Going to Mass Sick

  • Thread starter Thread starter GoneAstray
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GoneAstray

Guest
Ok, last Sunday when I went to Mass, virtually everyone there was sneezing and coughing. Since this URI is pretty wide spread, I brought pocket size hand sanitizer which I discretely used often. I thought these people could have just stayed home.

Yesterday, I got it too. It’s not a really, really bad virus. Just a mild head cold. But given my reservations about people going to church where you are shoulder to shoulder in an enclosed space and shake hands and spread the virus, I am wondering if I should go today.

It’s not like I’m too sick to go. I will go to the grocery store and carry a bleach wipe to sanitize what I touch. But you’re not in close quarters coughing and sneezing on people in a grocery store.

So what do people think? Should I spread the joy or not?
 
Personally, when I am sick I tend to try and go unless I am too ill. Once I did miss mass even though I was healthy enough to go because it was in the middle of the panic about swine flu and even though I just had a standard cold I didn’t want to make people worry even more.

I think as long as you are sensible, ie. keep your hands clean, cough or sneeze into a tissue, etc., there is no real reason to miss mass.
 
I will go to the grocery store first and see how I feel. I just took my temp and I have a low grade fever consistent with a head cold.

I worked many years in home health and perhaps I am too conscientious about not making elderly people sick but when I absolutely had to make a visit when I was sick, I wore gloves and a face mask. I stayed as brief a time as possible, sprayed everything I came near with Lysol and changed gloves and washed my hands frequently. I never made anyone sick.

However, I don’t think I can go to Mass like that. And most of the congregation is older. It is one thing for a young healthy person to get a head cold and another for somebody in their 80’s.

I think if I sit in the very back, refuse to hold or shake hands then it might be OK. People do understand that you’re sick and don’t want to spread it. Thanks for answering.
 
I will go to the grocery store first and see how I feel. I just took my temp and I have a low grade fever consistent with a head cold.

I worked many years in home health and perhaps I am too conscientious about not making elderly people sick but when I absolutely had to make a visit when I was sick, I wore gloves and a face mask. I stayed as brief a time as possible, sprayed everything I came near with Lysol and changed gloves and washed my hands frequently. I never made anyone sick.

However, I don’t think I can go to Mass like that. And most of the congregation is older. It is one thing for a young healthy person to get a head cold and another for somebody in their 80’s.

I think if I sit in the very back, refuse to hold or shake hands then it might be OK. People do understand that you’re sick and don’t want to spread it. Thanks for answering.
You’re a good person.

I work in the microbiology department of a large hospital lab. Last week, we set records for flu testing and Strep A (strep throat) testing. It was wild. And it will probably continue through this week at least.

What it means is that many many people in our city are sick.

I wish the mayor would shut down the city, including the churches. People seem to have no common sense. They just keep going. Even people I work with are dragging themselves into work sick, and the manager PRAISES THEM for their “work ethic.” I find this very discouraging. It’s so wrong. If these same people brought a loaded gun to work and pointed it at people, they would be carted off to jail.

It’s true that certain population groups are at high-risk for developing complications and dying if they acquire one of the viruses that makes the rest of us merely a little feverish and sniffly. We’ve seen this happen this week. People with HIV or others who are immuno-compromised (especially cancer), the elderly, babies (especially those whose parents have refused to allow them to be vaccinated), people with cancer, even people with Down’s Syndrome, are more at risk. We need to think about these people and try to protect them.

Also there are single parents who cannot afford to get sick because they can’t miss work. These people have no choice but to drag themselves to work if they get sick, and if they get a severe illness, they could possible find themselves unemployed and impoverished. Again, we have to protect these people.

I personally think that those who are sick cause others who are NOT sick to possibly sin, because these people at risk for complications (HIV, cancer, the elderly, or the single parents) are afraid to go to Mass because they’re afraid they’ll get sick. So they stay home when they aren’t sick just to protect themselves. Frankly, I don’t blame them, and I don’t think they are sinning. But I’m not a priest and I can’t make that determination. Certainly their motives are pure.

I know that people say, “If you would go out anywhere else, then you should go to Mass.” But I personally agree with whoever said that going to the grocery store or pharmacy is a lot different than going to Mass or church. Mass or church means sitting in one place for an hour (longer for Protestants) in close quarters to others.

