free 😉
 
Last edited:
Yeah you can walk up.

I guess the guide of my tour knew better than to ask us to walk up and she got us the tickets.

JIm
 
I would expect tour groups to take the funicular. :+1:t3:

Unless it was a group of mountain climbers or experienced trekkers. 😁
 
The mistake I made when visiting Montmartre was that I thought that in order to buy a painting, I needed cash. This was back in 1998 before the Euro.

Anyway, when the guide asked if we liked the art we saw, I said yes and would’ve love to have bought a painting, but didn’t have enough cash.

She said, "oh, you could’ve used your credit card. Most of the artists take credit cards.’ 😃

One painting was a 3D image of the Crucifixion, all done with paint.

Jim
 
Thanks! I could not find that old thread. I wasn’t sure if I already asked about kneeling (and was answered and missed the answer) or not.

And thank you for the additional information. I relayed the information in this thread to my mom and we talked about it again and we now may go to Notre Dame like we originally planned. The idea is to go to Vigil Mass on Saturday and go out to a nice dinner afterwards.

Thank you for the word for Mass in French. I was so worried I would accidentally say “mass” as in volume times density instead of “Mass.” haha

I can say one sentence in French. It’s much, much easier for me to read French and understand what’s being said to me than it is for me to speak it. But I can muster one sentence at time.

We won’t be taking any long staircases anywhere. My mom can walk, but we are bringing a wheelchair for me to push on this trip. She has such bad arthritis in her legs and spine that walking a long time becomes very painful. And she has a very hard time with steps and inclines. I figure I can just push her around for longer distances but then she can get out of the chair and walk inside buildings which are pretty flat. She can handle a few steps at a time, here and there.
 
We won’t be taking any long staircases anywhere. My mom can walk, but we are bringing a wheelchair for me to push on this trip.
If your mother is going to be using a wheelchair, definitely bone up on accessibility in Paris. It’s not like the US although it’s getting better. Most of the metro doesn’t accommodate wheelchairs and many of the metro stops don’t have escalators or elevators, stairs only. Only line 14 is accessible for those in wheelchairs.

Also, Paris is not flat. There are some parts of it that are relatively flat, but many of the streets are up and down inclines. Pushing a wheelchair may not be as easy as you anticipate, depending on your own physical condition (speaking from experience when my husband had to push me in a wheelchair after I broke my ankle in Italy. He is in extremely good physical condition and it was no picnic).

So be prepared to use taxis for transportation for any distance.

https://en.parisinfo.com/practical-paris/visiting-paris-with-a-disability
 
Last edited:
I second what @1ke said. Note also that many sidewalks in Paris, particularly in those picturesque, historic areas, aren’t wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.
 
I’d probably be fine with the French prayers and hymns, as long as they were printed. I’d go for the Rosary, too, since I already pray it in French (haven’t memorized the Apostle’s Creed or the Salve Regina yet).
But I would seek out a TLM too, myself. Except for the homily, always the same. Have Missal, will travel.
 
Last edited:
Yes, that certainly puts the area around St Germain-de-Pres where @DonnaNoble indicated they were staying in a new light. All those streets in the 5e and 6e arrondissements are like that-- very cramped, cobblestone streets in many cases, and sidewalks narrow and cluttered with café tables/chairs, kiosks and whatnot, and throngs of people.

We stay in the 5e when we go to Paris.

Don’t want to be discouraging. It is certainly possible to travel in Paris with disabilities. It just requires extra planning, and possibly some extra expense of taxis. And, knowing which monuments are and aren’t accessible.
 
Last edited:
No electric guitars???!
Shows that the EF can be done with great reverence, though.
 
Last edited:
Sacred Couer is stunning
And one of only very few high vista vantage points in all of Paris, including the Tour Montparnasse, La Defense, and that other one…
 
Last edited:
❤️

We always stay at Hotel du Levant which is on Rue de la Harpe right off Place St Michel.

Love that whole area near Musee Cluny, St Severin, etc.
 
Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. And thanks for this feedback 1ke.

We are only going to be in Paris for two days, so maybe we can ditch the wheelchair and take taxis. We can play it by ear.

Most of our trip (the first 7 days) is in London. From there I have both private and coach tours planned from Victoria Station to nearby areas and we are touring and visiting London itself. This trip originally was supposed to be a trip to Southern England but my mom and daughter begged that we go to Paris because “it’s so close.” This is probably one of the last trips like this that my mom will be able to do, so I figured, “why not.”

In Paris we half a private half-day tour of Versailles (with a nice dinner in the evening). And we are taking a boat tour the other day, maybe a Taxi ride to the Eiffel Tower, and Mass (and another nice bistro dinner). The next day we fly home.

I don’t know how or when we will use the wheel chair. Although we’ll use it in the airport for certain. We are flying out near where I live and the airport is big with a lot of walking. Last time we flew out of there on a “girls trip” mom had a hard time. I figure it will also come in handy walking around London. I thought so with Paris too, but we might have to walk some of those cobblestone streets. Pictures of our hotel seems to show pretty flat sidewalks. If we decide to go down cobblestone, we can fold and I can carry the wheel chair (it’s only 25 pounds, I already know I can carry 35 pounds with one hand pretty easily). Of course, I could just push it empty too.

I hope I am fit enough to push it with her in it. I workout every day (stair-master 40 minutes, 5 times a week) and walk my dog 3 miles a day. But I am sure pushing a chair uses different muscles. I plan to visit my mom this holiday weekend and try the chair out around her area.
 
Good advice.

The hotel we stayed at in Paris, the elevator was so small, a person in a wheelchair would not have been able to fit.

As it was, the bellhop took us up to our rooms, then went and got the luggage because he couldn’t fit both in the elevator.

Also, one couple who was with us, couldn’t fit their luggage into their rooms. They demanded another room and got it, but only after our guide threatened them. FYI, the hotel was owned and operated by Middle Easterners, not French people, who are often falsely accused of being rude.

Jim
 
Last edited:
Back in the day, when I started staying there (circa 1995) when it was a little 2 star with no AC, and super cheap prices… yes. but I was young.

But they’ve upgraded substantially since then and that includes very nice soundproof windows that can stay closed at night because they have climate control in the rooms now.

I’m just sentimental-- I’ve stayed there a bunch and the staff is so nice and helpful, the location so convenient, it includes a nice breakfast and has a mix of tourist but also business type travelers… they’ve done some nice things for me like helping me set up a birthday party for my mother at a nearby restaurant complete with birthday cake… I’m loyal I guess. I’ve never had any problems there, and always a good stay.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top