G
grampben
Guest
I think in recent history it has been more dangerous to call oneself a catholic here than in the States.Maybe in Ulster, but not here in the States.
I meant the mainline denominations, coming form the main reformers: Lutherans, Reformed churches, anglicanism etc. They all adhere to the historic creeds, which include the word ‘catholic’.
I understand though that the biggest face of American christianity is the independent evangelical churches and Southern Baptists etc. These guys descend largely from the anabaptists, who called for total restoration of the church, rather than Luther, Zwingli and Calvin’s views that some things in the church needed correcting. The anabaptists mostly rejected the historic creeds. In addition, the first christians to come to the USA were congregationalist puritans, who held that the congregation held the jurisdiction for interpretation of scripture etc, and so many ignored the creeds.
I hope that explains where I’m coming form better, I wasn’t referring just to American Christianity when I made that first comment.