Good reason to boycott Amazon

  • Thread starter Thread starter CHRISTINE77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is claiming boycotts are the answer to everything.
Apparently, the OP is.
, the primary purpose of a boycott is not necessarily to effect the corporation.
Really, then what is the purpose? Why would anyone boycott Amazon if they did not wish to effect the company?
Some people just want to avoid as much material cooperation with evil as is reasonably possible.
Material cooperation with evil, huh? :rolleyes: I’ve got news for you; the grocery store you shop at sells condoms, beer, liquor and cigarettes and their pharmacies sell birth control and perhaps Plan B. The same for the place you buy your gas. The other corporate stores that you shop at either give support to causes you call “evil” through their business practices, through the groups or activities they support or even through some of the mutual funds that are part of their 401k programs. The taxes you pay every year to the state and federal government go toward things that can be described as “evil.” Even the internet that you are using at this very moment lends itself to material cooperation with evil. And as someone else pointed, even the local library can have things that can be considered objectionable. So tell me, what are you going to do?
The original poster should be encouraged and not rebuked.
You are the only one so far who has fallen on the same side as the OP. What does that tell you? 🤷
 
Why do people think that boycotts are the answer to everything? I remember boycotts my whole life against major corporations and none of them have ever had any measurable effect. I happen to like my Amazon Prime membership with free 2nd day delivery for $99 a year and really see no reason to quit it because of something as trivial as a stupid tv show.

If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it.
OK.

I DO think a good many boycotts are successful. The key thing is to be able to have the media trumpet it for you. Many of the causes I care about do not get this kind of media attention and issue promotion.

I have substantially reduced purchases from Amazon; it’s a last resort, using instead sellers operating on ebay. I think for me it’s the right way to go. And of course the owner of the company blew a million into sodomite marriage.
 
Boy people sure do love Amazon!!! Hilarious!!😃 Well, I was an Amazon-obsessed purchaser too, but luckily this show woke me up. Now I can save a lot more money!

Okay instead of the boycotting issue, how about this disgusting program about trans parents? This is an Amazon-made show. They will probably putting out more of this kind of trash too. They are obviously trying to legitimize LGBT issues and they obviously have a captive and loyal audience.
 
OK.

I DO think a good many boycotts are successful. The key thing is to be able to have the media trumpet it for you. Many of the causes I care about do not get this kind of media attention and issue promotion.

I have substantially reduced purchases from Amazon; it’s a last resort, using instead sellers operating on ebay. I think for me it’s the right way to go.
Amazon uses tens of thousands of vendors to sell product and have the ability to deliver it in a short time. I would be willing to bet that many of the vendors that you do business with on eBay also either have a relationship with Amazon or would love to have one. If it makes you feel good about yourself, then fine. But have you looked into the mutual funds that your 401k is invested in???
And of course the owner of the company blew a million into sodomite marriage.
“Sodomite marriage?” :rolleyes: Perhaps it was this type of attitude Pope Francis was referring to when he said that some Catholics are “obsessed” with certain things. Sodomite marriage??? Really??? If someone that you work with is gay, do you refer to him as a “sodomite?”
 
Tru dat.
Besides, I love their new Amazon Smile program, where part of each of my Prime purchase goes to Catholic Relief Service.
Oh brother. I give a monthly donation to Catholic Relief Services. I don’t need Amazon to do it for me.
 
Oh brother. I give a monthly donation to Catholic Relief Services. I don’t need Amazon to do it for me.
She said that Amazon gives to CRS whenever she* buys* something from them in addition to anything she might give. A little more is certainly a good thing, isn’t it?
 
She said that Amazon gives to CRS whenever she* buys* something from them in addition to anything she might give. A little more is certainly a good thing, isn’t it?
I wonder how much? Probably not much. It would be better if she didn’t buy and use the money she saved to donate.
 
