Good beginner objections book?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdrummer5

Guest
My mom is coming into town this weekend and based on a recent conversation her and I had I’m fairly sure she’s going to have quite a few questions and possibly some objections when I tell her I’m converting. So I’d like to be prepared for anything that may come up. Can anyone recommend a good book that provides simple answers to common objections to the faith?
 
Which church does your Mom attend? I might be able to find some Journey Home programs.
 
Which church does your Mom attend? I might be able to find some Journey Home programs.
:rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry… that’s just funny. Not that you’d have known but for reasons I won’t get into the idea of my mom attending Church is quite ammusing to me.

Background: Mom grew up in a strict Southern Baptist home and converted to Judaism some time in her youth. She has not been to a synagogue (that I’m aware of) since the last time I was which was at least 16 years ago. In her view while she does not criticize any faith she’s very strong in her objections to them and does what most non-believers do, including what I used to do. She looks at it strictly from a logic perspective and since there’s no hard evidence that God existed or that Jesus is his son she chooses not to believe as she will not take things based on faith alone. Basically she’s where I was less than a year ago, an agnostic that calls herself a Jew, she fully believes God is real but looks at the bible as nothing more than stories that one can take lessons from.

So… while I’m very strong in my new faith I’m very aware of her views on it as I once shared them… the problem is that I lack the knowledge to give logical rebuttals for her objections which as I understand it are quite common among non-believers. “If God loves all, why is there suffering?”…“Why did God create Satan?”… things like that.

To clarify… I’m not looking to convert her. Based on my prior experience I will never actively TRY to convert anyone especially her. I will not get into the story of my conversion (it’s linked below) but knowing how much alike her and I think the worst thing I could ever if trying to convert her would be just that, trying to convert her. That said, if nothing else I do hope that the change in my thinking and beliefs either gets her to consider it or at the very least renew her relationship with God through Judaism.
 
:rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry… that’s just funny. Not that you’d have known but for reasons I won’t get into the idea of my mom attending Church is quite ammusing to me.

Background: Mom grew up in a strict Southern Baptist home and converted to Judaism some time in her youth. She has not been to a synagogue (that I’m aware of) since the last time I was which was at least 16 years ago. In her view while she does not criticize any faith she’s very strong in her objections to them and does what most non-believers do, including what I used to do. She looks at it strictly from a logic perspective and since there’s no hard evidence that God existed or that Jesus is his son she chooses not to believe as she will not take things based on faith alone. Basically she’s where I was less than a year ago, an agnostic that calls herself a Jew, she fully believes God is real but looks at the bible as nothing more than stories that one can take lessons from.

So… while I’m very strong in my new faith I’m very aware of her views on it as I once shared them… the problem is that I lack the knowledge to give logical rebuttals for her objections which as I understand it are quite common among non-believers. “If God loves all, why is there suffering?”…“Why did God create Satan?”… things like that.

To clarify… I’m not looking to convert her. Based on my prior experience I will never actively TRY to convert anyone especially her. I will not get into the story of my conversion (it’s linked below) but knowing how much alike her and I think the worst thing I could ever if trying to convert her would be just that, trying to convert her. That said, if nothing else I do hope that the change in my thinking and beliefs either gets her to consider it or at the very least renew her relationship with God through Judaism.
The best source for anything Catholic would be the Summa of St. Thomas: newadvent.org/summa/index.html You would have to learn where things are in it but I’m sure you will find answers there.
 
My mom is coming into town this weekend and based on a recent conversation her and I had I’m fairly sure she’s going to have quite a few questions and possibly some objections when I tell her I’m converting. So I’d like to be prepared for anything that may come up. Can anyone recommend a good book that provides simple answers to common objections to the faith?
There are things you will not be able to answer, and just be honest and tell her you will look it up or ask or research it and send her the reply or answer later. If she is looking for Biblical basis of Catholicism, there are books or tracts out there, especially on this site. Direct her to this site, if you wish. But just be honest, and pray for her.
 
Alan Schreck’s Catholic and Christian is good. Karl Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism is also good - but a bit weightier. I like Mr. Schreck better for the introduction and Mr. Keating’s for the more theologically demanding. Conversion stories such as Scott Hahn’s might be the way to go too depending on if she prefers a ‘story’ that happens to cover some objections or a more systematic approach like Schreck or Keating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top