Gossip/Detraction - Mortal Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MN19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MN19

Guest
Yesterday at work, I passed word along to one of my coworkers about two of my other coworkers who had gotten in trouble for making a mistake on the job, and made some further conversation about it with someone else. I’m not entirely sure if I’m guilty of committing the sin of gossip or detraction and if this case was a mortal sin. I should add that I was somewhat suspicious it could be a sin when I spoke it but not 100% sure, and I was not trying to destroy the reputation of the people involved, mainly just to inform the other person.
 
Why would you need to inform others if the other worker already “got in trouble” over it?
Sounds like gossip to me, especially since you said you were “suspicious” it could be a sin when you said it. Is part of your job description to pass along word to people of other people’s mistakes?
 
Last edited:
Was there some work-related reason you needed to tell this?

For example, “Be sure you don’t do XYZ today when you’re working. Joe and Jim did XYZ last week and both of them are in trouble for it, so we all need to be careful not to make that mistake. Pass the word.” Obviously the purpose here is not to harm the reputation of Joe and Jim but to make sure that people don’t repeat the work mistake, which could harm productivity or get someone disciplined.

Or another example, "Joe and Jim aren’t going to be working in here today because they got reassigned for making a mistake on the job. " Again, this isn’t to harm the reputation of Joe and Jim, it’s to let people know that Joe and Jim won’t be working.

Or another example, "Joe and Jim made this mistake last week and got reprimanded by the boss. How can we fix our process or train our workers better, so our workers don’t make the mistake again? "

It’s pretty normal to discuss work mistakes for some work-related purpose, such as warning others not to make the same mistake, or process improvement. If we never discussed mistakes made at work then we would be missing out on a lot of learning and improvement opportunities. So if you had a legitimate reason to discuss the mistake, and it wasn’t just to tell juicy stories about Joe and Jim, then don’t worry about it.
 
Are these two other coworkers likely to suffer grave harm (ie: losing a job making it difficult to provide for a family) as a result? If not, even if it were detraction, I doubt it would be objectively grave matter.
 
Yesterday at work, I passed word along to one of my coworkers about two of my other coworkers who had gotten in trouble for making a mistake on the job, and made some further conversation about it with someone else. I’m not entirely sure if I’m guilty of committing the sin of gossip or detraction and if this case was a mortal sin.
Did these people you spoke with need to know about the ones who got in trouble? That’s the key question.
 
It is a grace from God to see our sins.
And I am thankful every time.
Its not something anyone, another person, should criticize you for.
Sometimes talking with your priest can help alot.
Blessings~
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top