Latin ate my lunch, so I never got to Greek-- but to point out until the better-educated arrive in the thread, Jesus had plenty of opportunity to make his intentions clear once everyone started grumbling. But instead of saying, “Hey, look at my figurative language!” he repeats himself very insistently.
So you start off with John 6:35:
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
and they grumble. And Jesus tells them to stop grumbling and repeats in 6:48:
I am the bread of life.
and goes on to repeat in 6:51:
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
and his audience thinks that’s crazy and start to argue amongst themselves. And rather than soothing their ruffled feathers, he follows up with 6:53 onward:
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.
And they had enough of that kind of talk, and decided no one could put up with that kind of teaching. And instead of saying, “Wait, wait! Let me explain-- you didn’t understand!” he coolly asks if they’re offended by it. And a bunch of people did leave because they *were *offended.
So, yeah. While the Greek would be helpful in understanding nuance, it doesn’t seem like nuance was much in play for the conversation.
