L
losh14
Guest
I know that it is good, and advisable, to partake of the Eucharist frequently, if not daily. My question is, how long can one go without receiving the Eucharist under either Specie without falling from Grace?
I’m a practicing Catholic and I also have celiac disease, which means that if I ingest something containing gluten (for example, the wheat in the bread which is consecrated into the Body of Christ) I’m violently ill for the next day or two, missing work and not helping out with family needs. So for the three years since my diagnosis I partake of the Most Precious Blood only.
At this time of year, with the flu season abounding, our parish tends not to make the Cup available, partly because no one takes of it when everyone else is coughing and sneezing. On those days, I walk up behind my wife, bow alongside her to reverence the Body, and walk back to our pew, saying an Act of Spiritual Communion. It’s unpredictable when we’ll see the Cup, or - because we have small kids and tend to sit in the back - if there will be any left for me by the time we get up there. There have been a number of times when I see the Extraordinary Minister or Deacon cover the Cup with her or his hand and I wonder if the Spirit is telling me that I have an unconfessed sin.
More broadly, I wonder about Catholics who desire, but aren’t able, to receive the Eucharist for other reasons - they travel or live far from a Catholic Church, or are homebound. The Act of Spiritual Communion is intended for a single Mass, but is there perhaps a greater devotion that one can participate in, even away from the Adoration Chapel, that worships Christ in the Eucharist imparting Grace in a sufficiently similar way?
I’m a practicing Catholic and I also have celiac disease, which means that if I ingest something containing gluten (for example, the wheat in the bread which is consecrated into the Body of Christ) I’m violently ill for the next day or two, missing work and not helping out with family needs. So for the three years since my diagnosis I partake of the Most Precious Blood only.
At this time of year, with the flu season abounding, our parish tends not to make the Cup available, partly because no one takes of it when everyone else is coughing and sneezing. On those days, I walk up behind my wife, bow alongside her to reverence the Body, and walk back to our pew, saying an Act of Spiritual Communion. It’s unpredictable when we’ll see the Cup, or - because we have small kids and tend to sit in the back - if there will be any left for me by the time we get up there. There have been a number of times when I see the Extraordinary Minister or Deacon cover the Cup with her or his hand and I wonder if the Spirit is telling me that I have an unconfessed sin.
More broadly, I wonder about Catholics who desire, but aren’t able, to receive the Eucharist for other reasons - they travel or live far from a Catholic Church, or are homebound. The Act of Spiritual Communion is intended for a single Mass, but is there perhaps a greater devotion that one can participate in, even away from the Adoration Chapel, that worships Christ in the Eucharist imparting Grace in a sufficiently similar way?