Gospel for Holy Family

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicAJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicAJ

Guest
After Mass for the Holy Family, someone I know struggled with the Gospel. Jesus says to Mary and Joseph, “I must be in my Father’s house.” They “did not understand what he said to them.”

Now, if Mary and Joseph both were visited by angels, then why would they be confused over Jesus’ words?
 
Now, if Mary and Joseph both were visited by angels, then why would they be confused over Jesus’ words?
Good question! A good spectulative answer would be; yes they knew from the angel Jesus was the Son of God sent as Messiah, but didn’t know all the details of how He would carry out His mission on earth. After all Jesus was only 12 at the time of today’s Gospel story, and they probably didn’t understand He was then being Messiah that young, even though that was just about the age of religious maturity in Judiasm. I saw a thread the other day that asked “When did Jesus know he was God?” Not such a good question for a believer.
 
It is possible that even though they knew he was the messiah, and the son of God, they just plain did not know what he meant by that statement. I wonder myself why did he have to be in his fathers house?
 
It is possible that even though they knew he was the messiah, and the son of God, they just plain did not know what he meant by that statement. I wonder myself why did he have to be in his fathers house?
One thought I’ve had is that it could be to fulfill the prophecy in Isaiah 11 - a messianic chapter.
Is 11:6 “…and a little child shall lead them.”

Nita
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top