Grail Psalms

  • Thread starter Thread starter JeanneH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeanneH

Guest
Hi,
Can some one please tell me the difference between the Grail Psalms and "other"psalms?:confused:
It seems that some on the forum seem to think that the Grail psalms are better.
thanks
Jeanne
 
They’re just a diferent translation, thats all. Many just prefer their lyrical quality, hence why they were chosen for the English Liturgy.

Matt
 
The Grail Psalms aren’t that great. The claim to be but the language is flat and sometimes inclusive. Essentially, these are the Psalms translated into English with political sensitivities at the forefront.

There isn’t anything “wrong” with them, but they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea shall we say. In fact I had to stop praying the modern Liturgy of the Hours because the language was so smoothed over in the Psalms that I wasn’t able to pay attention.

Not all modern Psalm translations are that way though. For instance, Catholic Book Publishing Company puts out a great little book called the NCV Psalms with orthodox commentary. They did a nice job and its not expensive at all.
 
The Grail Psalms aren’t that great. The claim to be but the language is flat and sometimes inclusive. Essentially, these are the Psalms translated into English with political sensitivities at the forefront.

There isn’t anything “wrong” with them, but they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea shall we say. In fact I had to stop praying the modern Liturgy of the Hours because the language was so smoothed over in the Psalms that I wasn’t able to pay attention.

Not all modern Psalm translations are that way though. For instance, Catholic Book Publishing Company puts out a great little book called the NCV Psalms with orthodox commentary. They did a nice job and its not expensive at all.
The reason I asked is that a lot of posters are saying that the CTS bible is like the Jerusalem bible, which I love, but mentioned the Grail Psalms. I did order the CTS bible from the UK and am awaiting its arrival. My Jerusalem bible is a little worn.
thanks for your insights and I will investigate the NCV Psalms that you mentioned.
thanks again
Jeanne
 
Yup, my understanding is that the CTS Bible has the Grail Psalms. I was seriously considering getting one until I read that. Now I am less enthusiastic but not turned off to the idea completely. I read the Psalms in my Latin/English Monastic Diurnal anyway, and not right out of the Bible. The MD uses its only translation which is from the Vulgate.
 
the Grail Psalms are better than those in the Jerusalem and New American Bible. I still prefer the Psalms from the Douay-Rheims
 
Yup, my understanding is that the CTS Bible has the Grail Psalms. I was seriously considering getting one until I read that. Now I am less enthusiastic but not turned off to the idea completely. I read the Psalms in my Latin/English Monastic Diurnal anyway, and not right out of the Bible. The MD uses its only translation which is from the Vulgate.
Isn’t the version of the Grail Psalms used for the CTS New Catholic Bible is the 1963 version, approved by the Vatican, which does not feature inclusive language?
 
the Grail Psalms are better than those in the Jerusalem and New American Bible. I still prefer the Psalms from the Douay-Rheims
I am not sure about that, I like very much some of the expressions and renderings in the Jerusalem Bible & New Jerusalem Bible Psalms.
 
Isn’t the version of the Grail Psalms used for the CTS New Catholic Bible is the 1963 version, approved by the Vatican, which does not feature inclusive language?
I have no idea. My issue isn’t as much with the inclusive language, although I abhore that as a general rule, but with the smoothed-over and dumbed down language. So as far as which version of the Grail is used I am not aware.
 
Isn’t the version of the Grail Psalms used for the CTS New Catholic Bible is the 1963 version, approved by the Vatican, which does not feature inclusive language?
I was under the same impression, since the CTS New Catholic Bible brochure clearly says their scriptures are completely free from inclusive language. I’m sure they are.
 
this thread is not too old to resurrect,
diocesan bulletin says reviving and revising the Grail Psalter for use in liturgy is on the bishop’s agenda, and I want to know what you experts know about this, your opinion etc.
 
I would love to just SEE the revised Grail Psalter. Does anyone know where we can do that?
 
this thread is not too old to resurrect,
diocesan bulletin says reviving and revising the Grail Psalter for use in liturgy is on the bishop’s agenda, and I want to know what you experts know about this, your opinion etc.
The USCCB just approved the use of the Revised Grail Psalms over the use of those in the NAB (1970 and 1991) for the Liturgy. The NAB Bible is kind of falling apart at the seams (for its usage in the Liturgy.)
 
The reason I asked is that a lot of posters are saying that the CTS bible is like the Jerusalem bible, which I love, but mentioned the Grail Psalms. I did order the CTS bible from the UK and am awaiting its arrival. My Jerusalem bible is a little worn.
thanks for your insights and I will investigate the NCV Psalms that you mentioned.
thanks again
Jeanne
I see that this post was from a while back, so you should have had ample time to review the CTS bible:D Off-topic I guess, but how do you like it? Are the notes and cross-refs the same as the original JB? Do you like the Psalms? I have been looking at this bible for a while but can’t bring myself to commit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top