Gospel of Mark Chapter 4 Verses 24-25

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Ro
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Ro

Guest
To the one who has, more will be given;
from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”

I have tried to find a Catholic Resource that could explain this passage to me. I looked at Haydcock Commentary and found it a bit unsatisfying. Could anyone point me to other Catholic sources that elaborate on this passage. While I appreciate anyones’ opinion, I am looking for something more…shall I say…ahem…authoritative. :o
 
Well let’s take it into context and see what Mark was trying to tell us.

[BIBLEDRB]Mark_4:21-22[/BIBLEDRB]
Mark is saying a candle’s light is not put under a bushel or bed (it’s function is useless) but put on a stand to reveal.

In the same way, the mystery of the kingdom is hidden and secret but will be made manifest in the light. Luke 12:2

Jesus as we know is the light of the world and will revel this to us. John 8:12

Now lets move on to the second part.

[BIBLEDRB]Mark_4:23[/BIBLEDRB]

Knowing that Jesus is the compared to a light that will reveal “those who have ears ought to hear” since it is important! It’s only God speaking right? 😛 But in all seriousness Mark is saying we must hear Jesus out.

[BIBLEDRB]Mark_4:24-25[/BIBLEDRB]

The final part shows the difference between those who hear and those who don’t. If you listen attentively to the good news of the Lord you will be blessed (it will be measured to you again…and more…)! However, if you do not care, anything you do have will be taken from you. You have all to lose if you do not hear the word of God.

Let us then listen to St. John the Baptist’s echo…We cannot afford to miss the Lord’s gracious gift, His son Jesus Christ. We must prepare and be aware.

[BIBLEDRB]Isaiah 40: 3[/BIBLEDRB]
 
To the one who has, more will be given;
from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”

I have tried to find a Catholic Resource that could explain this passage to me. I looked at Haydcock Commentary and found it a bit unsatisfying. Could anyone point me to other Catholic sources that elaborate on this passage. While I appreciate anyones’ opinion, I am looking for something more…shall I say…ahem…authoritative. :o
Hi Big Ro.
Here is what the Christian Community Bible (Catholic Pastoral Edition) has to say on these verses:

‘Jesus warns us, “You waste your time if you only listen to me yet do not allow what you hear to bear fruit. The measure that you measure out will be the measure that you receive. That is to say, if you begin to act according to what you have learned, you will receive from God new strength and new knowledge. If you do nothing, even your religious beliefs will be of no value to you, not even when you present yourself before God. You read my Gospel, but now challenge yourselves before you follow any further.”
*Whatever is hidden. * The word works secretly within the heart but when we discover the transformation that is at work in our life, we readily proclaim Christ and make known to others the secret that has made us happy (Eph. 2:4; Col. 3:3; Phil. 2:10).’

Hope this helps.
God Bless,
Colmcille.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top