Grey Market - Okay morally or sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tim342
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim342

Guest
I am wondering about the moral implications of being involved grey market for goods. Is it okay to deal in the grey market? Is there a difference between buying grey market goods and selling grey market goods? The supreme court continually rules that the grey market is okay. I just am wondering from a catholic standpoint.

If sinful would it be a serious/grave matter?

Since there is nothing illegal about it, I would assume that there is nothing seriously wrong with it.
 
Last edited:
Lets say I buy something from a store in Japan and resell it in the U.S. The item is real and it is not being misrepresented.

It’s just outside of normal distribution channels for the company since one company is contracted to do all the distribution in the U.S. However I haven’t entered into any contract with the company. I am just buying from a retail store and reselling elsewhere.
 
Last edited:
Interesting. I suppose there would be the question of paying import taxes/tarriffs/etc. But I don’t see anything problematic with you reselling something you’ve obtained legally.

I’m not a moral theologian, so take my thoughts with a huge grain of salt.
 
Make it known to the buyer that it is a parallel import that i guess would not be covered under warranty ?
 
I just worried about undercutting legitimate sellers and going against the companies wishes.
 
I would think the biggest worry would be getting in trouble with Customs.
 
I would understand more for something that destabilizing.

But a lot of these items are just a few dollars difference. Think $15 vs $17 or on higher priced items, $110 vs 125.
 
As long as the merchandise has not been stolen or obtained illegally, I can’t see how this would be morally problematical. If I am understanding it correctly, “grey market” items are sold outside of their normal distribution channels, in markets where they are not intended to be sold. Warranties and other certifications can be rendered null and void, but if the customer buys the item having been made aware of this, there is no moral dimension. Years ago I purchased a multi-standard (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) DVD/VCR combination made for the Hong Kong market so that I could watch DVDs and VCR tapes from Europe, with dual voltage and one of those huge British power plugs (need an adapter to plug it into North American sockets), and was made aware that warranties and customer service would not be available. It works fine and my family watched a movie on it just last night.
 
There are lots of businesses that do that sort of thing ethically.

For example-- I used to collect animation art. Some Japanese people didn’t like their animation art leaving the country, and wouldn’t ship overseas. Or the language barrier. Or dealing with EMS/Customs. So, we would purchase through a Japanese company that would bid on your behalf, and then ship overseas for you, in exchange for a fee. So yes, your item would be slightly more expensive, but you were paying to eliminate the language hassle, and to not have to worry about whether the item you wanted was from someone who cared or didn’t care about the nationality of the buyer.

The same deputy bidder company eventually got into a wider variety of goods, to make things accessible outside of their original limited market. Model kits that weren’t released in our area, or clothing items, or CDs/DVDs. (Not the HK R0’s pirated stuff, but the genuine R2’s that were so nichey they never saw a R1 release.)

So, in one sense, yes, reselling can be ethical, if it’s, say, something like a Tonde Buurin alarm clock. Or something.

On the other hand, there are certain companies that pay Large Amounts of Money to ensure that they are the only distributor of Item X in the United States. They do not look kindly on people who either bring in bootleg copies of X, or who try to work around their monopoly on being the sole purveyors of X. That is not ethical.
 
Last edited:
If you are talking about traveling as a tourist and buying something at the request of a friend, I wouldn’t even think of that as grey or any market. It’s souvenirs… for a friend.

I did that once. A friend heard that I was traveling, and asked me if I could buy, on her behalf, a few porcelain figurines which were much less expensive in the country of origin.
 
Last edited:
"midori:
On the other hand, there are certain companies that pay Large Amounts of Money to ensure that they are the only distributor of Item X in the United States. They do not look kindly on people who either bring in bootleg copies of X, or who try to work around their monopoly on being the sole purveyors of X. That is not ethical.
There is one company that is the only distributor but they sell to tons of other companies to resell the goods.

I started selling this item early on when there wasn’t a real presence of the good on the internet (there still isn’t much of one). I found out much later that a company had an exclusivity agreement to be the sole distributor in the U.S. market. However I figured since I didn’t enter into any agreement and I wasn’t selling fake items that there was nothing wrong with it. Especially since the Supreme court has rules that there is nothing wrong with it. (If the big ethical concern is breaking laws/business agreements, and the Supreme court says it doesn’t then I would think it would be considered fine)
 
Last edited:
Companies pay licensing fees for certain territories. Example: An American company pays a licensing fee to a Japanese company to be their exclusive North American distributor for a line of collectible figures. Others in North America bring them in from Japan through any means available.
 
Last edited:
OP, are you talking about large-scale?! I’d think on a small scale there’s no issue. You want to go to all the trouble of flying to Japan to buy something and resell it for more here? Why not. I doubt you’d make enough to cover your airline ticket. I hope you have other reasons for visiting Japan!
 
They ship me the items and I pay customs/ect on them. Maybe 5-20 items a month. I doubt the manufacturer even notices.
 
They ship me the items and I pay customs/ect on them. Maybe 5-20 items a month. I doubt the manufacturer even notices.
Sounds morally fine to me! And if it disturbs consumers they don’t have to buy from you. That’s the beauty of the free market.
 
They ship me the items and I pay customs/ect on them. Maybe 5-20 items a month. I doubt the manufacturer even notices.
Is it the manufacturer of the items that ships them to you? Or a retailer?

If it’s the manufacturer, they’re the ones circumventing any exclusive distribution network they might have in the U.S.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top