I wonder how much? Probably not much. It would be better if she didn’t buy and use the money she saved to donate.
Good grief. Give it a rest. You started a thread that has gone two pages and you’ve only had one supporter. Obviously, no one else feels the same way. And I’m sure that if Clare is ever concerned about where you think she should spend her money, she’ll ask.
 
Instead of boycotting use Amazon Smile and support a pro life or pro traditional marriage cause with your purchases.
 
I wonder how much? Probably not much. It would be better if she didn’t buy and use the money she saved to donate.
I’ll be sure to tell my cats you think I should spend their food money on a donation instead.
 
I wonder how much? Probably not much. It would be better if she didn’t buy and use the money she saved to donate.
Please don’t try to guilt-trip people. I’m sure u realize, but u can’t control what companies do with their money and what they support. If we were to boycott every company out there that supports something that’s against Church teaching, we’d be hard pressed to be able to buy much of anything, including food. You are free to boycott Amazon, of course, and I’m not going to dissuade u from trying to do so (since I can understand your reasoning), and will mention that Michelle Arnold, one of the CAF apologists here, would agree (as would I) that boycotting companies that support morally objectionable practices can be meritorious actions (but people are not morally obliged to join): catholic.com/quickquestions/are-we-morally-obliged-to-boycott-businesses-that-support-abortion-or-that-grant-same.

Edit:

Personally, I think possibly the best course of action for Christians for this particular case would be to write/email/call/etc. Amazon and let them know that they find their new program objectionable and would like for them to remove it.
 
Oh brother. I give a monthly donation to Catholic Relief Services. I don’t need Amazon to do it for me.
And why do you assume that they are “doing it for me?”
I know that part of my purchases don’t go to CRS from any other place. I’m talking IN ADDITION to what normally goes there.
Sheesh.

And by the way…the sellers on ebay are the same store fronts that sell on Amazon in many cases. They are simply shipped out from another place. I know, I frequent both large 3rd party vendors.
 
Please don’t try to guilt-trip people. I’m sure u realize, but u can’t control what companies do with their money and what they support. If we were to boycott every company out there that supports something that’s against Church teaching, we’d be hard pressed to be able to buy much of anything, including food. You are free to boycott Amazon, of course, and I’m not going to dissuade u from trying to do so (since I can understand your reasoning), and will mention that Michelle Arnold, one of the CAF apologists here, would agree (as would I) that boycotting companies that support morally objectionable practices can be meritorious actions (but people are not morally obliged to join): catholic.com/quickquestions/are-we-morally-obliged-to-boycott-businesses-that-support-abortion-or-that-grant-same.

Edit:

Personally, I think possibly the best 👍 of action for Christians for this particular case would be to write/email/call/etc. Amazon and let them know that they find their new program objectionable and would like for them to remove it
.
Good idea! Then, they know what you’re doing, the numbers of you who feel this way, and why.
 
I think the OP is talking about avoiding what you can avoid, so snarky replies like shopping at your grocery which sells condoms or pharmacies that sell birth control pills don’t apply. :rolleyes:

And yes, we are not called to be effective, but to be faithful.

If the OP wants to boycott Amazon, then so be it. If you don’t want to, then don’t.
 
Setting aside the issue of boycotting, I do think that this show is indicative of changes in media production as a whole. With these “direct-to-streaming” shows, they can take chances on stuff that the major networks would be hesitant to follow through with. Now, this could be good in that it opens the door for quality programming that otherwise wouldn’t see the light of day. But of course it also opens the door to shows like this that push the envelope past its breaking point.

What I find interesting is the level of deliberation that went into making this a “trans friendly” show. They sought out employees, extras, and not one but two consultants just to make sure everything was authentic. If only Hollywood took such care in its portrayal of Christianity.

I kept seeing the ad for this show pop up on the Amazon Video home screen for the last few weeks and was confused by the picture of Jeffrey Tambor with nail polish. I figured it might have something to do with cross-dressing, but it wasn’t until my wife pointed it out that I recognized the meaning of the show title: “Transparent” = “Trans Parent”. It’s a clever title, I’ll give them that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top