And no matter how careful you are to sneeze into a Kleenex, you’re still spreading viruses and possibly bacteria around. Yes, I agree, if you would go to a sit-down restaurant or a movie, then you can go to Mass. But this rule should not be interpreted so legalistically.

Bottom line is this: people, have a care. If you’re sick, please stay home.
 
Well we do live in a world ripe with disease and infections and it is altogether impossible to avoid getting sick regardless of how much we try to the contrary,just by getting on a plane or visiting the local mall can well mean getting some type of infection or virus and if we worried about it too much then we would become obsessed.
Realistically we cannot expect all those with colds or other minor ailments to refrain from Sunday Mass and to view such things as being offensive in some way is at best uncharitable,and at worst a selfish view for it suggests that my needs regarding the body are more important than the spiritual needs of those around me.
btw,no offense intended here! 🙂
 
I will go to the grocery store first and see how I feel. I just took my temp and I have a low grade fever consistent with a head cold.

I worked many years in home health and perhaps I am too conscientious about not making elderly people sick but when I absolutely had to make a visit when I was sick, I wore gloves and a face mask. I stayed as brief a time as possible, sprayed everything I came near with Lysol and changed gloves and washed my hands frequently. I never made anyone sick.

However, I don’t think I can go to Mass like that. And most of the congregation is older. It is one thing for a young healthy person to get a head cold and another for somebody in their 80’s.

I think if I sit in the very back, refuse to hold or shake hands then it might be OK. People do understand that you’re sick and don’t want to spread it. Thanks for answering.
If you have a fever you are contagious…your body is also telling you to slow down and take care of yourself…listen to what your body is telling you and stay home and rest…
 
Bottom line is this: people, have a care. If you’re sick, please stay home.
Who will pay for their bills? May be you are not aware that most people work in the private sector, and many get not payed sick-days.

As for staying out from the church being sick, this is the typical question which belongs to the bishop.

In the good old times, people were prevented to go in and out of the infected cities, but in the city itself the churches and stores operated, people needed them.
 
My only contribution to this will be to sy that if someone does choose to go to Mass when sick it is best to go to a Mass that is likely to be less crowded and and to sit as far away from others as is possible.

This will typically mean going to a “non-prime-time” Mass, perhaps an early one. But I figure if one feels too sick to get up extra early to go to Mass then maybe one really is too sick to go to Mass.
 
While its commendable that one would want to go to Mass no matter what, remember that what may seem as a manageable illness to you could be fatal to someone else. Remember that many of the devout Catholics are older people who’s immune system are not what they used to be, or are already compromised due to another condition or illness. So be charitable. This is the only charity where you refrain from giving 😃
 
Ok, last Sunday when I went to Mass, virtually everyone there was sneezing and coughing. Since this URI is pretty wide spread, I brought pocket size hand sanitizer which I discretely used often. I thought these people could have just stayed home.

Yesterday, I got it too. It’s not a really, really bad virus. Just a mild head cold. But given my reservations about people going to church where you are shoulder to shoulder in an enclosed space and shake hands and spread the virus, I am wondering if I should go today.

It’s not like I’m too sick to go. I will go to the grocery store and carry a bleach wipe to sanitize what I touch. But you’re not in close quarters coughing and sneezing on people in a grocery store.

So what do people think? Should I spread the joy or not?
If it’s just a mild cold, I’d go. If I had a fever, which suggests the flu, I’d stay home. I wouldn’t shake hands with anyone during the sign of the peace, though.
 
Who will pay for their bills? May be you are not aware that most people work in the private sector, and many get not payed sick-days.
I agree that people should stay home from work but I agree with you, unfortunately, some people can’t afford to stay home.
 
if you are too sick to go to work or school, or have symptoms that would keep a child out of a typical school or day care, you are too sick for Mass. If you have active upper respiratory symptoms that are going to be obvious (the messy kind), with or without tissue, you are a potential danger to everyone else at Mass including those with compromised immune systems. It is an act of charity to stay home, and in my mind an act of selfishness to go to Mass or anywhere else in public where people gather in enclosed places. In flu season it should be illegal.
 
I agree that people should stay home from work but I agree with you, unfortunately, some people can’t afford to stay home.
But many CAN afford to stay home. Many DO have sick time. Many WON’T lose their jobs if they stay home.

These people SHOULD stay home so that they will hopefully not infect one of the poor souls who has a crummy job with a Simon Legree manager who runs a rancid business that doesn’t provide sick leave with pay. As someone else mentioned, these poor folks CAN’T stay home when they are sick, or they will lose their jobs and become impoverished. I stated that in my previous post, laszlo. I’m aware of the unfortunate plight of these unfortunate people, and that’s one of the reasons I believe that sick people should stay at HOME, not trot out to Mass. We need try to protect those people who don’t have good job benefits.

And the Catholic Church should speak out against such evil business practices, and I think Holy Mother Church does speak out for fair business practices and accountability from managers.

But when Catholics insist that people must go to Mass even when they are spewing microbes all over the place, then no wonder Simon Legree feels that he/she is justified in forcing their employees to work sick or lose their jobs. After all, if the CHURCH insists on Mass attendance from those who are sick, why shouldn’t the same person be forced to work sick?

As you can tell, this subject is one that infuriates me because I’ve seen immunocompromised people sicken to the point of death from catching someone else’s minor cold. It’s selfishness. It’s not piety.

Our supervisor has hundreds of hours of leave time in her leave bank, but she doesn’t want to use it as “sick time.” She is saving it for more “vacation” time. And so every day last week she came to work hacking up her lungs. I and others in the department tried to stay out of her way as much as possible, and most of us wear gloves, so hopefully we’ll all be OK. But if I get sick, I’m going to raise the roof at work. She should have been sent home the first hour of the first day by the General Lab Manager.
 
It’s a golden rule thing.

Our pastor gives stern reminders every year, telling his parishioners that they not only have a dispensation but a duty to avoid the misplaced piety of going to Mass when they have something contagious or when they can’t get to Mass without putting life, femur, or property in danger because the roads are bad and the sidewalks are coated with ice.

The same goes with work, the grocery store, and school. We have a duty to be honest about how necessary our outings are when we have something contagious, compared to the health and well-being of both ourselves and others.

Having said that, there are coughs that just will not go away, and most people can’t quarantine themselves for the length of time needed to shake them. In that case, at least wash your hands coming and going, keep your hands away from your face, and don’t touch anything or anyone that you don’t have to…be devoted about keeping the microbes from spreading.

A guy I knew who worked at the health department suggested that it is safer to go to the first Mass of the day than the later ones, as microbes can often live for several hours on a surface such as the top of a pew in a church. If you can get in early and sit somewhere that you know hasn’t been touched by hands that were rubbing a nose moments ago, it ought to help.

Don’t get me started on people who think “sick leave” is for the days when they don’t feel like working because the weather is nice out, instead saving them for when they’re really sick.
 
It’s a golden rule thing.

Don’t get me started on people who think “sick leave” is for the days when they don’t feel like working because the weather is nice out, instead saving them for when they’re really sick.
Amen.
 
It’s a golden rule thing.

Having said that, there are coughs that just will not go away, and most people can’t quarantine themselves for the length of time needed to shake them. In that case, at least wash your hands coming and going, keep your hands away from your face, and don’t touch anything or anyone that you don’t have to…be devoted about keeping the microbes from spreading.
I agree. Post nasal drip due to allergies or even dry air can make people cough. So can smoking or heartburn (acid reflux disease).

But the OP mentioned a fever. Fevers mean infection, and infection means contagious.

Some people say that a small fever is nothing to worry about. I disagree. This varies from person to person. I personally am floored by a small fever. A fever means that the body is mounting a defense against some kind of invader (viral, bacterial, etc.). Think of millions of soldiers lining up to fight. When those soldiers start lining up in YOUR body, it means you should rest and let them fight it out.

And always remember that the people who are immunocompromised (HIV, cancer, etc.) have few or no soldiers, so if they catch whatever infection your mighty and brave soldiers are fighting, they won’t have any soldiers to fight, and the infection could make them extremely ill or even end their life.
 
But many CAN afford to stay home. Many DO have sick time. Many WON’T lose their jobs if they stay home.
The pink collars, the blue collars and agricultural helps does not have the privilege of payed sick leave.

The communist where usually bad, but related to the public health issues their resolution was like christian resolution: the medical care was free for everybody , everybody who was sick had to go to the physician, and get paid only if he got written approval of the physician to stay at home.

Simply to claim that sick shall stay home w/o providing the resources is unchristian thing.

As for the sick attending church and masses the problem is that the definition of being sick or even the measurable fever is different from family to family. In my family 38C (100F) is just temperature, fever starts at 39C (102F). I believe everybody stays at home with 102F or over fever.
 
It’s a golden rule thing.

Our pastor gives stern reminders every year, telling his parishioners that they not only have a dispensation but a duty to avoid the misplaced piety of going to Mass when they have something contagious or when they can’t get to Mass without putting life, femur, or property in danger because the roads are bad and the sidewalks are coated with ice.

The same goes with work, the grocery store, and school. We have a duty to be honest about how necessary our outings are when we have something contagious, compared to the health and well-being of both ourselves and others.

Having said that, there are coughs that just will not go away, and most people can’t quarantine themselves for the length of time needed to shake them. In that case, at least wash your hands coming and going, keep your hands away from your face, and don’t touch anything or anyone that you don’t have to…be devoted about keeping the microbes from spreading.

A guy I knew who worked at the health department suggested that it is safer to go to the first Mass of the day than the later ones, as microbes can often live for several hours on a surface such as the top of a pew in a church. If you can get in early and sit somewhere that you know hasn’t been touched by hands that were rubbing a nose moments ago, it ought to help.

Don’t get me started on people who think “sick leave” is for the days when they don’t feel like working because the weather is nice out, instead saving them for when they’re really sick.
I agree with all you mentioned. Our priest is like yours and has said similar things to the parishioners. He’d rather them be well than to put their health or life (when walking/driving to church in inclement weather) at risk.

If a person is getting over a cold and would like to go to mass, then I would only suggest that they attend a mass that isn’t crowded or stay away from other people. For myself, I am over-protective of my voice. I make my living with it, so if I get sick in which my vocal chords are inflamed to a point where I can’t sing, I could potentially lose a week of income which can make a difference in being able to pay the mortgage or other bills. My type of work does not provide sick leave. You lose the money and on top of that, you often have to find a replacement which can be difficult if it’s last minute… ie waking up the morning of a wedding or performance and discovering that you have no voice due to a cold, bronchitis, etc. If someone sits/stands next to me and begins to constantly sneeze, cough, wipe his/her nose, I will find a way move to a different seat, pew, etc. I just can’t risk it. I can sing with a headache, I even could sing when I had horrible morning sickness while I was pregnant. But if you’re vocal chords are affected, forget about it. It’s just not going to happen.
 
It’s a golden rule thing.

Our pastor gives stern reminders every year, telling his parishioners that they not only have a dispensation but a duty to avoid the misplaced piety of going to Mass when they have something contagious or when they can’t get to Mass without putting life, femur, or property in danger because the roads are bad and the sidewalks are coated with ice.

…

Don’t get me started on people who think “sick leave” is for the days when they don’t feel like working because the weather is nice out, instead saving them for when they’re really sick.
I agree with all you mentioned. Our priest is like yours and has said similar things to the parishioners. He’d rather them be well than to put their health or life (when walking/driving to church in inclement weather) at risk.

If a person is getting over a cold and would like to go to mass, then I would only suggest that they attend a mass that isn’t crowded or stay away from other people. For myself, I am over-protective of my voice. I make my living with it, so if I get sick in which my vocal chords are inflamed to a point where I can’t sing, I could potentially lose a week of income which can make a difference in being able to pay the mortgage or other bills. My type of work does not provide sick leave. You lose the money and on top of that, you often have to find a replacement which can be difficult if it’s last minute… ie waking up the morning of a wedding or performance and discovering that you have no voice due to a cold, bronchitis, etc. If someone sits/stands next to me and begins to constantly sneeze, cough, wipe his/her nose, I will find a way move to a different seat, pew, etc. I just can’t risk it. I can sing with a headache, I even could sing when I had horrible morning sickness while I was pregnant. But if you’re vocal chords are affected, forget about it. It’s just not going to happen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top